Lower unit for 90 hp Merc - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 12:43 PM
CantAnchorUs

Lower unit for 90 hp Merc

Help! I need a lower unit for my motor ASAP or my season`s over. Had a too close encounter with a rock today and sheared off half off my lower unit. Have no idea of where or how to get a replacement. Thought of going on E-bay but I don`t know if it`s a job I can do myself and how would I be sure it`s the right part?

Slinger
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2006, 08:56 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Steve,

It's not too bad a job putting on a new unit, few hours tops. I could help find one if you posted the model and year of the 90HP mercury so I could check around for you.

I sent you a PM and replied to another thread with some search results from google.
I also have a good friend who is a master marine mechanic and mercury dealer. I have dropped the lower unit on mine and changed out the impeller and cup, as well as repaired the screen for the water intake. Biggest hassle is getting the right tools and getting the old unit off. If it hasn't been serviced in a while the shaft can get stuck, worst case they have to be cut off but that's unusual.

Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Jonesin...

Steve,

Very sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully you will be able to get something done before the season's out. I can't help with the DIY yourself portion but I think Greg is spot on in that a little more info such as year, model number maybe even the "VIN" might help in locating a used one. Can you get some pictures of the damage and email them to me? Might help people understand the extent of the damage and what you would need to fix.

Sean
Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 PM
CantAnchorUs

Sean, boats at the shop now! Lucked into a place that had just the right part in E.Prov and he said it might be ready as soon as Wed. Price is a little steep, $700 for the unit plus installation, but I`ll be back in the game. Quit holding out, how many? My buddy saw you out there, he stuck 5.
Slinger
Old 09-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Jonesin...

Steve,

I don't know what you are talking about. But if I did I would tell you that I stuck 5 and landed 4 over a day and a half. Boat totals were 6 for 9.

Sean
Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Slinger, Hope you're back on the water soon, good luck with the repairs.
Sean, You made the right move. I hit the SWC and if you've read any of the reports on the other boards you already know it was a joke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.