Intermediate line discussion - 9wt clear (head) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Intermediate line discussion - 9wt clear (head)

Old topic but as long as manufacturers keep designing new ones we have something to try

My thinking this year is the outbound intermediate. It's typically a little heavier than most ratings (see Rio site) but only a couple feet shorter than most lines at 37.5 ft head, a lot longer than the blunt sinking lines like the 325gr QD for instance 10 ft shorter, but not the 40 of most common int clear lines.

BUT the outbound has a color change at the head and is ideal for flats fishing because you always know 'where you are'. When you need to reach out the shooting head style design and running line really makes it easy to cast for distance.

I used the 10wt all season last year on the two-hander. I think I will try the 8wt on my 9wt rod for flats fishing for precision (vs. distance) on the single-hander and see how it goes.

Airflo 'slime' lines have perenially been on the short list, and the 40+ two-hand line is killer in the 35ft length, color change and one of the best running lines you will ever fish in striper country! Low stretch, behaves like a faithful bird dog in the basket and shoots like mad with enough substance to grip and strip. And I see that the 40+ SW Intermediate uses the new running line (blue) fused to the clear head for 2006!

Another line I really like is the wulff monoclear, only thing I wish for is a color change. I have the bermuda triangle which has it, but it's a tropical line and i haven't really tried it on the northeast flats - I would expect it to be a bit stiff but I will give it a try. The triangle is a very nice taper to cast and a good flats line if only they made a cold water two-tone.

I am done with full clear lines, after fishing with the color change I can't see myself going back!

What are your intermediate line plans for the year?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 04-26-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Fly chucker

I plan to continue using the all clear Cortland 444 full intermediate with my 9 weight, and the 15 foot ghost tip Mastery line on my 8 weight. I like the ghost tip because I can mend well with the floating running line.

Your thoughts about the color change on the other brands is intriguing. I guess I'll see if they pass muster with you before I make a change.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 AM
LBFF Mojo

airflo 40+ striper clear intermediate. These is the same clear head and no stretch running line as the beach tamer line but just for single hand rods. My favorite single hand lines.

-sean
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM

Absolutely passed muster in the big gun class (two-handers) where the color change not only gives you the lock and load for flats reactions but also for repetitive blind casting in surf.

Using the 'slip and flip' method to start what I have been calling the "beach cast" the color change tells you how far to flip the head out on the initial switch move, as well as providing a sign of how far you can slip the head into the backcast before the power cast forward.

If there are no fish taking, I will only strip to the head and eliminate the slip/flip out (switch). If they are hitting to the shore I will strip the head into the guides and slip into the wave, then roll cast to the head change and make one backcast, followed by a forward blast.

Single hander flats has more to do with the old "fast pod 50ft right to left, all keepers" when you are not ready of course. The instant recognition of whether *(or not) you will have enough load to make the cast is priceless when split seconds are the difference between making or breaking the shot especially when the shots require distance and precision.

Or more importantly, the second and third shots to the trailing fish.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 AM

The best I have used is the Rio striper lumalux which does have a clear head and a "surf" colored running line. Behaves very well after a good stretch and has the slick welded loops at both ends. It also feels very true to the line weight which is important to me.

I like the Airflo Coldwater int but like the 444 even better.

Juro you could always mark your lines with a Sharpie or tie a trap nail-not on there so you know when it's time to let her rip.

Looking forward to busting them out this weekend!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Pencil me in.....

I will be using both the Airflo 40+ and the Rio Outbound Clear Head Intermediates this year. Had no problems with the Airflo all last year so it has found a permanent site on one of my reels. I am considering getting another Rio Outbound in a lighter line weight, but will probably wait a few weeks. I gave a SA wet tip clear a few hours this year and it is getting crossed of my list. I doesn't seem to provide that "punch" that other lines do in that genre, such as the Cortland Ghost tip.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 AM

Dave,

Looking forward to striper madness as well!

Unless I am doing it wrong Sharpies don't do a very good job on clear intermediates, and only a fair job on other lines. A nail knot is only useful to me in times of calm but when the action is hot an heavy I want a full color change.

