Upsalquitch - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 10:07 AM

Upsalquitch

Going to fish the Upsalquitch in two weeks for four days ( it's not what you know; it's who you know ) Planning on bring 9 ft 8 wt, 6wt spey and 10 ft. 6 wt. Will I be under-gunned with the 6s- both are pretty hefty sticks? Also, what about leaders, tippet, fly selection, etc.? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleguy
Going to fish the Upsalquitch in two weeks for four days ( it's not what you know; it's who you know ) Planning on bring 9 ft 8 wt, 6wt spey and 10 ft. 6 wt. Will I be under-gunned with the 6s- both are pretty hefty sticks? Also, what about leaders, tippet, fly selection, etc.? Thanks in advance.
While I have never fished the U., I think the 10-ft 6-wt -- in late June -- would not be enough rod for any salmon river in the Maritimes. A substantial 6-wt two-hander, however, should do the trick, provided it is shorter than 14 feet long.

As far as tippet is concerned, unless the water is very low, 10lb Maxima or a good 10lb flourocarbon would be as low as I would go. Leader should be at least the length of your rod. The "John Olin" has been a good fly on both the Matapedia and the Miramichi for the last couple of seasons, so I would give it a try on the U.

BTW, where in Maine are you from?

Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanks Smolt. My spey is 11' 9", but I'm very new ( read not good) at casting the two hander. I'm Ok on the overhead cast, so if I have the room for a back cast I can chuck some line. Never heard of the "John Olin", have to check it out.

I'm from Bangor, how about you?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:37 AM

I used to live in Portland, but, unfortunately for me, I now live in the Midwest.

I have used a Winston BIIx 11-ft 7-wt rod on both the Matapedia and the Miramichi. I like it very much. That rod was designed as an overhead rod and is a true 7-wt., so your two-handed 6-wt should be just fine. The largest fish I have caught with my rod was only about 10 pounds. The fish was caught in very high water and the rod performed beautifully. I don't think I would have too much trouble landing fish to 20 pounds with the rod. Hopefully, I'll put it to the test on a big fish when I fish the Miramichi in July.

CK
Old 06-14-2006, 11:40 AM

This is my first foray for atlantics so I'm pretty excited about it. One advantage of being divorced now is that I get to take some trips that I couldn't do before. Have fun in July.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Got back on Wednesday night; interesting experience. I have not done a lot of guided fishing nor been waited upon so much as this trip, almost a little too civilized for me. Beautiful river and country. The tally- 6 guys 7 grilse. Fished Sunday evening, two sessions Monday, two sessions on Tuesday. What a beautiful and powerful fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.