Russian Heaven.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 04:03 AM

Russian Heaven....

So, who is off to the Kola this season and if so where? Also is there any one out there who has just got back from any of the rivers? Sadly am not going this year so I will have to make do with all of your stories for my yearly 'hit'

trev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 04:37 AM

I'm off to Kharlovka tomorrow, I don't know much except that there was a lot of snow this year but the ice broke quite early. We are still in the first week of the season, so no catch reports yet. I know that Varzuga has been fishing well, even by its standards, so I am hopeful.

I will post a report when I get back.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 AM

LUCKY YOU......

I've been to the kharlovka and it is an incredible river, I hope you connect with a monster. They seem to have posted very little on the website, Peter normally writes a whole load just before the season starts, but not this year!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:03 AM

Highwealdwoodsm,

Have fun. Post some photos when you get back.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:08 PM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwealdwoodsm
I'm off to Kharlovka tomorrow, I don't know much except that there was a lot of snow this year but the ice broke quite early. We are still in the first week of the season, so no catch reports yet. I know that Varzuga has been fishing well, even by its standards, so I am hopeful.

I will post a report when I get back.
Good luck on your trip. I hope you'll do well and post a report. I'll be arriving at Kharlovka July 22 and and the excitement and anticipation are starting to build.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Just got back from 2 weeks on the Kola, it was very cold the first week of June on the Kharlovka/ E. litza, but I had 3 fish largest was 24 pounds. Water temp was 3-5C, using heavy sink tips and large tubes. Then I spent a week on the Kola river, and had great fishing. In one day i had 6 fish for 122 pounds including a 35 pounder. My average fish wt for the 2 weeks was 20.5 pounds. The second week on the Kola the water temp was over 10C so intermediate to floating lines took the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kola home pool 2 copy.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	5848  
Old 06-18-2006, 05:55 PM

WOW that sounds amazing. How many fish in total did you get on the Kola? Looking at the lax-a reports it sounds like an incredible river for not as much money as the other kola rivers. Any info you have from your experience of it would be of great interrest and may even tempt me to go!!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Kola river has a lot of poachers. each pool you had to chase them away, plus there were nets, and also you would find shrimp at the side of the river. There was a lot of trash along the banks. This is why it is cheaper, but the fishing was pretty good as stated above.The lodge was nice, and no helicopters.

Kharlovka/ east litza is pristine, no other fishermen, and no trash what so ever. it costs more, and is much harder in terms of walking and wading. Enclosed is a shot from the east litza. The lodge is top notch, food excellent, guides very good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24 pounder East Litza copy.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	5850  
Old 06-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Dreaming of Russia last night, wow I have post traumatic stress disorder, the trauma is leaving all the salmon. I enclosed a couple more pics, any wonder I am in withdrawal. I have to wait until the Fall for 2 weeks on the Miramichi....

Tight Lines,

Jim Y
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sea lice on hat copy.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	5856  
Old 06-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

...another...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	East Litza copy.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	5857  
Old 06-24-2006, 11:22 PM

Dam!

Some fantastic looking bright fish! Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing the picís.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 AM

Nice fish Jim

Hi Jim, This is Simon, your last night fishing partner on Kharlovka! I hope your waders were dry for the Kola...

Glad to hear that you had some good fishing on the Kola, and one nice fish in particular. Maybe I'll see you again in Russia next year...

Simon
Old 06-26-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks for sharing

Jim, are all of those fish from Eastern Litza, or are some from the Kola?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Long Tailed Sea Lice

Simon, great to hear from you. That last night on the kharlovka was definately one tough night. We fished all the way through to packing time in the morning prior to the helicopter leaving-we went for it, going the extra mile literally for some salmon.

The next week on the Kola river in 6 days I had 14 fish to net, including 6 over 20 pounds, and my largest at 35 pounds. Several fish in the 25-30 pound class were lost to heavy heavy rapids ( what can you do with 150 yards of backing out and you on an island)My camera was wet from a fall in at Kharlovka, but the enclosed picture is from a 26 pounder from the home pool on the Kola river. I tied a small snelda fly at 2pm in the lodge, then at 2:30 had a nice fish rip me well into the backing. I fished with Sugai from Japan on the Kola river the last 2 years, this year he had 13 fish. He's shown on the Kharlovka website with a typical large salmon.

I envy you greatly Simon, since you are going back there this summer. I can't get there next year due to other commitments ( namely i have to be in Maine for my Dad's 80th-will fish the Restihouche which is close by). I will likely go back for a couple weeks in 2008.

Next up for me is 2 weeks on the Miramichi in the Fall-usually pretty sweet.

Tight Lines,

Jim Y

Simon, send some shots of your trip this summer when you get back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kola home pool 26 pounder copy.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	5874  
Old 06-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum. I was immediately attracted to this post as I fished the Kharlovka back in 1992 to 95. This is when the river was first opened to fisherman and was leased by Roxton Bailey Robinson out of London.

I fished during the first week of July in 92. I think it was like June 28 - July 5. We only had seven rods for both the E.Litza and the Kharlovka. The water was quite high but clear......the water temps were very cold....cant remember exactly, and we fished sinking lines or sinking tips during the first part of the week and ended with floating lines by weeks end. I think we took approx 12 - 20 fish per rod, with some 35 - 40 pounders mixed in. What a trip. My biggest was from the Litza (Tent Pool) which was approx 40lbs. Second was a fish from Julian's Rock....which was about 30#s.

By 1995, they added another 6 or 7 rods to to the deal......making the total rods around 13-14. Couple that with lower water ( less fishable water), and double the cost.......and I never went back. I remember sharing beats with three other rods, on beats that had half the fishable water of 92 due to the low water conditions. They put two rods on the left bank, and two rods on the right bank, and we would be crossing each others casts intermitently all day long. Only when the weather broke, and we could get some guys to the Litza did it become tolerable.

I never went back even though I truly loved those rivers. Big fish, big water, very challenging.....and great guides and lodge. Has it changed back for the better? Have they reduced their rod count? Sounds like you guys would know. I would love to get back there one of these years.

Howie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.