spey/skagit casting the canal - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:38 PM

spey/skagit casting the canal

Was there any final decision on whether this is going to happen before,during or after the spring striper clave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Pencil me in.....

No, not to my knowledge. Up in the air so to speak. I only have a low tide spot or two...I was hoping that someone had a spot or two in mind for the Friday afternoon high so some folks could hit it on the way down cape...I also tried to suggest the Monday am low as an alternative because I don't believe that anyone would want to trek back up to the canal on Sat or Sun am
Old 04-28-2006, 06:11 PM

old canal channel

I was wondering about the cause way to Mashnee ,walking out and fishing the old canal dredging,maybe intercept the herring migration before they enter the canal.Its been awhile since I've done this ,is this still do able?
Old 04-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Pencil me in.....

I am not sure about parking in that area. I would presume that would be a low tide spot and probably not a good test of the small D-loop technique. I would presume there are a number of spots along the mainland service road at high, such as the stretch from the RR bridge to the Bourne.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:12 PM
LBFF Mojo

I am in friday where ever you guys decide is best. Just let me know as the time gets closer. Have a ton of equipment I can bring out to play with. Basser and I can discuss next weekend.

-sean
Old 04-28-2006, 09:15 PM

Friday Canal Fishing

Just a thought but with the "normal" Fri PM traffic and the construction going on at Sagamore Bridge the trip to Chatham Fri Afternoon could be a B*#:H! Don't know what the tides are for Mon morn but might be more enjoyable, travel-wise, then. Last weekend I crossed the Bourne Bridge at about 9AM Fri morn and traffic was "one lane" as they were painting lower portion and wind was gusting pretty good. Took about 30 min from east Buzzards Bay Rotary to Bourne Rotary. I am going to stay Sunday nite at my cottage , in Mashpee, and can accomodate another 4 or 5 if interested. I am only about 30/40 min from Sandwich.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Pencil me in.....

Ok Sean, see you next Sat and we can discuss some other spots that might avoid traffic and be fishable on the high. I PMd stripperstripper a place to check out on the Cape Side at High Tide.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Flats Rat

John, Sean, were you guys able to hook up?

There are plenty of other spots to play with the two-hander out on the Cape and I plan to bring the arsenal along.

Bridge Street in Chatham sets up nice on the outgoing tide. Not a bad place to fish if its blowing like hell out front too.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Pencil me in.....

Adrian,

Sean, Striperstripper and I are still resolving spots and times for Friday, but I will be at the canal area from very early in the morning through part of the afternoon in any case. I need a canal fish fix before I make the drive to the Pharside..there is a breaking fish tide phase at 8:17 AM...I plan to land a 3 oz. Polaris on a break and hope she breaks once more.

Last edited by jfbasser; 05-13-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:16 PM

#210 - 215 mainland side has always treated me OK. The 100 steps near the powerlines is not so bad either. I have no idea what a d loop is so these spots may not be the best for that method, I am assuming your require very little in the way of a backcast though. There is usually a bass or two behind a certain rock in the area I first mentioned, while the herring are running that is. Good luck to you guys, when you hook even a decent fish 3'+ in the canal while the tides running you'll know you got something. The canal runs nearly twice as fast as the south tip of Monomoy. Should be a blast when you hook up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.