Ian and the Robotics Nationals - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Ian and the Robotics Nationals

I Wanted to give an update on Ian's roboticss team's accomplishments at the F.I.R.S.T. Robotics nation competition.

We left early Wednesday April 26th for Atlanta and stayed in some of the suites built in the '90's for the Olympics. The pits and practice game fields were in a convention center adjascent to the Georgia Dome and all of the matches were held on the floor of the Dome.

The teams spent Wednesday tunig up the machines and programming some of the bugs out of the autonomous mode. Thursday the seeding matches we're held and Friday was the elimination rounds.

There were four groups playing simultaneously to eliminate alliances for the championship rounds on Saturday. All while members of the team take data on their opponent by scouting their strenghts and weaknesses for finals alliance choices. Ian's team placed 7th out of the 86 teams in his grouping. The top 8 teams in each group were allowed to pick the two teams that would become their alliance for the finals.

While they were eliminated in the first, quarter final, round they placed 19th over all in the tournament out of 346 teams from 17 countries. They perennialy perform at the top of their regionals winning them 3 times and going on to the nationals twice. This year they beat out teams from NASA, GM, Delphi, Xerox and many others most with engineer mentors and major resources backing them. His team on the other hand has NO mentors with engineering degrees, has no major sponsors and relies mainly on bake sales, bottle drives, donations from local businesses and this year a comedy show with major regional talent donating their time.

Two of the seniors on his team have gotten FIRST assisted full rides to WPI and several others are headed to other top engineering schools. The team has and continues to produce the next generation of engineer problem solvers as a direct result of being exposed to this amazing organization. If you get a chance to help a local team in any way, time talent or treasure I can't stress enough how much more it returns to this country. Check it out for yourself. www.usfirst.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Thanks for the update!

Chris,

Congrats to Ian and the team. I was at the FIRST kickoff dinner at Dean Kamen's house in Bedford, NH this year. My company donates sensors and motor drivers to FIRST because we think that FIRST is a great way to breed the next generation of innovative engineers.

And if Ian gets a full ride to WPI one day then make sure that you get in touch with me. My company is headquartered out of Worcester and we hire WPI grads all of the time both for internships and full time positions.

Hope to see you soon. I have really dialed in the NH fishing scene since the time that we fished the mouth of Hampton Harbor. If you are ever back in the area then let me know and I can show you what I have learned.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2006, 06:26 AM

Mike,
Thanks for the info and for the support your firm gives to FIRST, it really is a great way to cultivate the problem solving process in the young minds of future engineers. I would love for Ian to go to WPI or another top school. He'd really like to be in Boston. Having been on LTD for over a year now I don't know how much help I'll be toward a 42k/year tuition but maybe he'll get one of those fuirt scholarships too.

Brenda and I built a new home in southern Maine a short time ago and I'm a lot closer to the NH coast than when we fished Hampton Harbor so any time you want to get together is good for me. Drop me an email if your headed down and I'll meet you.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
they beat out teams from NASA, GM, Delphi, Xerox and many others
That is pretty amazing! You must be pretty darn proud I would be. Is Ian now a junior?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Awesome! Congrats!

I need to contact my brother to see how the team he mentors did this year. I know they made it to nationals last year.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:39 PM

Juro,
He'll be a junior next year, so nearly. He was one of the co-pilots on the machine. He 's gotten the engineering bug and is digging around school's web sites. Yeh, I'm pretty proud. He's come a long way he had us pretty scared there for a while but has come through it all better than average.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.