40+ Club - Shore Division - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

40+ Club - Shore Division

What's your strategy? Big flies? Night fishing? Sh*t luck? Two 20" schoolies end to end?

I have a few tactics in mind, and hope to do it this weekend. I will be hosting guests but hope to scout up a cow ahead of time.

Livin' LARGE...
I plan to recon with two-hands on the task, 600 grains and BIG offerings. Full shank sand eels, bunker and squid primarily. With the winds gusty as heck already why not.

Coverage...
I am not going to get enamored with scenery or pleasure. Not much to be had in a storm anyway. My plan is to hit the highest probability areas during the most likely times and get to the next venue on time. Sleep? If there is time.

Think like the fish...
Big fish like pogies, squid, herring and concentrations of sand eels this time of year. They are bulking up, most of the bigger fish are still nowhere near their summer form. No sense in wasting my time where these are not present.

Migration...
Far from over. Many seem to be moving past in offshore vectors lately and the infusion of bait is holding them hundreds of yards off shore (based on birds) but history proves that a huge percentage travel the shoreline and I will be prying into the lanes I already know and looking for new ones in likely areas, e.g. Race Point.

For me the problem is time... will I get enough casts in enough spots in enough circumstances to roll the dice in the right place and time?

I hope my mug can be next to Craigs in the 2006 40+ club gallery Monday!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Middle Aged Member

My only 40+ (had to be 25 to 30lbs) was several years ago this coming weekend on a similar tide as this weekend. I've scouted some probable lanes. I will tie some clousers on a 2/0 LC413 hook with yellow to olive bucktail, a bit bushy, and a couple of half & halfs on the same hook with Abrams feathers (I call it the K-Klouser).

That fish several years ago was one of the biggest kicks I've had with my clothes on. I was drawing my line to make a cast when I saw her following my fly, ten feet or less infront of me, in one to two feet of water. I stopped with the rod vertical, and she took the fly. The fish cleared the seventy feet of line in my basket and was into backing before I could think about what to do next (lucky). The take and run was violent and horizontal with a lot of tail smashing and porpoising. I love fishing on foot and the horizontal pull.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Pencil me in.....

My favorite fly caught 40"+ was on some of those Kfeathers tied traditionally of course after dark on a RI beach...but I have to admit I was slow stripping the fly on an intermediate line

Last edited by jfbasser; 06-08-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 PM

Are we talking pounds or inches?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Middle Aged Member

I think Juro is talking about fly caught 40" (20#+) fish, on foot.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Perhaps you missed the earlier posts but inches josko, which you must admit on a fly from shore is a notable feat.

In fact I'd bet it's much harder than a 40 pounder on a live pogie from a boat.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 AM

Random thoughts follow:

The "what fly is the right fly" question used to make me very anxious. I remember stalking the sand with a chest pack overflowing with fly boxes and only using one or two flies Now that I fish from a boat 99.9% of the time I find I still only use one or two flies and have a tackle bag or two full of flies

The only time's I've been refused on any & everything I threw were when the bass were sipping krill off Chatham and during a worm hatch one night in Buzzards. And of course none of the flies I had matched a damn thing. For me, this kind of selective feeding is the exception rather then the rule.

I caught my longest striper on one of Juro's sand eels & lost what I've convinced myself was an even bigger one on the cast & drift just before. Of course, that fly was all I was fishing that season + sand eel's are the major food source in that area.

I firmly believe that if you fish one fly or lure the majority of the time, you can catch anything with it.

But, if I were to focus on using just one fly to catch BIG fish - I would go with the Capt. Steve Moore's white death. I'll see if I can post a pic of one of mine.

Good luck,

Roop
Old 06-08-2006, 07:30 AM

I would vote for nightime, intimately-known structure, 12 wt, being in tune with fish movements/tides, and having a lot of faith in the fly.

Is prospecting the area with a conventional rod allowed, as long as the fly catch is IGFA-legal?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:36 AM

Here are two of my small ones, these only measure 5 -6 " and I believe Steve ties his with a larger head to give it a more erratic behavior. Last season a buddy of mine fished a white sluggo on a chartreuse head non-stop & caught some very large fish - hence the chart head on one of these.

Good luck,

Roop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wht deatg.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	5836  
Old 06-08-2006, 07:47 AM

My biggest fly rod striper came on October 17, 2003 Kettle Cove, Maine. It was raining sideways, dead low and fish were everywhere nailing peanut bunker. I was getting 24-28" fish on every cast on a black and purple puglesi when all of the sudden I hooked one that headed for Ireland. I assumed I had hooked one of those nice solid fish by the motor when off she went. About 5 minutes later, I got the fish closer and turned on my head lamp and saw the "pig eyes" and said s%^&, that a big fish, I need to be careful. Landed her, taped at 42". Just plain good fun. Caught a lot of fish in the high 30s off monomoy in the rips, but haven't broken 40" there yet on a fly.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Fly chucker

Most of you saw my personal best that I caught last July with the help of Phil during the shadfest. It was low light, the tide was right, and I was casting a huge fly. Most of my bigger stripers have come during that combination.

Low light plus big fly plus optimal tide = good chance at intercepting a good fish.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

My 40" bass was caught on the kennebec river in maine near the mouth. I was fishing with my 10wt using 400 grain sink tip line and the fly was a banana fly that my guide came up with. We were fishing a long set of fingers that drops off into deep water in the early morning. The guide did a masterful job of driving the boat and weaving in and out of all the lobster pots to land this monster.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:06 AM

Just to be the voice of contradiction, my longest striper was caught at @ 10AM in July.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM

not quite 40#....but 38# caught this spring, in about 2 feet of water, outgoing in an estuary system....was paddling back to my kayak launch when I kept seeing swirls like someone was dropping washing machines out of the sky....beached the kayak and cast out a typical estuary pattern...about 2" long, tied on a size 1 hook.

Took two casts...the take was not subtle, and I was quickly into the backing.

Taped out at 38#, I would guess in the high teens....took a timed picture with my trusty Canon underwater camera and released her...when i got back home realized there was no film in the camera...

Doesn't always have to be a big fly...

mark
Old 06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
Most of you saw my personal best that I caught last July with the help of Phil during the shadfest. It was low light, the tide was right, and I was casting a huge fly. Most of my bigger stripers have come during that combination.

Low light plus big fly plus optimal tide = good chance at intercepting a good fish.
My first 40" fish this year came to hand under the same conditions and place that Mark speaks of above on 5/11/06. The fish were on squid but I fooled the big one while test casting an 18" shad imitation that Grizz helped me with along with the materials required for such a large pattern. The higher tide was beginning to wane which helped as the strong current here would have caused real havoc on a nine weight. It was not very fat but it taped out at just over 40 inches. It must have been somewhat tired from migration as it only took fifty or so yards of backing. My best to date was five years ago. 43 inches and half an hour to land.

Phil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.