Now I get it! - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Fly chucker

Talking Now I get it!

Okay, let me preface this by saying that prior to this past week's fishing trip I had a grand total of about two hours experience it steelhead fishing.

On the two middle days of our pike trip, the wind was honking so hard from the west that boat control, even up in the tiny feeder creeks and estuaries, was nearly impossible. Even with the trolling motor nearly maxed out, it was not a pleasureable experience. So what did we do? We went steelheading.

The Salmon River was at 290 cfs when we arrived in the area, but after a few days of pike fishing the level was down to 185. Those steelhead were hunkered down in the holes, not moving out with the bright sunny weather. Perhaps a good time to catch a dropback fish? Time would tell.

Bert tried to key me into the proper presentation for these fish. I've only swung wet hackles for trout, but never larger flies for steelhead. I apparently have the presentation down pat, as over two days I had multiple hits and hookups. Several popped off on the strike, and several were gone within a few headshakes or leaps. I couldn't seem to find the happy medium between letting them hook themselves solidly on the swing and not popping them off on the take. They were either gone in an instant from too hard a set, or after some aerial displays that shook out a poorly set hook.

But we did catch plenty of other nice fish along the way. Several nice three pound smallmouth took our flies, and we also got some nice native rainbows (one of which was a personal best for me on the fly, a fat 22 inch fish). Bert managed to get a nice 10 pound steelhead, and I was glad to see one up close. It was beautiful. So although I'm still technically a steelhead virgin, I had plenty of opportunities. It was hard not to develop a complex after jumping and dropping so many fish.

But now I understand.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 01:31 PM
fish'n Hobo

Good for you Mark!
now you are hooked....
you soon will be driving thru the dark of night, fishing during Blizzards and sub zero weather to get
.... the Steelhead fix!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 AM

Mark,

Just read your report on the warm water forum. Sounds like you had a fun trip except for the wind. Glad to hear it. You need to come back in the fall and give it another shot.

Charlie.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Fly chucker

Charlie, I just might do that to get into the kings when they come into the river. I definitely have a higher interest in this type of fishing now.

I give you all fair warning that I might pose a multitude of questions over the next several months.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Pullin' Thread

Mark,

Next thing you know you will be working on a plan to come out to the PNW and fish for our wild, Pacific fed steelhead. I ought to mention another hazzard to having hooked (although not landed yet) a steelhead or two, and that is the desire to do it again and again and again to the point where you won't want to fish for anything other than steelhead or Atlantic Salmon.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:00 AM
Fly chucker

I suppose that's one recreational hazard I'm willing to risk.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:25 AM

And besides, your not going to let those fish beat you, are ya?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Fly chucker

Instigator.........
Old 05-18-2006, 07:56 AM

oh boy, another convert...

Do you wake up in a cold sweat yet? Don't worry, you will.

Practicing on kings is what I do to all my new steelheading friends. It's like a video game. At first try, you die right away. Second time, you get past the first level but die right away on the second until eventually you keep one on long enough to see it. Nice report. good luck
Old 06-02-2006, 07:34 AM

Welcome to the Dark Side.

Now that you have discovered Steelheads, welcome to the dark side. Your mind will soon become obsessed with them. You will be looking for ways to to get out of work to go fish for them. You will soon be planning vacations, 3 day weekends and holidays to be with them. Your spouse will eventually give you the ultimatum them, with their sleek firm bodys, or mine. Teach your spouse to fish for them so that you never have to choose. Or leave now and run away fast, very fast, before you are sucked into the vortex.
Helplessly trapped in the vortex of steel, flyfisher151
Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.