Chatham in July - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 05:56 AM

Chatham in July

How is the fishing in the area in July?

My friend & I are thinking of taking a trip down to the Chatham area in July to fish off the shore for Stripers. Our plan is to take the Rip Ryder to Monomoy & fish from there.

Is there a place to Tent Camp nearby or do we need to fork over the bucks & stay at a motel?

Since I cannot make the Spring Clave for a Recon I figure this is the best place to start planning.

Warren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 AM

Warren.....July in Chatham can be great and it can be challenging...but there are always fish to be found...they can at times just get a bit picky. Either way, on the flats you will see at least 100 fish per 6 hr + outing (bring polarized glasses - a must). In my very humble opinion, I prefer South Beach as opposed to Monomoy....both are great, but SB gives you more low tide options(fishing the drops) and a surf side option....locations are about 1/4 mile apart at most and both accessed by Rip Ryder.
Until the bunker arrive, flies of my choice are olive over white and tan over white sand eel patterns ranging from 1 1/2 inches to 31/2 inches....tie up some sparse ones as well (esp for Monomoy)...I like the tan on bright days once the sun is 1/2 way up.....also some olive shrimp patterns (about 1 1/2 inches on a # 4 hook) Look up Bender shrimp on this site......it's a very successful pattern and I've had great results with it at low tide times, just drifting it over the drop and bars and or over grass.
Fish are at both locations thru October and don't forget to fish Morris Island late afternoon/early evening once you get off the shuttle...throwing gurglers in lower light can be a blast.
Ron
Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 AM

PS: I don't know on any local camp sites, maybe others do......Chatham motels are more pricy...but maybe a long stay can cut you a deal...or head towards Dennisport (20 min away) for prices in the 50-60 range per night.
Ron
Old 05-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Camp just up the road a ways at Nickerson State Park on 6A. Also hit the bayside flats, but mind the tides which are virtually twice the soundside. The campsite is convenient for both.

June would be better fishing, even late May. Then again in late August early September - but July is the quintessential flats experience
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-02-2006, 08:12 AM

If you are planning to find a campsite at Nickerson in July you will want to make a reservation asap.

Plenty of motels in Harwich for $40 bucks a guy if you look around. Wishing Well and Sea Breeze come to mind...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 AM

Thanks fellas for the info. Since I am rained out for the day workwise, I am gonna get on the phone & Google to see about lodging.

What better way top spend a rainey day. Fishing or planning a fishing trip?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:46 AM

There is also a private campground on 6a a little to the west, shady acres or something. I prefer Nickerson but the latter has better amenities depends on what you are after.

If you have a 4x4, camper and toilet you can overnight throughout the year (n days at a time) on Nauset for under $200.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:02 PM

RV's nauset

Nonresident self contained OSV permits are now $250.00 to drive south nauset.Non resident OSV permits for single night or day use are $180.00.Still a bargin considering during the week there's a good chance you will have the place to yourself.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hello,

I thought Nickerson was closed early season this year due to extensive damage from a wind storm this past December around 1 million $$ damage. Our group had to go camp elsewhere this year. Perhaps when you get down it will be completely opened up again. But area 6 were we usually camp was closed for tree removal and repairs.

I know there was a private campground up near Wellfleet called Payne's campground. Probably good location for Nauset to Coast Guard beach area. The only other one I know is called Myles Standish or something like that in South Carver.

I think there might be a spot by the CC canal too, But I think camping options are limited.

Greg.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:55 PM

The two other closest options for camping other than Nickerson are Sweetwater on Rt 124, turn north of Exit 10 heading towards Brewster. Then as Juro mentioned, Shady knoll at the end of Rt 137 on Rt 6A. Nickerson is coming along, but not sure when it will open completely. Lots of clean up activity there recently.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:02 AM

Once again thank you for the replies. I'll get cracking & find us a place to stay.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:34 AM

I have stayed both at Nickerson and Sweet water Forest both are close to the fish and would recommend either.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:45 AM

I can give you some unofficial camping spots as well but I can't mention them in the presence of the law (our fine captain is also a police officer)
Old 05-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Now your talkin' Juro.....The forbidden is always better
Old 05-04-2006, 08:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Sweetwater Forest has been a good spot for us on several trips. If tipping a drink is important private is the way to go. State parks and campgrounds prohibit drinking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.