Simplicity, where is it? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:33 PM

Simplicity, where is it?

I am new to the world of fly fishing, well the advanced world of fly fishing. I find it so much more relaxing and simple to just go out to my creek, pond or other waters near by: grab a cane pole, some flies and poppers and i'm off. There is so many terms and equitment for professional fly fishing and it boggles the mind. I have never caught a trout or other big game fish off of a fly, but it is still a thrill to take a rock bass out of a creek, or a big pan sized bluegill out of our local Lagoons. I am only thirteen and i'm new to the site as well. I dont buy the expensive flies, i just make my own or buy some cheap ones from the local Walmart. I guess i'm just a simple folk, but maybe someone here can change my mind and make me think like a real fly fisherman. I dont know much about tippets, leader knots, casting and so forth so I ask that some of you older guys lend some tips. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Pullin' Thread

Actually fly fishing can be as simple or as complex as you desire it to be. In other words, don't worry about whether you have the currently in vogue rod, waders, line, reel, tippet, flies, etc.; instead, do as you are already doing and go out with fly rod in hand (with a fly line of course), toss some flies, poppers, what-have-you at the fish (whether bluegill, bass, trout, salmon, etc.), and have fun.

It really does't matter how much you spent on your rod, line, and reel. However, it does matter that you get better at casting over time simple because it means you will be a more effective fisherman with the fly rod. As far as tippets, etc. go. don't worry, you will learn this as you go forth and progress as a fly fisherman.

You do have a mis-perception though that I can't let go without comment. You made mention several times of "professional fly fishers" and there really are not that many making their living from fly fishing. Well over 90% of us are not professional fly fishers. Keep in mind that as your skill increases with the fly rod, you will desire better (i.e. more expensive) rods and lines because the lower end stuff you most likely have and that most of us started out with will have its limitations become apparent to you. Never, ever forget though that fly fishing is a pasttime meant to be fun, regardless of how much you paid for your rod.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer
You do have a mis-perception though that I can't let go without comment. You made mention several times of "professional fly fishers" and there really are not that many making their living from fly fishing. Well over 90% of us are not professional fly fishers. Keep in mind that as your skill increases with the fly rod, you will desire better (i.e. more expensive) rods and lines because the lower end stuff you most likely have and that most of us started out with will have its limitations become apparent to you. Never, ever forget though that fly fishing is a pasttime meant to be fun, regardless of how much you paid for your rod.
That's pretty much what I was going to add to the conversation. Not many who flyfish are professionals, so don't get caught up in that.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great responses thus far, I would add that what you are doing now is perfect... for what you are doing now. Not to add rhetoric but what I mean is most of us fish for satisfaction, not necessarily (as Thoreau says) the fish themselves.

I am definitely a satisfaction angler, and have a lust for things like the pure, the remote, the unearthed treasure, the well-matched, the traditional, etc.

Pure like a native steelhead in an un-named pool, remote like the thousand square miles of Acklins flats, unearthed treasures aer overlooked by many in common destinations like Cape Cod, and well matched is a 30 pound tarpon from shore where an example of the traditional is a day on the Spey with a ghillie carrying a flask of the finest single malt on a misty day in the peak of the salmon run. Each of these obsessions calls for gear that meets the need, and in some way is a tribute to the pursuit.

It's not the equipment that drives the lust, but the other way around for me and most. I do acknowledge there are those who seem obsessed on the gear while they may not have been through the experiences to warrant it but there's nothing stopping anyone from getting toys. If we stand side by side you might not be able to distinguish which angler has been there and done that by the paraphenalia they carry but I would contend that there is a difference despite appearances.

I recall something that often happens to me while taking kids fishing for bluegills. While having a very enjoyable day with rubber-legged poppers a pack of largemouths will invade the peaceful cove with no less ruckus than a pride of lions on the savanna and leave an indellible mark on the kids. Whoa - look at that it ate a sunfish right in front of my eyes!

My own son was no exception, it wasn't long before he was walking the flats of Monomoy with me and hooking his first keeper striped bass on a fly.

Whats right for you is what's right for you, and these things change over time and you often end up having tons of gear
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM

Of course, if we could make a living at it; we might try. I spent a good portion of my flyfishing life just like you. One day I fished with one of my Mom's friends and he really was a professional. I caught some fish, but he hoovered the river. I got me to thinking. Being more complicated or technical is btter than your way, it's just different. You may get the disease or you may not but either way, as the man said, "A bad day fishing is better than a good day working."
Old 05-13-2006, 09:50 AM

I suggest that you check to see if there is a local Trout Unlimited chapter near you. Many chapters give free casting lessons and tying lessons to youngsters learning the sport.
You might also check with some of your teachers to find out if any of them are into fly fishing and see if they are willing to sponsor a fly fishing club or class -- some of the schools in Maine have them and they are great activities for getting kids interested in the sport.
Last, find out if there is a fly shop near where you live. You will meet lots of fly fishers there and can pick up a lot of knowledge, and maybe even meet someone who will take you fishing with them, with your parents' permission of course. Try to get your dad or mom interested in flyfishing (yes, quite a few women fly fish too) -- it would be a great opportunity to have some quality time with your parents.
Welcome to the sport -- enjoy the scenery and have fun.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Isgrigg
I started the same way ... at about 9 years old ... fly fishing with little poppers for bluegill in Granny's lake.

With many sports you can take it as far as you wish ... simple to complex ... I did a lot of fishing with a rod and flies from K-Mart ... I now have several rods and boxes of flies I have tied myself (another part of the sport) and have traveled all over the US and Canada fishing. It is no different than golf ... hot rod cars ... etc ...

Great advice about contacting Trout Unlimited and your local fly shop or fishing store ... there are always a few guys that would love to help you ... make sure you keep Mom and Dad in the loop was also good advice ... also check the library for books on fly fishing.

I know the club I belong to (Michigan Fly Fishing Club) has several classes a year ... some only for 9-16 year olds.

Good Luck,

Stephen
Old 05-14-2006, 03:57 PM

Hey man I am new to flyfishing as well, I tied flies and read everything on the toppic before I knew how a flyline looked in the flesh !! The thing that got me on flyfishing from the start was that it was "diffarant" and at the time I started fllyfishing I was the only one in town that did, I recived a rod (Blue marlin fiberglass #7) from my uncle, it was one of his old rods, probely 30-40 years old now, bought incorectly sinking line (shakespear)with my birthday(14 th) mony and borrowed mony from my mom to buy a reel (okuma 280 S) 15 years ago, I bought those cheep supermarket flies and it took me about a year before I cought my first fish on fly, Had to teach myself how to cast, as no one was around to show me the how too's and then sudenly all started tho change as fish sudenly turned stupid and I started to catch more fish more often and more than the okes useing conventonal tackle. If I look back today one can't belive the success I had, as the tacle I started out at that time was by then allready outdated But on that rig I must have cought around 300 Bass, +/- 50 Yellowfish + 1 x 32lb catfish, I never turned into an "equipment freak" but I have learned the value of deasant tackle. Go on with what you've got, the most important thing is that you ceep on fishing, one goes throug stages atfirst any fish will do, secondly one wants to cach lots of fish and ones you caches a lot of fish, you will start to target larger fish and then the numbers doesn't mater any more as long as they are big, and then you will get the desire to try somthing else like saltwater and you start all overagain. When you upgrade one day, expearance will tell you what exactly to look for. The best gun you can have in a gunfight, is the one you have with you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.