Need 4th for a great trip to Belize - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 PM

Need 4th for a great trip to Belize

We need an experienced fly fisherman to join the three of us on a great inshore fly fishing trip to the waters of Belize. This will be a mother ship trip on the Meca, captained by Martin McCord. Martin was the head guide at Belize River Lodge for many years. While at the Lodge, he had guided me for three years. He also captained the Lodge's mother ship trips. He left the Lodge about 7 years ago to build his own mother ship. Before guiding, Martin was a diesel engineer on an oil tanker that ran out of South America. Together with his brother, a naval architect, they built the Meca to be a very comfortable and seaworthy mother ship. Not only is Martin one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, but he is also one of the best guides you'll ever have. The three of us that are already signed on are experienced inshore saltwater fly rodders and so as not to complicate things, we need someone with at least 4-5 years experience who can handle being on the waters for a week (August 16-August 23). We are booked through Angling Destinations and here is their blurb on Martin and his Meca see anglingdestinations .com If you have someone in mind, have them email me for further details.

Adam

<live-link to non-sponsor removed>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM

Ahhhh

Fished with the Meca last summer. It is a great operation. The food is amazing. Not to mention the fishing. We fished with Dean and Noel. Had tons of shots at Permit while fishing off the reef just east of St. Georges Cay. WISH I COULD GO!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nute
Fished with the Meca last summer. It is a great operation. The food is amazing. Not to mention the fishing. We fished with Dean and Noel. Had tons of shots at Permit while fishing off the reef just east of St. Georges Cay. WISH I COULD GO!!!
Hi Nute. I haven't fished the Belize waters for several years now and I was wondering if you could share some fly info with me. I think that we will be mostly targeting permit and tarpon by sight. I, personally, don't use sinking lines, or blind cast into the deep channels. I know that one increases chances of a tarpon hook-up when fishing the channels, but for me it ain't the way to go. Anyway, last time there I was successful with cockroach flies for the tarpon and brown/tan merkins for the permit. What did you guys find to be successful: stule and colors? BTW, as I am a very lazy fly tyer, I plan on using bunny type flies, but I'm not sure of the colors (other than to make some up in browns to imitate the cockroach). As for bones, I think that they will be an aside and as I remember, gotchas and charlies did real well.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:37 PM

I have fished with Martin and Dean and we had a terrific time on the Meca. I will have to post some vid.
As for flies, the Peterson Spawning shrimp worked well for permit down there. Call Don Muelrath about suggestions. He has probably fished more on the Mecca than anyone. He would love to chat: 888-347-4896. Tell him Eddie says, "Hi".
Old 05-01-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I have fished with Martin and Dean and we had a terrific time on the Meca. I will have to post some vid.
As for flies, the Peterson Spawning shrimp worked well for permit down there. Call Don Muelrath about suggestions. He has probably fished more on the Mecca than anyone. He would love to chat: 888-347-4896. Tell him Eddie says, "Hi".
Hi Eddie, good suggestion. Actually, Don had called me when the Meca was ready to go on one of its first trips. I think he called all of Martin's old clients to give them a shot on the boat. At that time I couldn't get the money or partners to take advantage of the initiation trips. For 7 years I've thought about it and now, by rather unexpectedly lucky good fortune, I stumbled on this trip. I'll call Don and say "Hi."

BTW, I am a very lazy fly tyer...the simpler, the better. The farthest I've gone on permit flies have been with Merkins and "button" crabs. Looked up the spawning shrimp pattern. It does look to be more complicated than the merkin, but not all that difficult to make...would you say so?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 AM

Spoke with Don yesterday and he sends regards. When I asked him about flies, he sort of stuck to the ones that are recommended on his site. Namely, for tarpon he liked the orange grizzly and the cockaroach, and for permit her felt that the raghead crab and merkins would do fine (tan with green). Looks like it comes down to make the right presentation, hope the fish is feeding, and hang on.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:07 PM

the rag heads are terrific too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.