Whats your Bone Rod/Reel? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:35 AM

9'8wt -4 Sage Xi2, Old Florida 55

9'7wt -4 TFO, Old Florida #4

Sci Anglers Mastery Bonefish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Limpe

Send a message via ICQ to Limpe Send a message via MSN to Limpe
Loop Blueline Salt 8.8 ft #8 My favourite!
Sage RPLXi 9 ft #8

Loop tradional 3W filled with SA XTS gelspun backing/ Sage Equator taper
Redington AS 11/12 filled with gelspun and Wulff SWTBF taper

Also carry some spare lines/spools, been trying the FP-line (really nice line, shoots smooooth, Tropical clouserline for other species/poppers).

Have been casting with an Winston Boron 2x something rod, i was impressed by its qualities!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Xi2 9ft, 8wt. 4pc, Abel Super 8 and SA Bonefish Line
RPLXi 9ft, 8wt, 4pc, Abel Super 8 and SA Bonefish Line
Old 05-07-2006, 05:43 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Scott S3s 9' 8wt
Sage 3400D
SA bonefish line
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM

8 wt. Sage Xi2, Ross Saltwater IV, SA Bonefish line.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:24 PM

I use a Sage Xi2 7,8,9 with Charlton 8500.8 reels and either Wulff Bermuda Triangle Tapers or 3M Bonefish lines and a mountain of Tuf Line XP backing.

I use a Sage Xi2 6 with a Charlton 8450 7/8 with a Wulff BTT.

No complaints.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:21 AM

For 8 years I have used a Loomis GL-3 matched with a Lamson LP-3.5 and that outfit, though not top of the line, has worked well for me.

I am upgrading this year. I spent a long time checking reels and rods trying to decide. An Everglades and a XI-2 would be nice but I just can't justify that kind of money. I wanted something light too since most of my bonefishing is as far out as I can get and is almost exclusively wading.

Here is what I decided on.
The New Sage 2580 reel. It is under 6oz, large arbor, holds 200yds, suposed to be sealed and maintenance free and I have heard good things about the drag. I know of a guide in NC that uses them and has tested them on false albacore tighteining them way down and they stood up.

I am pairing it with a TFO TICR-X 7 wt. I have a 9wt and really like it. I plan to load the 7 with 8wt line thinking it would give me good distance and help load the rod fast for those short quick casts that are so important when bonefishing.

Thats a an outfit I think should work well, weighing under 11oz total and costing under $650 total. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBoneguy
Juro,

How do you like that TT, I've been around the Fly fish world for sometime but never have heard of a Danielsson reel. Fill me in when you get sometime.

Sorry I didn't see this until now.

The 7wt H2 is amazing. I cast it at the shows over the winter and could not believe how well it carries line without being stiff. I hate stiff rods, can't understand how people use them. The energy that goes into the line comes from the rod's load not the arm's forcing push, or more acurately a cooperation of the two. Some rods are so stiff the arm does all the work, like a 2x4.

The T&T H2 loads clean and progressively but gets all of the arm power into the stroke. I was especially impressed with the 7wt 4pc travel rod and that's what I bought.

I never fished any other rod the entire 7 days in Acklins, never needed to despite strong winds and some long cast demands. The problem with stiff rods is that the short game stinks, but the 7wt is supple enough to make quick casts in fact I hooked and landed a nice bone on a snake roll cast after missing one pod, 90 degree change and cast to another and bang.

With longer taper lines like the SA bonefish one can aerialize a lot of line and the H2 will take it in stride. Besides I love the aesthetics of the rod, and that matters a lot to me. As much as I am impressed with the more affordable rods I see these high end rods as more matched to my personal taste in fly gear (a very subjective thing I am sure).

The Danielsson reel is the former LOOP Evotec, they designed and built these reels for the international market for many years. Since their decision to sell direct after some turbulence in the LOOP relationship the reels are now available at an incredibly affordable price.

While working in the rod business recently I had to buy a lot of reels and I own a fair collection. Some have let me down, others have gotten me through hard duty. I can honestly say that these reels offer the price/performance balance I have been after and the sealed drag is probably the best out there. Combined with the aesthetics I am sold.

