Nauset Beach, Chatham Observations 2006 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up Nauset Beach, Chatham Observations 2006

Went oversand on South Nauset with Sean yesterday since we slept in after the SAT pm festivities. By the time we got going and I renewed my ORV permit it was mid-day. However there was plenty in store for us on the big beach.

The structure from area 1 all the way down was awesome, not like I have seen since I moved back from Seattle in 2005. A prominent series of breaks and bars alternating made for some of the fishiest structure and I hope it lasts all year as the big ocean sand eels would surely make residence in these sand eel condominiums that stretch for miles. The beach flats around 7 are still there, and down to the boundary things look about the same but the inlet channel has swung south to the Big Girl side and the degree of shoaling on the tip of Nauset is mind-blowing, creating what I predict will be the area's most prominent inshore sand eel habitat *if* it lasts through the summer which I truly hope it does. There were some very good fish on them yesterday.

Down in the inlet there is no mecca, and the Big Girl side is a very interesting bowl with the outer edge of the curve being along the main channel and I predict that we will see the return of Big Girls as we knew and loved them when the channel was this way last.

Interestingly some of the better structure on South Beach was right at the crossover, saving some steps.

South Beach flats look pretty much similar to last year but with even more sediment and weed growth where white sand used to be, I would bet that this summer's effects with the southway closing will make that an even more prominent theme - in other words it will get pretty froggy over the dog days unless you hike to the inlet. But it's great right now.

I will be mapping out North Monomoy over the next several days and can't wait to see what gifts mother nature has brought (or taken away). One tide over Memorial (at least) will be on the bayside as well.

It should be a no-brainer to find fish on the south (sound) side especially flood tides early and late, birds feeding pretty much automatic.

Good time to be a northeast SW flyfisher!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.