Season starts on the Cape - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2006, 09:33 PM

Season starts on the Cape

For those of you who don't get the Cape Cod Times, there was a nice front page picture of the first schoolies on fly in Chatham. No, Craig is not related to me, except for his passion to "fly"
Ed
http://www.capecodonline.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 10:19 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Wouldn't ya know- the guy is a patient of mine. I'll have to give him a "special exam" for beating me to the fish while I was stuck in the office.
Flydoc
P.S.- just kidding, he's really a prince of a guy. Does alot of great wildlife art.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Puma
I need to take a small break from the office...

Anyone suggest best couple of days in the month of May to fish in Chatham?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Flats Rat

That's easy - join us for Spring Clave You will pick up a lot of local knowledge that will set you up nicely for future visits.

It looks like the Schoolies have already arrived and larger fish are on the move.

The week-end following spring clave is Labor day and it can get a bit crazy (i.e. seriously crowded) but things tend to calm down again until July 4th.

The spring is a wonderful time of reawakening and transition. Fishing should be fairly consistent but remember it's a migration and fish that are here today are gone tommorow. There are a number of spots where fish congegate for extended periods at this time of year. As we move into the summer, things settle down but this brings different challenges i.e. it can be very tough (frustrating, aggravating, irritating etc...) but the rewards can be magical.

The fall brings another time of transition as the fish migrate South but again it can produce some of the biggest fish of the year.

The unfolding season after the winter "doldrums" is a wonderful thing. Everyone has their favorite times but for me, any couple of days between mid May and late October would be a good time to be in Chatham.

Now where did I put that lottery ticket
Old 04-26-2006, 08:55 PM

Schoolies

This past weekend picked up 5 on Sat PM, at the turn Lo to Hi, casting from shore high up into Waquoit Bay. Smallest, just bigger than fly (10") the other 4 were lo to mid 20's. Bright but no lice. Two of them had recent, but healed, substantial scale removal on their sides. Sunday AM, same general area, Hi to Lo turn got 2 more, mid 20's then the monsoons hit and went back to cottage. Mon AM tried out new (to me) rod, casting from beach by Popponesett Inn. Landed one very bright 20"er and lost a better one. Knew I should have retied the fly as the first had really inhaled it and I think second broke off just in front of fly. 7" herring fly. Monday water was very dirty and both hits were on the early strips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.