There are many great rods and reels out there as this thread proves. But as my goto bonefish outfit, I can't say enough about the H2 and the Danielsson combo.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

Sage Xi2 8 - 10 wt
Ross BG 5,6's
Abel Super 7
Rio lines all
Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 AM

T&T HII 8wt, abel #2 sa wf8f bonefish line
T&T Helix 10wt #3 abel sa wf10f salt line
Old 05-12-2006, 05:17 AM

Sage xi2 890 with an satin gold Tibor Evergaldes reel and Rio bonefish line 8 or 9 weight(it depends on how windy it is.)

Sage Rplxi 690 with an black Tibor Freestone reel and Rio bonefish line 6 weight or Rio Quickshooter 7 weight when it`s too windy

Blaster Pusher
Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 AM

Hey Juro, some of us love stiff rods...different strokes for different folks. Personally, although I can cast them, I at the opposite end of the spectrum from you - I can't stand slow or moderate action rods. Now, believe me, I don't "force" the rod to load - if you have a good casting stroke, IME, you can load any rod, fast or slow. It's all preference. I feel a stiff rod offers me the precision and response I want along with the ability to put together tighter loops and more efficient transfer of energy.

I'd also respectfully disagree about what reel has the finest drag out there. IMHO the best drag out there is on Charlton reels. Charlton reels have accounted for record big game fish far out of proportion to the numbers of them out there and the anglers who use them attribute a significant part of that success to the outstanding drag on these reels (including the record for blue marlin 297 lb., bluefin tuna 197 lb.,). Not to say other reels don't have good drags, but if you take a look at a Charlton reel's drag and how it's designed and tested, most agree it's the finest out there bar none.

Last edited by formula1; 05-12-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 PM

I don't recall ever saying "best" drag, however I have mentioned that some are really good for the money. Charltons are really good, maybe even the best - but they should be for the money. I am not up on current prices (since discontinuation) but if not mistaken I can outfit everything from my trout rod to my Spey rods for the price of one with the other.

As far as stiff rods, you're right to each his own. I would love to have a tight loop / distance / accuracy and most importantly a flats reaction contest with you sometime, a gentleman's bet of course. I am no Lefty Kreh but I can hold my own a bit and I hope we can share a day on my flat or yours someday1
Old 05-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Thinking this through a bit more, much of this could be perception. What is a stiff rod, verses a fast rod? I love casting and fishing fast rods, but not stiff ones.

As a casting instructor I've learned to begin by getting the mental picture clear and synchronized. This is often an important basis for establishing the physical aspects of casting.

So let me begin by saying that my interpretation of 'stiff' rod is a rod that does not hold the energy available from the mass and resistance in the line opposed by the stroke of the arm in a comfortable place. In other words, because that compression of forces can not establish itself in the flex profile, a feeling of pressure on the wrist and forearm occurs rather than a feeling that there is a good load somewhere up the blank in a more comfortable place.

Also the interval between load and recoil is very abrupt and gives little time for correction or appreciation of the critical path of acceleration which is 50% of the recipe for a tight loop. What, in your opinion, is the recipe for a tight loop and tell me how a 'stiff' rod promotes it?

Another symptom is poor roll casting and single handed spey casting characteristics due to lack of loading from a D-loop.

I am not familiar with the Powell Tiburon but I will give it a toss. It could very well be that the rod matches my tastes and we have different perceptions of words to describe them. Perhaps you are familiar with the T&T H2 or the sage RPLXi and RPL series. How would you rate them?

Conversely I consider a rod fast when it uses it's taper characteristics and modulus to recoil the energy stored in the flex of the rod to generate line speed quickly. A rod does not have to be stiff to be fast. And not every rod that holds it's load in a comfortable location on the blank has to be slow.

Perhaps it's (as it often is) a matter of perception. So do tell, what are your perspectives on tight loops and stiff rods?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Rods (4pc):
tfo 7 wt (an old model)
tfo ticrx 8 wt

Reels:
Okuma large arbor
Old Florida #4
TFO 325

Nothing special needed to fish for bonefish, yet fishing for them is very special.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.