A little help for a newbie - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 02:23 PM

A little help for a newbie

I've just taken up saltwater fly fishing and since I'm not that familiar with the cape I was hoping that some folks on here wouldn't mind helping out a new guy.

I currently live in Shrewsbury and was hoping to start making some trips down to the cape when I can to do some wading.

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it. Or if you could just point me in a good direction, I would appreciate it.

-Bostoned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I would start out with some comfortable and easier venues then advance to more complex later...

One rhyme I made up that works for me is "early or late, moving water and bait". For instance if you go virtually anywhere on the cape at dawn or dusk where the water is moving due to tide change and there is lots of bait you gotta like the chances of stripers or blues showing up.

Pass up the canal at first, and concentrate on the south side (sound). The bayside tides are very quick to rise and can be dangerous. If you are going to fish the bayside always fish it on the drop while learning the ropes.

The south side tide change is small in comparison and you won't need to worry nearly as much. Just don't get out onto isolated bars and structures on a rising tide.

I would suggest hitting the river mouths and adjacent jetties when the tide is high in the morning, very early. You can hit beaches in Yarmouth and Dennis, Harwich and Chatham until you find the fish if you start real early. Just make sure there is bait around to pull the fish to the shoreline. This should get you into some action without too much trouble.

Then take the Rip Ryder over to South Beach. This passenger ferry will drop you off on a stretch of raw unadulterated beach and flat. Explore and learn - keep your eyes open if the sun is shining expect to see fish in very shallow water. Cast ahead of them in the direction they are going, well ahead to avoid spooking them and see if they will eat your fly.

Nauset and Race Pt are big beaches with big surf, I'd stick with the sound, estuaries and river mouths, Morris Island or South Beach in Chatham initially until you get things sorted out a little.

Keep an eye out and try to hook up with forum members on outings for the best bet! Don't be shy we are a very accomodating group.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure where to start, on the bayside of the cape or go right for the ocean side and maybe monomoy.

It sounds like I should stick to the ocean side and hit monomoy. Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the advice.

-Bostoned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.