CT kayak report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Fly chucker

CT kayak report

I hit some spots off of Groton last evening during the incoming tide. I chose this location because of its potential for clean water. Most of the river systems in CT are still rather high and dirty from all of the recent rains. What I found was clarity that would rival the Cape. I was truly surprised, and if I had been there in mid day then I might have had some sight fishing opportunities.

I found some structures that I never got around to fishing last season. The fish weren't numerous, but I took three bass, two of which were a few inches shy of legal, one of which nearly showed me my backing. I dropped two others. My only real complaint about the fishing is that I couldn't quite figure out what the fish were on. I didn't see any visible signs of feeding, and I never saw any bait. If I could have figured out what was on the menu, I might have been able to match it and do a bit better.

All of the fish were caught in only about two feet of water. I approached the current seams on foot after landing the kayak in order to better control my presentation.

Note to Adrian and other CT fishers.....this place has loads of potential at night during the summer.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2006, 08:18 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Raw Sewage Stinks!

Hi Mark,

I'm glad you got out and found some clean water after the rains. I got out late thursday night and didn't get synced up with you earlier to get together.
I however didn't think the after effects of the sewage outlet would be so noticable on the Connecticut river.

I was wrong! the sewage stench was abit over powering when dropping into launch my kayak, stuck in the debris and grass of the estuaries. It was pretty gross. You would think we would have developed a better method to process our wastes and protect the environment.

Once I was out on the river it was pretty cloudy but a nice night for a paddle just the same.

We'll have to try another time soon. Sounds like you found some nice spots around Groton. Perhaps in the next couple weeks I can get out with you then.

Tight lines,
Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Fly chucker

Sounds great, Greg. Groton would be good, or the CT once it clears up even more.

Did you get into any fish?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:50 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Mark,

It didn't find any action where I was. Water was still pretty dirty and debris filled.
I also don't think I was fishing some of the better spots around there as it was my first time out there.

Greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.