5 wt for steelhead - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 04:41 AM

5 wt for steelhead

My guide keeps telling me my 5 wt (10' TFO) is not stiff enough to set hooks on steelhead, and that I'm missing fish because of that.
I feel fine with the rod in terms of casting and fighting fish, but would like feedback on whether a rod can be too light or soft for steelhead purely from a hook setting point of view. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 06:16 AM
LBFF Mojo

How often is the guide sharpening your hooks? That is the culprit on missing fish 90% of the time. You do not need much hook setting power at all if your hooks are razor sharp. All it should ever take with any rod is just a lifting of the rod to hook the fish.

I sharpen mine at the start of the run and everytime I bump anything with the hook.

-sean
Old 06-18-2006, 08:14 AM

Sticky sharp

is the rule. You can check by sliding the hook point across a nail. If it digs in, it is sharp enough, if not sharpen.

As to the 5 wt., how big are the fish? You want to be able to land them fairly quickly, if you are going to release them, and that may reqire a heavier rod.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 AM

I agree about making sure your hooks are sharp. I also agree with Ted about landing the fish. I would be willing to bet I could land a 10lb. steelhead on my 3wt trout rod. However, the amount of time it would take to do it would probably increase the likeliness that the fish would not survive. I seldom use a rod lighter than a 7wt. for my steelhead fishing. A 7wt. rod will also give you some extra hook setting power in case you do, for some reason, have a dull hook. A 7wt. also makes a good Bass rod for the summer months when the steelhead opportunities are not so numerous.

Charlie.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

A winter GL steelhead is fighting in water just above freezing and could be subdued on a 5wt, but a hot skamania or western ocean run steelie would end up dead from over-fighting or you'd never turn it.

As you already know a head-on strip set doesn't involve the power of the rod anyway so unless you are doing the orvis highset I think the important thing is whether you are killing the fish or not.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

5wt

5wt is too light for steel, just as charlie said a 7 would be worlds better for both you and the fish
Old 06-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Yes, but is it too light to set the hook adequately, or is it too light to fight the fish quickly enough?
The question was whether a 5 wt is too light for an effective hookset, not whether it's politically correct to fight a steelhead on a 5 wt.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Point the rod at the fish and you can strip set on a tarpon
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 06-22-2006 at 06:43 AM. Reason: forgot to say "strip"
Old 06-22-2006, 06:41 AM
Flats Rat

At the risk of sounding like the proverbial broken record, fly rods are designed to cast flylines and present flies. They are not designed for setting hooks or fighting fish. The guide should know better.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:33 PM

Well, now, guys, if I'm high-sticking (like I usually do when steelheading) I hold my rod tip way up, and it's tough to go from that to a strip-strike.
I get that slight hesitation and twitch the tip to see if it's a fish, and then set again if I'm sure it is.
If I were swinging flies, a strip-strike is a natural; but somehow, whenever I have time to drivce up to the GL's it's below freezing, water is cold, and the method of choice seems to be high-sticking.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

High sticking with an indicator, big fly and some shot on it?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
thread killer

Quote:
High sticking with an indicator, big fly and some shot on it?
are you really willing to pop the top on that can of controversey again?

i use a 10' 6wt occasionally and love it. i still think that individual rod actions play one of the largest roles with low water & light tippet, if you can call powerflex 3X light![its as light as i ever get] not real abrasion resistant but if its fresh its tough.... i can lean into a fish hard and normally stop him with out worrys. back to my weak point.. i've had my hands on a few 'fastfives' that were atually more of a seven... some of the older redingtons come to mind.. i have a IM6 6/7 that to me is a dryfly five... all blanks are subject to individual assessment.

lots of variables.... how big are the fish? i've never shied from a 6 lb trout in summer water, why would i back off from the same in cold water, only just up from the lake?

given a choice i would much rather fish a 9'6" 7 with ultra grn 6 lb but the same rod will part the PF 3X with ease... the six keeps me in the game long enough for a rush and a grin or two at least.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

Quote:
I agree about making sure your hooks are sharp. I also agree with Ted about landing the fish. I would be willing to bet I could land a 10lb. steelhead on my 3wt trout rod. However, the amount of time it would take to do it would probably increase the likeliness that the fish would not survive.
Charlie.
Use the right equipment to do the job, so the fish survive and we all get to enjoy them.

Quote:
given a choice i would much rather fish a 9'6" 7 with ultra grn 6 lb
Old 06-24-2006, 07:51 AM
Flats Rat

Food for thought:

The fastest way to land (or lose) a fish that weighs less than the angler is with a handline.

Would that be a 0 wt?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:30 PM
thread killer

Adrian, i'm unsure of your intent... but a zero weight as a handline would perform well, considering the 12 lb core it contains.

Spock, why didn't you include the very next sentance of Charlies post when you quoted him? the one that reads "I seldom use a rod lighter than a 7wt. for my steelhead fishing." which confirms that he does occasionally. since a 6 is the next line weight descending why did you not admonish him on or about 6/19 when he placed the post rather than wait for me & mine placed on the 23'rd?

for the record, i agree that a 5 wt is to light for steelhead fishing 90% of the time. not sure what your finger lakes fish amount to but if they resemble any of our inland lake stock they run on the small side, a size that would certainly be doable with a five. i wasn't aware that lake Erie harbored that many sizable steel either? as i said [and you ignored] there are many variables involved. very rare to get big steel out of Lk. Superior tribs but i'd be willing to bet that they have much more steam than the Erie stock and are normally easily handled on a six. infact, thats the weight rod reccomended by many 'in the know' up that way.

Quote:
"For smaller tribs (like yesterday) I drop down to a 9 1/2' 6 wt. and tie up a heavy butt mono leader, add weight if needed. For couple of larger swing holes a small trib may offer I then loop on a 5' - 7' homemade sink tip made out of a type six, mono core shooting head. posted by h2o on 12/19/04"
i suppose this poster dosn't know any better either or just dosn't care about the welfare of steelhead?

i'm always seeing people steered towards sixes for almost any trophy trout destinations, alaska, south america, and both islands comprising new zealand. tell me again how a six to ten pound trout is so much more powerful than a 6-10 lb trout? is that label 'steelhead' like a shot of nitrous? its not a shot of salt, thats for sure, not in these parts.

my pet peeve is when hard fast guidelines are attempted to be 'strong armed' into place re what acceptable tackle is, the story is not often that simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.