Censorship on the Spey Pages! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 06:38 AM

Censorship on the Spey Pages!

Just wanted everyone to know that they should be carful about what you post on the Spey Pages website. I just had a post pulled off with no reason given. That is one of the reasons I like this website, something like that would not happen without a good reason. You guys are willing to let the controversial subjects run there course. My thanks to the FlyFishingForum for giving us an honest place to post are opinion. You guys have true integrity!
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 AM
LBFF Mojo

Since it is my site I feel a rebuttal is in order.

Your only posts on my site were to incite and flame. I do not know what it is with Bill you guys have problems with but leave the pissing match off my site.

We do not appreciate people who feel the need to just bash folks without bringing anything constructive to the site. So yes we censor folks who need to grow up and act their age. If you fail to see the reason why we would not let you run amok on our site flaming whomever you wish then that is your problem. It has nothing to do with 'sharing an opinion'. If you have such a problem with somebody be a man and bring it up to the guys face, not hiding behind a computer.

You are more than welcome to particpate on my site , just keep things postive and constructive and things are fine.

-sean
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Fly chucker

Thank you Sean for that moment of clarity.

And let me say that we here at Flytalk do not appreciate someone coming here and using our forums as a pulpit to speak out against another site. We have members here who participate on both sites, and to use one as a sounding board against another is immature and unnecessary.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:36 AM

Mark,

My apologies to you and fly talk, you are correct in scolding me for bringing it over here. Having such a seemingly innocuous post pulled off caused my emotions to get the better of me. I am still trying to figure out what was so inflammatory about it. I still have not been given a reason.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Banned

censorship is always an ugly issue. i read longbelly's post before it got yanked and it was anti but not terribly flaming. it seems there is a group of people who are regarded as sayers of the gospel and then there's the rest of us and we should just sit on our hands and say yes massa and amen at the appropriate times. if we have any opinion that goes against the gods then censor it with no explanation or discussion of the topic. that is probably one of the main reasons the spey pages has gotten so stale as of late. we can only listen to the "masters" spew their opinions for so long with out it getting boring. i personally have learned a lot from people who i regarded wrongly as not having a clue only to discover they did. in this case we will never know because of censorship. mature folks can discuss an issue without it getting personal and probably come to an understanding. if it's censored then everyone wonders why and it make the post seem worse than it originaly was. here's where i now have something to say that will probably get yanked.

d.h. are you the new fly talk police? if so great job if not who gives you the right? did you read the post before sean pulled it from "his" site? that's what i thought.

sean i thought it was Dana Sturn's site? see you do learn something new everyday as long as it's not censored. where is Dana on this or are you now the spey pages police?

seig heil and where's my hammer and sickle?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginseng sulliva

d.h. are you the new fly talk police? if so great job if not who gives you the right? did you read the post before sean pulled it from "his" site? that's what i thought.
Nice first post.

It makes no difference what was said on the other site. I'm a moderator over here, and when I see someone bitching about another site, especially one that has members both here and there, I'm going to call them on it. Plain and simple.

Longbelly realized that it was wrong and has shown some class with his follow-up post. Here's hoping a little of that class rubs off on you.

I was going to lock this thread down after my first post to it, but decided not to because I assumed it was going to go away on its own. Let's hope that I don't have to after all.

Last edited by Dble Haul; 06-20-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

"it make no difference what was said on the other site". blind faith that sean as god was right. go ahead and lock the thread if you can't debate with people. just take your ball and go home. now who's being immature? my point here was censorship and all of it's manifestations. now here you go wanting to censor this to close the discussion on censorship. when someone disagrees with you have the spine and the intellegence to state your argument with clarity. don't just "close it down" after your rebuttal. people really like being talked to like they are twelve rather than debate an issue. btw i have been on this site longer than you. once again you suppose to know everything without really knowing anything. keep your vision tunneled and you mind closed. lock away spineless haul.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
LBFF Mojo

Actually Dana pulled it and I agreed with him on it.

I own half the site now so you must not have been around the site that long if you did not know that.

I am not going to argue this and it was not censorship. The rules were not followed and attacking people is not allowed no matter who does it. Simple as that.

Juro please lock this thread and this guys can take this up me privately if they wish. Doubt they will since Mr. Ginseng does not use his own name which figures...

This should not be taking up Flytalks bandwidth.

-sean
Old 06-20-2006, 09:33 AM
LBFF Mojo

Ah check that Mr. Ginseng is Mr. Nick Pionessa, esteemed fly shop manager. Pretty cool man.

-sean
Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

SEAN YOU JUST POSTED WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO POST AND THANK YOU!

sean- before it gets locked i haven't noticed the sean and dana sturn's speypages logo. or maybe i haven't been around long enough. i debated using my regular title and admittadly wimped out. now i just don't care anymore and you guys can take your ball and go home cause it hasn't been fun for quite some time anyway.

Best Regards,

BLACK FRANCIS
Nick Pionessa
Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Fly chucker

If you've been on this site longer than I have with only two posts, that must mean that you used to be here under another name. Interesting.

You know what? I was going to give a nice long reply to you, but your comments calling sean and I "police" for doing our moderating duties and the hammer and sickle comment have shown to me and others reading this thread that you aren't worth the effort. If you have issues with a website, keep them on that website. I will not continue to feed this vendetta you have.

I wish you peace of mind, and hope that you get some fishing in so that you can relax a bit. I mean that sincerely.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

btw that's the Oak Orchard Fly Shop in the buffalo ny area, where your opinion is important to us and i promise you won't be censored.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK FRANCIS
i debated using my regular title and admittadly wimped out.
Wow, you didn't want to post under your usual name, and you have the audacity to call me spineless?

Your wish and Sean's is granted. The thread is locked.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 AM
admin

Ginseng,

Not sure what your point is, but yes DH is a highly regarded moderator with the right perspective to keep things well heeled on the site when someone with intent to agitate goes off on a rant. In fact all of our moderators volunteer their time and energy to maintain the site I think because they actually care about it.

Longbelly is a good guy - he may have passion but on every count when asked to keep things in perspective he goes above and beyond to set things straight. Nothing wrong with passion, nor honor and he has both.

Sean has been rewarded for his critical service not only to Speypages but also to the Forum in it's earlier years. He has become a full partner with Dana in the Speypages venture. In fact if he had not volunteered his talents years ago to help me when I was running both sites you would simply not be enjoying either of these two sites (at least I think you are enjoying them) as the free online resources that they are today.

You see the truth is behind the curtain there is a lot of hard work and this sweat equity is founded upon passion, honor and a willingness to believe that the effort will be rewarded in the intangibles that we reap in achievements, friendships, and moral victories.

Somehow you seem to have mistaken these forums as some kind of platform for unabated free speech where you feel you have an inalienable right to say and do as you please while those who toil to provide the soapbox must cower to your demands. Try www.freespeech.net or saywhateveryouwant.org - this is the flyfishing forum.

You could not be any more wrong about censorship, in fact we retain the right to refuse service without a shirt and shoes so to speak; or remove any content in order to maintain the flyfishing / family program nature of this site as it has been since day one.

Overall there have been very few interruptions; we tend to remain focused on flyfishing and the good life that is associated with it. We work to try to make that good for others too.

I welcome you to partake in that, or else you're just going to have to deal with the situation as it is, was, and will always be.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.