Perhaps more important is how the line behaves - the Airflo running line is among the best in the biz, and the Outbound really lives up to it's name in terms of flight characteristics at 37.5 ft even when thrown to the backing.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:41 PM

I'm going to stick with my Airflo full clear Int. for the shallows.
That 40+ is spectacular, got a chance to cast it on Sean's vector 9wt and it's a great match.
Fishing from the boat I'm going to look at using a 12wt with 600-700 grain sinking heads to probe the depths for some larger fish, we'll see how it works out. I am going to try the Airflo running line as I love the way it handles and stays put on the deck, could be a tad thick for getting way down though, can't wait to find out.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:54 PM

I use the Airflo Clear Intermidate and like it a lot. The only problem I have found is that it has a tendency to curl up a bit after being stored durning the off season.
FishHawk
Old 04-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Frustrated English SWFF

For a clear intermediate i like the Rio Striper clear...Might get the Outbound intermediate this year for a trial run.
I got an Outbound floater in 9# last year and liked the way it cast , a bit heavy for the rating though my TFO 9# coped, but it was better suited to my 10# rod.

This year i got a 7# floater for my 8# TFO and i think it may be a little light ........but it has been a long winter and i might get used to it yet...but i still like the way it casts and the colour change does help , even though i thought that to be a gimmic before i bought it.

Dave
Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'm sticking with my Cortland 555 Little Tunny 8 wt. I don't have enough good things to say about the line!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:42 PM

RIO outbound

Used the Outbound 8wt intermediate for Coho last season and did find it a bit to heavy so I brought out the grain scale and weighed the belly. Label on package said the line should be 330 grains, it actuallly weighed 380 grains. Weight five other 8 wt lines from different manufacturers the bellies on those lines weighed 325 to 340 grains. A second outbound that I bought for my 6 wt seemed far to light it weighed in at 220grains exactly what was on the package, weighing four other lines from different manufacturers the bellies weighed 275 to 280 grains. I have sent emails to RIO and have talked to the distributer in my area and as yet have not received any real feedback.
I do like the Outbound intermediate line but before I buy anymore I will be taking my grain scale with me to the fly shop to make sure I get the correct line. From my experience I think that RIO had some problems with packaging but if the label weight is correct then the advertising saying the belly is slightly heavier than normal lines is incorrect.
Comparing the Outbound to the 40+ Airflo I find the correct weight Outbound casts further and turns over the fly with more authority.

Ian
Old 04-27-2006, 12:09 AM

NEW Airflo Coldwater

I Had the pleasure of getting a new airflo intermiediete.... It is the new version of the cold saltwater line. The line has been built on a no stretch monocore base, this was in response to the belly of the clear inter was proned to tangle. I have cast this line a few times and all initial reports are good. unfortunately the color is no longer clear, but, the suptle light blue will still be rather good if the castability ofthe line is improved. As a angler who fishes prodominently from shore, I am always psyched to find a line with a good casting line where the belly is not so proned to tangles! Ihave spent too much time unraveling hotday tangles in the belly of the line when there is fish to be caught. More to come once the summer time hits, and the hot water too.

Aaron
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 AM

Ian,

I have not played with the lighter weights but it seems the 8wt, 9wt and up seem to fall into the heavier than average category. I find the 9wt loads my 10wt nicely, which is why I am thinking the 8wt for my 9'ner. You have confirmed that for me with the 380 grain check, especially since the head is 38ft.

Sidenote: the 10wt overloads my 11ft 9/10w two-hander a tiny bit but in a good way (easy shots to the backing with and easy stroke) and it's the line I highly recommend because that's what two-hand casting is all about.

I would think that any of these great line companies would honor your request if the grains were not in line with the packaging, meaning they would probably exchange the 6 for a 7 most likely...
Old 04-27-2006, 08:12 AM

Juro...are you saying that the new cold salt Airflo 40+ 9wt. intermediate would overload a 9wt rod???? please clarify and or advise
Thanks,
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.