I WORKED - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I WORKED

this past weekend...

PLEASE how about some weekend striper reports!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 11:13 AM

Where I fished:

Lots of shorts

No bluefish

Nice weather to be outside

Last edited by BigDave; 05-08-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cole
Here's one for you Juro:

I decided to explore some of southern RI this past weekend, as I usually don't go down there (and I've heard some reports of keepers). I ended up trying my new setup around the Point Judith area.

First spot was the lighthouse. I Tied on a big herring pattern I worked on the last few weeks and ventured out on the jetty. I made a few casts and realized that this probably wasn't a very good spot, because, with the rocks, a fish would end up landing me in the surf... Anyways, before heading back, I made three casts, on the final one, I hooked up with a decent fighting schoolie. Fourtunately for me I got a long line release. Next, I tried around the Scarborough beach area. Spent an hour or so there and caught 5 sub-20 schoolies on big flies... Finally, I spent the rest of my evening trying the outgoing at inlet in Gallilee. Just one little guy and that's it.

So overall, pretty quiet in the Pt. Judith area. I've never really tried these spots, so it could have been epic just down the beach, I just don't know the hotspots there... I'm really excited about this season though, I tried out my new xi2 and danielsson reel together, casting a 375 grain Teeny sinker; the rod is as effortless and enjoyable casting as I remember!

I heard good things from the Popponesset area. A friend at work saw some fly-fishers hooking up regularly down there...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Jonesin...

I took a half day on Friday and went into the city to catch the Sox game with a buddy. We arrived back home about 12:30 a.m. and were leaving the dock at 4:45 a.m. to catch the first light bite. Sleep is highly overrated when the fish are in . Our efforts were rewarded with I would estimate about 75-100 fish each in a 7 hour period. Most were schoolies ranging from 10-25 inches but I managed to pick up a few bigger fishing throwing some "chicken on chain." Well, actually it was a large BT Deceiver but same idea. The bigger fish were 2 right around 28" and a fat 34"er that allowed me to see the backing for the first time this year. Bait was 3" silversides in small schools so the blitz action was not as concentrated but the fish were all over.

Sunday was a different day. Launched at 4:30 but rounding the corner out of the cove we were met with a steady 15-20 mph NW wind. We found some sporadic blitzes but with the wind and a buddy who is new to fly casting on board we had a relatively tough time of it. I was able to pull out a couple smalls in the blitz action and a few just short of legal on the mud flats. The highlight of the morning was putting Dave on his first fly caught bass just before he had to head back to the dock to get home. I went back out and tried to do a little sightfishing on a local flat. Tough vis on a relatively dark bottom with some cresting boat wakes. Saw a few fish and some bait but gave up after realizing I just couldn't pick them up quickly enough to make a good presentation before they spooked off the boat. The wind had died down so I headed back out to see if I could locate the blitzes of Saturday. No luck on that front but I did pick up another 33" fish on the mud flats. Heading back home the wind had turned on to a nice 15-20 SW that really kicked up the west passage and made for the first soaking of the year taking a few on the beam.

Overall a great spring weekend. Just hoping the cooler temps this week don't put an end to the annual silverside migration action.

Sean
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM
CantAnchorUs

I had a 3 day weekend, so I was out Fri Sat and Sun. The mid bay is wall to wall fish gorging on silversides. Better fish are starting to mix in with the hordes of schoolies. The fishing was so fast it was silly. The fish were very picky, the fly had to be in the water or they wouldn`t eat, they refused to jump out of the water and catch it in the air! Sunday was a bummer, we were into fish but the wind and tide made it impossible to fish, was blown off the water by 9. I hesitate to say how many I got because people would say I was lying, screw em, I guess @ 350! Next week is another 3 day weekend and the tides are better and the fish will be bigger!
Slinger
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Sounds like some sandpaper thumbs out there! Glad to hear the coastal onslaught is in full gear. I am counting the days to the clave
Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM

Nork Fork Eastern LI.

