Going to Idaho and Wyoming - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 05:29 AM

Going to Idaho and Wyoming

Hi all,
I am planning a trip to Idaho and Wyoming in Late July / August and was wondering if anyone has any experience and or tips they would like to share with me. Being generally located in Central Mass I have never had the experience of fishing out west. Being in what some would call the mecca of trout fishing in the US, I am not going to give up this opportunity. What I am curious about is what some would suggest for equipment ie. tippets and flies. I am very new to fly fishing and like I menytioned, have never fished the west before so any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 08:20 AM

Do you have specific areas / rivers in mind or are you looking for square one?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:29 AM

We will be staying at Stanley Lake in Idaho and will be spending about a week or so there then will be moving on to Jackson Wy. for a few days. When in Stanley we will be with some people with a boat and such but I believe that the guys are a bunch of bass fishermen and I plan on breaking off a bit to do "my own thing" I hear that the split of the Salmon is a great spot but if you have suggestions...
Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 AM

A friend of mine is an outfitter in the Stanley area. Her website has a lot of information and advice regarding the Sawtooths, upper Salmon and Middle Fork tribs. Check out sawtoothfishingguides(dot com)
Jackson Hole will be very busy, but has lots of opportunities with four or five rivers nearby. Just stop in at a shop and strike up a conversation.

link

Last edited by juro; 06-21-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I was about to recommend YOU Ed!

Mr.Link is the real deal and if he's got a spot on the drift boat you ought to take it. In fact when I visited the Salmon I was completely blown away by every aspect - the scenery, wildlife, gorgeous river, mountains etc.

One of the things that most impressed me is that there are real wild west guides like you read about carving a living and worth every nickel, and I found Ed to be the man on the river you need to know.

I envy you and can't wait to get back out there, maybe this fall...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-21-2006, 07:51 AM

"Bout time we washed down some Elk tenderloin with good single malt again, eh!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I don't mind being a cigar store indian on your boat
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-05-2006, 01:34 AM

Hey my name is Alex and i live in Colorado but i fish in wyo alot (actually plannin on heading up there at the end of july) but i have one suggestion for you as in regards to fishing up in wyo...Grey Reef. It is part of the Nort Platte river and is EXCELLENT fishing! I went up there last summer for the first time to go see big and rich at chyenne frountier days and then up to casper to do a little fishin because my buddy's grandparents live up there and it was close to the platte. We fished the Alcova Res. outlet into Grey Reef and i am not kidding we cought probably 25 fish a day, it was unbelievable! I personally landed my biggest cutty which was about 20 inches and we cought numerouse bow's and cuttbows that were inbetween 18-25 inches! Up there you dont get into any fish that are less then 15-17 inches and the few browns that you run into are pusin 25-30 inches (no joke) but if i were to recomend any fishing in wyo it would be either grey reef (which is also amazing to drift) or the "Miricle Mile." Up in grey reef we cought a majority of fish on size 18 black beauties (i know that sounds a little big but it works!) and hot head leaches. If you have any questions about fishing the north platte in wyo just ask me and i'll beable to help you out.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 AM

The reef is a good suggestion for winter spring or fall but it gets very weedy in the summer months. That and the fact that it is flowing around 2500 CFS makes the wading limited. Of course if you have a drift boat or hire a guide you will have more opportunities. Just my 2 cents.

Worr321 I do not know where you fish in CO but the Big T is heating up. Lots of caddis and a few drakes and PMDs. The flows could not be better.

Brad
Old 07-06-2006, 09:59 AM

The Middle fork of the Salmon is not too far from Stanley. It offers some great opportunity for Cuts. If you are coming through eastern Idaho a float of the SOuth Fork of the Snake would be worth doing.

We went last Friday. The Salmon fly hatch is spotty and scattered this year but in late july and August the flows will be down (it was 12,000 cfs on Friday) but the riffles will be great for cuts and browns. Note the regs as much of it is catch and release and all cuts must be put back as do all browns under 16 inches. You can keep all rainbows with no limits as a means of protecting the cutthroat populations.

Wyoming Pick Bridge (near Saratoga) and the Miracle mile are always good choices.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks for all the great info!!!

We will be in Stanley for a bit but then moving on to Victor and then to Jackson Hole. I don't think we will have time to venture too much further into Wy.

The trip is coming up soon and I can't wait to hit some of the spots you all have mentioned!! Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2006, 04:59 PM

I'll try to get some info on the VIctor area fishing. I know a bunch of folks in Teton County.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.