May Fly of the month contest - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2006, 10:58 AM

May Fly of the month contest

Yes Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon fly fishers, this is the one you have been waiting for! Tell us your best Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon fly fishing story and win a Spey fly.

Got an interesting story about Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon fly-fishing? Got an interesting lie about Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon fly-fishing? Tell the story here on the FlyfishingForum and you could win the spey fly pictured below.

The rules are simple: Attach your Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon fly fishing story to this thread by May 24 and if our independent panel of judges decides it is the best story we will send you the fly, no questions asked. FlyTalk General Guidelines also apply. The winning story will also be featured on the Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion area for a month for everyone to enjoy. So, lets hear those Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon fly fishing stories. What do you have to lose?

Good luck and may the best story win.

Charlie.

P.S. The judges can submit stories but they are not eligible to win the contest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolDucSpey.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	5718  
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 07:10 PM

A couple of years ago I had a great morning (for me) catching a few steelhead and while making sure my last fish was doing well on release I "felt" something overhead. Looking up I saw a bald eagle around 50 feet overhead and closing. Apparently it had seen the fish. I just wish that somehow it could have gotten the fish close by, would have been an incredible way to end a day's fishing. As it was, still one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2006, 08:53 PM

May fly of the month

Quite a few years ago when my wife was still a novice to fishing in general we took an early trip to the Salmon river for a few days. It was early September and the fishing was a bit slow. I decided to lighten up in hope for a steelhead, my wife didn't care what she caught as long as it was small.
On this particular day we were at the bottom of the DSR near the end of the day and were just about to call it quits when she heard those dreaded words "Fish on". In those days we netted each others fish and she would always pray for a long line release. This day it was not to be. She took the net and began the downstream trek to ready the net, I could see the anxiety in her eyes and imagined the prayer she was saying to hear the words "Fish off". This happened to be the biggest salmon I had ever hooked and knew she was going to have a difficult time. It was quite a show and she was quite a trooper not giving up and attempting 3 times to fit the fish in the net. She would get half the fish in and try to lift and out it would pop. All the while a peanut gallery of experts were shouting instructions on the proper technique. I can't be sure but I think at one point she flipped them all the bird. After an exhausting battle she finally netted the monster. What a trooper.
While I was attempting to revive the fish one of the experts asked if he could have the fish. I didn't think it would survive so I said ok. At that point my wife looked at him and said "If you wanted it so bad why didn't you net it?" No answer. About a half hour later as we were leaving we passed him still dragging the "monster" to the cleaning station. It was truly a big fish.
She still dreads those words "Fish on".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.