Got in a good morning fishing on LI. Some very nice fish gave the Horizon II a good workout. Bitten off by a large blue, Fish were on 4" sand eels. Tried an experimental pattern which was a real killer. Starting to really like LI. FishHawk
Old 05-08-2006, 04:10 PM

Waquoit to Falmouth

Late night - predawn sorties, fishing entrances to salt ponds ebbing and flooding tides producing quite well on high quality striped females.Squid , squid and more squid,did I mention squid?Roughly 8-10 inch squid patterns,creme shaded bucktail mixed with rust or ambered bucktail tied reverse hollow style with amber and yellow hackle tenticles ,orange and yellow and some red krystal flash mixed in.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Throwing those monsters on the two-hander or a single?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM
resigned

SE Ct. Report...Mystic River area

I have not ventured much farther than my back door. Don't have to. A dozen keepers over the last six days. Much better during overcast.. drizzle and wind. More of that on the way.
One 32 incher decided he didn't want anything to do with me and clampled down hard on my left thumb just behind the knuckle during the photo session while the fish was still in the water. OWSA!
Big old crusty scab there now. Quonny has been giving up some keepers early and late. Ken Abrames hosted a meet there on Saturday complete with a barbecue.

Phil
Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 PM

Which rod?

It depends on the location,mostly the 2hander ,its getting to the point where I've been using the 2hander so much I feel under gunned throwing the single handers.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:12 PM

Sure is easier to throw a 10" squid that's for sure. I find that resting the rod butt on my hip and applying side pressure makes fighting respectable sized fish (e.g. 15-20# and up) much more pleasant while the flyline is so far out there it's nowhere in sight.

Phil, you got it made brotha!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Jonesin...

Phil,

You got me inspired. Went down to the dock tonight to make a few casts. Ended up with one 12" schoolie but it felt good to get out on a normal weeknight. Might get a little more ambitious and actually don the waders tomorrow or later in the week.

Sean
Old 05-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Flats Rat

I took part in the third anual Kayak fishing tournament down in Jamaica Bay yesterday. That's Jamaica Bay Brooklyn NYC before anyone thinks I was in the Caribbean locale

I was unable to get there for the early start and missed out on some incredible fishing. Over two days, folks using conventional gear were taking Stripers over 40inches and Blues to 26. These were following large schools of decent sized bunker that congregate in the bay this time of year. The biggest prize of all is the Weakfish that are running up to 35 inches. I saw one landed that went 33". They really are gorgeous looking fish. I hope they make it back to our shores. It seems that from New York South they make a fairly consistent annual showing. I really wanted one on the fly but needed to be on the water at first light.

The fly guys had it tough yesterday since the advertized 5-10 mph turned into a stiff 20-25 that blew from the North East in the morning and did a switch to blow from the South East in the afternoon. The fly division was won with a 32 inch striper. All I could manage were cocktail blues to 20 inches that were very happy munching my carefully tied flies. First bluefish of the year were still a lot of fun and I got a good workout paddling into the wind.

Whoever would believe you would find a National Park in Brooklyn?

The event was based out of Floyd Bennet Field. This comes under the Gateway Recreation Area and a cartop access permit costs $50 per year which is also good for Sandy Hook.

J'Bay is definitely a great place to Kayak fish. Extensive marshes and shallows keep a lot of the boat traffic confined to the deeper channels. The only downside I can see is the huge amount of accumulated sediments that combined with extensive shallows makes for turbid water after a storm. I guess the other would be the horrendous traffic yesterday afternoon. Three and a half hours to cover 77 miles is a bit off-putting

All in all about 160 kayakers entered the event with the proceeds going to Casting for Recovery and Friends of Gateway.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41 AM

Weekend 5/5 -5/7

Fished Popponessett, beach and Bay. Water dirty off the beach but plenty of 18" to 22" stripahs if you could keep fly clean. Sat and Sun AM fished Poppy Bay "Spit". Water was clean and beach was littered with silversides to 3" and squid 9" and up. Sun AM got into first decent fish of year for about 90 min. Released 9 fish from about 26 to 31"(measured). All big, broad shouldered, bright fish. Thought I had hooked "Moby Dick" but turned out to be a foul-hooked 26"er that I could not turn. Took me up and down the beach and about 5 min of "mouth to mouth" to get him/her/it back to release condition. Got a face full of salt h2o for my efforts but it was fun! Supposedly, and fishermen don't lie, a 7# blue caught off the spit Fri early eve. Squid boats working off Waquoit all weekend. Things are deffinitely looking good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.