Steelhead Fly of the week – Lady Caroline - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2006, 03:22 PM

Steelhead Fly of the week – Lady Caroline

This fly, of British origin was named after Lady Caroline Gordon-Lennox, who was the daughter of the Duke of Richmond and Gordon in Scotland. It is probably the most well known of any spey flies and still holds a reputation as one of the deadliest flies of all time. It was originally developed for Atlantic Salmon but west coast and great lakes steelhead fisherman have adopted it for there own use. The recipe I have listed below is one of the most common dressings for the fly but I don’t think it is the original.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook
Tag: Fine silver oval tinsel.
Tail: Golden pheasant red body feather.
Rib: Flat gold tinsel and silver oval tinsel, gold wire as a counter rib.
Body: 2 parts brown dubbing, 1 part olive dubbing mixed.
Body hackle: Grey heron hackle.
Throat: Golden pheasant red body feather as a collar
Wing: Brown mallard.
Head: black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladycaraline.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	5792  
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Another lovely dressing, Charlie - and very true to the spirit of the original.

Igor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Pullin' Thread

Charlie,

This classic salmon fly is one I always have in my box during summer/fall because it is very effective for steelhead. I also carry some that are modified into true low-water mallard wing wets for when the rivers are at their lowest and the steelhead are very wary and prone to spooking.

The low-water version is tied with all the materials except spey hackle. Instead of spey hackle, a small blue-eared pheasant feather or dark dun Whiting American Hackle is tied in at the shoulder (only 2-3 turns) so that it doesn't quite reach the end of the tail. This is then followed by 1 1/2 turns of a smaller G.P. breast feather. The wing is tied on last.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:11 PM
chromedome

Beautiful tie, Charlie. For awhile there, I was reading everything I could get my hands on where greased line fishing was concerned. This pattern kept coming up a lot, probably more than any other.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:11 PM
chromedome

I'm now intrigued by this pattern enough so that I might actually try to tie some up. It looks fairly straight forward except for one thing. The grey heron is illegal from what I've read. I've seen advice on substitutes for this in earlier readings, and did more digging yesterday. I see blue eared pheasant mentioned and a dyed hackle from Whiting. But I have yet to read anything that convinces me that someone has come up with a sure fire substitute for the heron. Does anyone have any further thoughts on this?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:11 PM

Bill,

Blue-eared pheasant is one of the best Subs for heron. Get your hands on some. The stuff from Whiting is inconsistent. I have seen some that is very good and some that is bad. One of those things that you have to look at before you get it.

Charlie.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
chromedome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Bill,

Blue-eared pheasant is one of the best Subs for heron. Get your hands on some. The stuff from Whiting is inconsistent. I have seen some that is very good and some that is bad. One of those things that you have to look at before you get it.

Charlie.
Thanks Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.