SPRING CLAVE 2006! In the books - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

SPRING CLAVE 2006! In the books

Wow... some years we have great fishing and hardly run into each other, other years the camaraderie outdoes the fishing, but we can look back at 2006 as the year it REALLY came together.

Mottley Crew! But a lot of fish finding talent here for sure

First and foremost I want to thank those who lent a hand and made things possible. The help at the table was critical - sharing the work for that many people is what makes it possible.

Those who brought offerings to the group - your contributions were deeply appreciated even if we were all a bit TANKED for the contest. We certainly aren't game show material quite yet. If not for Bonefishmon's MC skills we might not have pulled it off! Thanks Phil.

What a FEAST!!! Dave17's seared ahi... a true gourmet treat beyond description, amazing. Melted like butter in that wasabi sesame sauce, grilled perfectly in a "tataki" style (my favorite sushi).

FredA cleaned out the smoker over at Chatham Fish Co to whet our appetites with locally smoked fillets, my favorite and apparently everyone elses too as the plate was licked clean.

approx half the SAT attendees which involved the inside and outside areas of Stone Horse

Pete Readel (PopnesetBay) brought an extremely generous assortment of Upstate NY wines that we enjoyed thoroughly and what we couldn't finish during the event we cache'd at the CAC for subsequent summertime sipping. Pete - make sure you visit the CAC as your membership awaits with Fez portrait. I did enjoy the "salmon run" as you suspected, and yes the label did get me to open it.

Walt and the west coaster's (sounds like a rock group, minus one as Rooster came in the next day) also brought some amazing wine from California's wine country. Its good to welcome these guys as they begin their annual fling on the Monomoy refuge although I do envy them too.

Adrian brought some cheeses from around the world that raised the bar another notch with their distinct aromatics. That reminds me I need to dry my waders out today.

In fact with such fine international cheeses, gourmet wines and apertifs available next year we might do tenderloins to keep up!

The layered mexi-dips, a roasted pepper tomato cheeseball, the appetizers themselves could have fed the group and the cole slaw was a perfect complement to the steak tips and chicken kabobs and healthy too.

We even had some live music from the Forum Flatspicker Five (minus three or four) who sounded better depending on the number of drinks you had. Bonefishmon jumped in with his blues harp playing and I took one request. Luckily it was one of the three songs I actually know.

Check out this music video starring Adrian and Dave17!!!
http://flyfishingforum.com/chronicle...e2006/jam1.wmv

Not to be outdine, Admiral Ed roasted his sausage on the grill to everyone's delight after dinner.

Whoever brought the creme covered chocolate dessert, the crispy brownies (Pam?) I blame you for the five pounds I will surely gain from the weekend! As addictive as drugs to this dieting fool. By the way Drew - Sean and I finished off the last of that amazing chocolate bundt cake you brought at some wee hour Sat night. I never knew how well chocolate and tequila go together.

How very generous of everyone!

Let's all extend our thanks to those who brought appetizers, wines & liqueurs, and delicious desserts by showing them a favorite spot, or giving them a favorite fly next time you fish with them or meet them at a clave. Everyone really went the extra mile and THAT's what made our Sat dinner something special.

great venue - thanks Matt! You are a great host

There's always room for improvement. I am sure someone ended up getting less than his expectations for the contribution made; next year we will apply what we learned to do it better. The intent of the contest was to make it rewarding and fun to bring something along to the dinner. It wouldn't have been possible to have the dinner without all of the generous side dishes and please know that your gift to the group was appreciated even if it went unspoken during the mayhem.

I think changing the rules to let people put flies into each bucket instead of having one winner was a good change, but unfortunately not everyone put flies into the contest which made it less effective and rewarding for those who contributed. Next year we will have to be a bit more strict about that to ensure that we keep it interesting to bring something. There will be a large doorman named Guido collecting flies.

Thanks to all who made the clave one of the best ever! I think there was no doubt about that.

Sean scores striper sight Skagit Spey from shore in surf

NOTE:

Some of us shared some secret information about the fishery that we graciously ask you keep for your own knowledge among family and friends but not to be posted openly on the internet. This is generally true of our conclaves.

thanks
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 05-22-2006 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Flats Rat

And as a prelude on Friday...

Jfbasser took Sean and I to a couple of UDLs on the big ditch to test out the Skagit technique.

And Sean demonstrates that it really works...

....and comes up with a nice fish ....

Old 05-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Flats Rat

And the "old guy" demonstrates ...

...he still knows how to throw the lead/plastic flatwing (aka sluggo)

Old 05-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Flats Rat

Spring claves just seem to get better - or maybe its 'cause I'm getting older

This one was a great experience all round.

