Big girls are showing!!!!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
resigned

Big girls are showing!!!!!!

Headed out the door an hour into the incoming tide armed with Fishawk's Tuty Fruity fly and my trusty Scott STS 908-3. Put Paxton's version of the Ray's fly to the test with equal results. Orange over white clousers with gold flash were awesome. No sea lice on these girls and boys.

I was into fish right away at 6:30 pm. First wave of bass were in the mid 20's. and then all of a sudden the low 30's. Saw backing for the first time this year. No shad in the mix. A fish on almost every cast! One of the best days on the water in such a short period of time than I've ever experienced. Numerous keepers! Windy... cloudy and just downright fishy. The Barn Island area is turning on as well from recent reports. This should be a great week to be on the inside of Napatree for wading anglers....or....my backyard?

Thanks again Ron and Bill for those killer flies!!!!!!!!

Phil
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 AM

My next fly to try on these fish will be the Toad. The timing of the Clave is perfect . Those Chamber of Commerce big girls with fish Cape Cod painted on their sides should arrive up here just in time for a grand outing.
FishHawk
Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Phil...sounds like a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 AM

Fishhawk- Have you tied any toads yet? I read the article and they don't look too tough. I need to get tying for that weekend.

Bonefishmon- got any pictures of the tutti-fruity? The tutti-fruity I have used before was at Harker's and it was chart/pink ultrahair with pearl flash. You're saying orange over white with gold flash? What size? Thanks guys See you at the Squire.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

AWESOME news Phil! Some of the breeders are done down south and are on the run it seems. I have to add the shad fly thing to my list of 2006 goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
The timing of the Clave is perfect
You sound surprised. All modesty aside it was no accident, the timing was by design albeit at the mercy of mother nature who is the wildest tempered woman I know

Last years participants got their eyes opened to an annual phenomenon; we talked about keeping the real spicy knowledge of the airwaves although we will share generously in person at the event. There will be little doubt what I am talking about then.

Looking forward to a right proper kick-off for the year!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-03-2006, 10:39 AM

Nice report. You mention the fish did not have lice. Did they look like migratory fish or holdovers?

Titleguy - Tutti Frutti is just a chartreuse over pink or pink over chartreuse clouser.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:16 AM

That's what I though BigDave- Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
resigned

Tuty Fruity

Fishhawk's version starts with white bucktail.. some flash..some pink..bucktail...topped with chartruese bucktail. Fish busting up everywhere at my spot today... late afternoon. Several more keepers landed. The schoolies are very fat and fiesty. Most of them in the twenties.

Got up this am with 15 minutes to spare before leaving for work. Headed to the point and made one cast. Spent the next fifeteen minutes chasing a pretty big girl all over the place trying to avoid tangling with underwater boulders. Was almost late for work! My thumb feels GREAT! Buy my shoulder is on fire.

Phil
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 PM
resigned

[QUOTE=BigDave]Nice report. You mention the fish did not have lice. Did they look like migratory fish or holdovers?

Dave. My guess is these are Thames/ Housie/Ct. River holdovers heading east . The Hudson fish tend to make the swing around Montauk and RI is seeing them now. Two of the larger fish this afternoon had lice. No tags.

Phil
Old 05-04-2006, 07:19 AM

Phil ,glad to hear the Fruity got the girls to bite. Will be down to try it out after the Clave. FishHawk
Old 05-04-2006, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
What's a toad?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Jonesin...

Chris,

The Toad is a tarpon fly that was featured in the latest FFSW. Andy Mill swears by them according to the article and I believe he said the same in the Chasing Silver show on OLN. It is basically has a marabou tail, a bunny collar and some floating yarn tied merkin style for a head with some mono eyes. I tied a few up to try this season as well and think they may work on finicky albies or SBFT as well. Haven't fished one yet. There was a guide from Maine referenced in the article that said he had good luck with all white versions on bass.

Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.