Winston vs. Thomas & Thomas - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kory
Winston vs. Thomas & Thomas

I am in the market for a 6 wt. for throwing a sink tip w/ streamers. I own a T&T Horizon II 5 weight for Indicator fishing and large dry fly duty. I own a 7 weight Boron IIx for Steelhead fishing and I love both rods. The Horizon II seems to be the faster of the 2 so I was thinking with a sink tip the faster the better. Just looking for some outside input on the situation. Thanks in advance...........

Last edited by Kory; 05-11-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 01:19 PM

I also own both rods. I have the 9wts. The Horizon II has more muscle than the Winston. When the winds howling it the rod of choice. I can throw a 400 grain line with both rods but the Horizon II can handle the extra grains without a problem. So I would go with the Horizon II. FishHawk
Old 05-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Fly chucker

You can get lots of advice from lots of people, but until you cast both rods with the sink tip line you won't really know which one suits your casting style better.

For example, Fishhawk is describing his experiences with both rods in the nine weight size and throwing 400 grain lines. You're looking for info on rods in the six weight size in a sink tip. His observations don't correlate directly to what you are looking for, especially since his casting style might not match yours.

So take all the advice with a grain of salt, and take it into consideration if you are able to cast both rods.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kory
Thank You

Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it. I do have to agree everybody will have different preferences but I went down to the river today and checked them out. The Horizon II is definitely faster. I casted both rods with basically all the fly line out "both rods using Rio Grand Fly Line" The Winston almost folds and feels underpowered compared to the Horizon II. The Winston is better for short distances than the Horizon II but I feel for the application I want this 6 weight to fill "using a sink tip or full sink line" The Horizon II will do a better job. Don't get me wrong they are both great rods they just have slightly different actions. Thanks again Guys...............
Old 05-17-2006, 03:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to skeg Send a message via Yahoo to skeg
Kory, did you check the T&T Helix 6wt?

I think, it has best of the two worlds: lightness, light tip, but very powerful.
It fits perfectly to what you are looking for....

Last edited by skeg; 05-17-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.