This should start a fight - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 PM

Question This should start a fight

I am going to go fishing on a lake near my father-in-laws house. There are supposed to be huge bluegills, chain pickeral, and some bass. In addition there are carp which are said to enjoy taking the occational chesse puff. As a result, I tyied a chesse puff pattern using a #8 hook and a orange fluff ball from a craft store. The question then rises, at what point is something no longer considered a fly? Some old streamer pattern had metal spinners on them. If we believe that that makes something stop being a fly then what about bead heads? Epoxy flies for salt water? Nymphs on a chalk stream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Fly chucker

Oh boy, it's the annual "what is a fly" debate......

Short answer: it's up to each individual, and nobody should impose their idea of what is or is not a fly onto others. Unless of course it's clearly defined in local fishing regulations.

Now back to our regualrly scheduled programming....
Old 05-09-2006, 04:12 PM

I would say that if you used real cheese...then that's bait, not a fly
Ron
Old 05-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Flats Rat

No need for a fight - unless you're looking for one?

At the end of the day, your own conscience is probably giving you the answer

If you sense that what you're using might not be "legit" (i.e. in conformity with 'established tradition', whatever that means) and you feel the need for peer approbation, then, it probably isn't. But by all means feel free to ask. Just understand that there is no difinitive answer. Its about what folks believe. There is no written law, just a lot of conflicting opinion.

Like others have said, it really doesn't matter provided you're not flouting the regs or behaving in a way that might be offensive to other fishermen or the public at large.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM

I guess if you can cast it on a fly rod, using fly line as the casting momentum, then it may be a fly.

I remember years ago on the Deschutes, I took a good friend of mine who really wanted to catch a Deschutes summer run on a fly in the worst way.

Well, almost the worst way.

I went upstream and he went down; we checked in late mid-morning and his radiant smile when we met seemed brighter than the central Oregon sun blasting down on us from above. "I got one!" he exclaimed redundantly.

"Whad'ya get him on?" I asked.

"Well", he explained, "I took that Thunder and Lightning you gave me and put a spinner blade on just above..."

That pretty much killed it for me. "You really didn't have to do that," I managed. "They really do come to unadorned flies."

Well, he was happy enough and what was it to me how he caught his fish? By my lights this was cheating, but who am I to judge. Nuts.

-- Eric
Old 05-09-2006, 07:36 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstcaster
. . . In addition there are carp which are said to enjoy taking the occational chesse puff. As a result, I tyied a chesse puff pattern using a #8 hook and a orange fluff ball from a craft store. The question then rises, at what point is something no longer considered a fly? . . .
Nuthin' wrong with that!

I haven't tried the pre-made fluff balls, but I tie a similar fly using orange and purple yarn to make a small "pom-pom" on the hook. I call it a berry fly, although it's pretty much the same thing as an egg fly, which you can see in any Orvis catalog. If Orvis sells it then it must be a fly .

Q
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 AM

I agree with Adrian. Also, you have to think out of the box sometimes to catch fish. For example , I heard of a Albie fly that worked well and decided to try it on Stripers , now it my killer Spring time fly. Some of the most innovated ideas have come for the Steelhead guys on the West Coast. Pretty soon we'll \be using two handers on the Canal. FishHawk
Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Pencil me in.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
I guess if you can cast it on a fly rod, using fly line as the casting momentum, then it may be a fly.

-- Eric

Right Answer
Old 05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I hide a three strand thing of yarn, two brick reds and an olive - tied in an overhand knot to stop fraying and tied to the hook shank on the other end. This "fly" has fooled some HUGE mid-summer monomoy bass into thinking it's a chopped seaworm c/o the clammer pack on a rising tide.

I am not a big fan of the gummies and the like preferring to use materials to get the same effect, but I am a big popper fan and that has to make me a big of a hypocrite.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-10-2006, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
A fly needs to "match the hatch", and for carp the "hatch" can be berries or other things instead of bugs. One of the best carp flies I know if is a purple mulberry imitation. It's pretty much what you're tying except it's purple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.