We need a good SW wind next week - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We need a good SW wind next week

...to put us into the zone for the clave. There should be plenty of fish in nature's big migratory fish weir (the tub) and no doubt the marathon is on on the backside but the degree of activity and percentage of cows will depend on what the weather does leading up to the weekend.

Pray for a good southwest and hope the bait infusion peaks next weekend!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 AM
CantAnchorUs

Juro, how long are the sand eels? I have them in differant lengths but think when we show up they will be very popular. would hate to run out.
Slinger
Old 05-13-2006, 12:58 PM

Slinger....I fished the tub last week....sand eels were plentiful...balls of 100's went by, they were even 20 ft off the drop on the surface. The balls were grouped by size....some were 2 to 2 1/2 inches, other balls were 3 to 4 inches.....it really didn't matter.....I caught fish on 5 different type flies, the only fly that failed a hook up was a squid. For eels...3 1/2" will do. For the heck of it and to try and attract larger fish, I tied on a 6 inch Sadotti slammer in white.....still got twinkies and fish up to 19 inches. They ruined a very pretty fly Picked up 6 while lifting my fly out of the water to cast again.
There is no need to be a "master" at the moment as my results indicated....just throw in an eel or baitfish pattern in the water Even retrieving isn't necessary.....caught a few casting out, lighting my pipe, they hit it on the drop dead still.
Next time out, I'm going to bring my floating line and some gurglers for some fun.....fish were hitting bait at the surface about 30 ft off the drop. If they are not going to be big yet, may as well have some fun.
Ron
Old 05-13-2006, 05:47 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Skunked on account of rain....

As I was on duty last weekend, I was bound and determined to get some fishing in today, rain or shine. I got to Chatham light shortly after 6 AM, to be greeted by some dude claiming to work for the Weather Channel who asked if it was OK to shoot video of me fishing. I told him I'd be hiking a ways down (the tub), so he decided to shoot me gearing up and heading down the steps. He caught another angler heading down with a Sluggo at the ready. Footage must have ended up on the proverbial cutting room floor, as they ended up just showing some shots of the flags, the light, and some wet tourists when I watched the The Channel later on. At the tub, I flailed away for a good two hours, with no luck to show for it. Did enjoy hooking up with Fishhawk and Craig, who had a bit more success despite the lousy weather. Might try again tomorrow if the rain lets up a bit; I made the mistake of not bringing a rain jacket today, and paid for it by getting soaked to the bone....but still happy to get out!
Flydoc
Old 05-14-2006, 08:48 AM
_

doc -- I saw the Chatham footage on The Weather Channel and they did show a brief clip of a wader-clad fisherman at the top of the steps. Not sure if that was you. There was no audio, just a comment from the studio that the rain didn't prevent joggers and fishermen from getting outside.

Q
Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quentin- I guess that would have been me, although I missed the clip. Maybe they showed it while I was still at the tub with the other stalwart FFF members. Too crappy today for a go though. Next time...CLAVE!!! Hope to meet you there.
Flydoc
Old 05-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger
Juro, how long are the sand eels? I have them in differant lengths but think when we show up they will be very popular. would hate to run out.
Slinger
Steve -

They are typically not the foot long hot dogs that we see on Nauset mid-summer but they aren't the threads we see later either; most of the time the May sand eels I see are bright green 'average' sized eels with very silvery sides and rarely planted in the sand but moving in shoals.

That being said you'd be hard-pressed to find a sand eel fly that fish will not take when they get into a spring feed so I think the correct answer is "anything they can see and fit in their mouth".

Gotta love spring.

Doc -

You are a celebrity! I had 15 seconds of fame on OLN last year so eventually we all might be able to put our footage together and produce a one-minute film

Oh well the real weapons run silent and deep they say.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 AM

Juro,

Looks like we will be getting that SW wind starting on Tuesday and going through Saturday with a couple of shifts to the south and to the west.

Gregg
Old 05-15-2006, 08:05 AM

Great news
Old 05-15-2006, 05:33 PM

SW wind

The weather report I saw today called for high winds /blustery on the cape for saturday ,no general direction mentioned.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:34 PM

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/231.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.