My daughter's first striper trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

My daughter's first striper trip

Well, my 9 year old daughter has had enough of listening to her older brother's fish stories. Christy has demanded the chance to fish for "stripahs" with her Dad, and of course, only a trip to the Cape will do. So I come to you for advice.

She is a determined young lady, but her fly casting ability is still a bit limited...not yet at the stage of casting an entire fly line, more like 25 or 30 feet. She is going to be very happy to hook up on schoolies or snapper blues, so shots at big fish are not that important. She also is not likely to tolerate a long hike, so South Beach is possible but limited.

Any suggestions on how I might make her day this coming weekend (and mine)?

Thanks, and best regards,

-Doc
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like a very important mission Doc!

South Beach would be perfect this weekend - it's a mid-day low tide and you could find a spot just to the south of the drop off or past the weed line to the north and find a schoolie or maybe even a keepah within a short distance.

The water is still cold so either waders or scheduling for the very bottom of the tide (when the sand is actually dry) would be recommended.

You could also find them at the drop-off right there at the bottom of the stairs but she might like the boat ride.

We will have the Big Brother day going on Saturday at South Beach so there would be quite a few 9 year old around. Sunday might be the better day for a quiet outing.

Among the most important factors to consider for safety and casting ability is wind for a starting fly caster. The wind is typically coming from the S/SW this time of year on SB making it a good choice. If the wind is light you can go anywhere.

You might consider a pair of those very comfortable polycarbonate clear safety glasses available at Home Depot for a song. I would.

There are lots of small sand eels around so a twitchy hand with a little flatwing in greens and whites should do the deed.

If she doesn't mind getting up a little early or missing a timely dinner the river mouths around the south side from Parker's to Bass to Herring to Red River will have have prowling schoolies at daybreak high and evening high tides.

Keep an eye on the wind and weather and I will keep my fingers crossed for you two!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 AM
Middle Aged Member

Doc, looks like the weekend weather is shaping up real nice, as long as that storm stays offshore. The beach you fished spring clave weekend could be the ticket if the wind is down and out of the SW. Lots of visuals around low tide (about 10:30). I'll probably be out there trying to getting Donna, daughter and son-in-law hooked up on a sluggo. Note that the beaches in Dennis now have attendants in place so parking is $15
Old 06-14-2006, 09:41 PM

Doc.........GREAT!!! Happy for you that your daughter wants to fish.
Recommendations:
1. cheap pair of polarized glasses from CVS or other store
2. SB....3 hrs into the incoming ....blues have arrived and given my experience with that time slot....only a 10 ft cast will be necessary as pods will be at her feet :-)
3. Given their aggresiveness........what ever you do.....don't let her wear that Holloween sandeel costume :-)
Ron
Old 06-16-2006, 01:00 AM

Doc-- one suggestion: I had a 10 year old boy in the fly fishing school last year, and its a little tricky to teach a child to cast one handed, so it might not hurt to try having her work her left hand at the fighting butt of the rod and her right hand at the normal position. It may help her to get the leverage she needs to push the line out, and I'd also shorten up the leader a little, as the tendency to tangle is a little more present when casting for the first time. Throw on a sparse chartruse and white clouser (debarbed) with the smallest lead eyes you have and she'll be spending less time untangling her leader or rubbing her head from her fly. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

My daughter's first striper trip

Many thanks for all of the suggestions and guidance. Turns out that we didn't get any fish this weekend, but I am happy to say that Christy and I had a great time anyway! We are already planning our next adventure, and I think that stripers and blues will play a prominent role there too.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Best regards,

-Doc
Old 06-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great seeing you again doc - and your daughter is an angel.

It's a funny year... I hope things fall into place on your next try.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Doc, it was nice seeing you and your duaghter this weekend. It takes a special dad to drive up from NJ and spend the weekend with his daughter to get a fish. Please let us know the next time you've got the time to bring either or both up to the Cape. We've got lots of members that can assist you.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 PM

I"m glad to hear that things went well.

In case someone else is thinking of taking their kid out for the first time, I just wanted to add that the most important thing with taking young kids fishing is to always make it "their" trip. If they get bored, tired, hungry, cold or what ever, be ready to drop everything. If they trust that they won't be kidnapped while Dad fishes on and on, they will probably want to go again. Always make it on their terms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.