I did a lot of walking this year. So much thay my new (Sept 05) Orvis Tailwaters developed a leak in the left boot on Sunday

On the plus side I did get to see all the changes on the outside and the inside. Some old favorite features have gone only to be replaced with a lot of new ones that made the effort worthwhile and offer a lot of potential for the coming season.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:13 PM

Thanks Juro for creating this Forum it's really has come together at this Clave.
When I'm an old geezer eating baby food and the nurse asks me what I remember I will be mumbling :" Got to go and fish the Tub with Frank and the boys."
Old 05-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
...he still knows how to throw the lead/plastic flatwing (aka sluggo)

I usually " glue" a few choice flatwing saddles to the top of the sluggo with dubbing wax (the only glue allowed)...good for one cast...of course, I set them in a nice pillow first

All kidding aside, it truly was a remarkable Clave...everything just seemed to come together and I am sure that all had a good time...kudos to the Forum and all the "Franks" that came to help out
Old 05-22-2006, 05:58 PM
President of CAC

There is nothing I can say about this past "great" weekend!!!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Middle Aged Member

Juro and crew threw another great party. Food was great and especially memorable were Dave,s tuna, Craigs peat water and the fine wine from the left coast crew. We got home to find Doc Duprey playing with the dog. Work, car troubles, wind, rain and snow couldn't keep him away but, alas, kept him from the festiveties.

Doc and Basser humored me in the morning and helped me scatch an itch. Did a high tide exploratory up inside a creek at the pasture. All's we saw was some 12 to 14 inch fish that we thought were schoolies but the black forked tails suggested something else. This weeks warming weather has got to mean good thing for this area next week. Basser and I had other commitments and had to leave but the view of the bars (see attached) being exposed was too strong a draw for Doc. Look forward to his report.

The "Babbling Franks" bewilder me but thats not hard to do. Think they've been reading too many historical novels. I was going to utter some "Smiley's Peoplespeak" to throw a curve at 'em but few too many spirits left me without recall of the dialog. Also attached are the grill master himself and the grand pupua of the Babblin Franks and Nate (I think Nate is the token outcast).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1674 (Custom).JPG
Views:	278
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5802   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1676 (Custom) (2).JPG
Views:	263
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	5803   Click image for larger version

Name:	116_1680 (Custom).JPG
Views:	285
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	5804  
Old 05-22-2006, 06:33 PM
LBFF Mojo

Ah it was a good time. It was great hanging with you all and insane how big the cows were pushing through on saturday in the surf. The food was great and the company better. You know when you wake up and find out you missed the toilet and soaked your flats shirt it was quite the party

Till next year,

-sean
Old 05-22-2006, 06:41 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Awesome time on Saturday....the fishing (no cows for me, but relatively consistent action in the 15-23 inch size on the inside), the food, the Franks, the Bruces, "Stevie Ray" Mukai and the Cool Clave Quartet, MC Phil, Laser Lucy, the Mighty Simms Clan, the CAC cafe, and the winners of the "Saturday Night Fever at the Squire" contest...
Then there was Sunday morning....oh...my....head.....
Looking forward to the rest of the season, starting with the long weekend ahead....hey Frank, meet ya at Big Girl at the crack o' dawn on Saturday? I promise to use novocaine this time
Flydoc
Old 05-23-2006, 09:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Again the clave kicked off the striper season in rare form. Thanks for the hospitality at the SH by Matt and to John-Frank- and the CAC on Friday. Also for the bone fish tropical tour slideshow from Phil BFM- you could have included more fish shots though- I thought you were trying to sell me a time share!! Hope to make it down to RI before too long. Fred glad you made it, hope the trip to Queens wasn't too much after the celebrations.

The only thing I regret year after year is the 'clave always makes me want to skip the brookie fishing and return to the cape. Nice to see everyone again as always a colorful and enthusiastic croud. The grub was great as usual, how about posting the recipe for the award winning dip- I have to make some. We opted to hit rack and fish Sunday morning rather than continue with the revelry at the CAC. Hope to see many of you again this year if finances allow.

Drew, with the big fish award in our group this year, a nice 32" fresh from the sea.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Sorry didn't run into more of you guys over the weekend. We did make the Squire around 10 on Saturday night and met Dave 17 and Sean there. Saw lots of guys out on Hardings on Sunday morning it looked like. As for the fishing: Got a late start on Saturday, launched at Ryder's Cove around 1pm with wind sustained at 25 plus. Finally found a few fish between Strong and Sipson Islands, high teens, low 20s and then ran around a lot in search of more. Finished the day near where we started hammering twinkies on clousers. Total between 3 guys 1 pm-9pm- 100-120 fish, but nothing over 25"

Sunday I stayed in in the morning with back issues and the boys took the boat again and hammered the schoolies around Strong Island and Minister's Point.

Sunday afternoon we took to Nauset and hammered schoolies out there until about 10 pm in even more wind and weather. Missed one good fish out on Nauset. The beach structure out there right now is downright sexy.

Fished yesterday morning for about two hours, few smallish fish, even more wind.

All in all, fun weekend, weather notwithstanding. New boat was great and handled big water really well.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM

I would like to thank all involved for making this clave a outstanding one! My fingers are cut and sore from the countless numbers of fish caught. Good to see everyone and meet others that I have not met before. What a great meal and great company. Thanks again
Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 AM

As always, it sounds like you guys had a great time. Sorry I couldn't make it, but I ended up checking my wife in to the hospital for surgery (kidney stones) and I just couldn't get myself to leave her alone (even though she was telling me to go), while I was enjoying myself on the Cape. Should score me major points for "getting permission" for a future clave.

Dave

Last edited by fliboy; 05-24-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Dave,

Please extend my get well wishes to your better half... and I admire you for doing the right thing.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.