Long Island, Bahamas - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 PM

Long Island, Bahamas

I just got back from Deadmanís Cay on Long Island in the Bahamas fly fishing for bonefish with Dwayne Knowles while staying at Greenwich Creek lodge.
We had 5 days to find fish. The weather was not very cooperative. It blew hard day and night and was cloudy and occasionally rainy.
We managed to find fish, often spooking them as we got too close before spotting them. We managed several fish every day with plenty of shots.
Iíve only flats fished one other time in Key West where I didnít get a shot in 3 days of fishing. This was just a bit different.
We had fish chasing our flies with incredible abandon. I witnessed my partner make a cast that landed a foot behind a fish moving away from her. The fly hit the water and the fish spun and ate the fly just like a trout hitting a dry fly. They chased our flies as we stripped them in right up to the boat sometimes eating them and sometimes not. It was incredible. I stood in one spot for almost 3 hours on a flat and had fish continuously swim within casting range. I had numerous shots and occasionally got a fish hooked up. I had several refusals and missed shots due to poor casting.
Rookie mistakes included leaving the boat without flies and tippet. (Would you believe I did it twice? You would if you knew me!)
I read a few times that the fish were small on Long Island. Well, we caught several fish. The 2 smallest Iíd say were 3 lbs. They averaged 4 lbs and the largest were 6+. We saw fish to 10 but didnít get close to them.
Iím glad I spent several hours in the weeks prior to this trip practicing casting. I canít encourage this enough. Not only did it help with endurance but also accuracy and judgment. Despite significant wind at times I was happy with my casting. There were times that I needed to make long casts but most often they were no more than 30 ft and needed to land softly. Sometimes I was able to do this. Practice!
Thanks to all of you who post information on this board. It helped tremendously.
Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome report and welcome aboard Eric!

Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate but it sounds like you had some real success out there just the same. I can only imagine what you could have done with ideal conditions.

And it sounds like your fishing buddy is a lady too - you are living right my friend. How were the accomodations for her? Many of us are thinking of a 'couples' clave.

thanks
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Flats Rat

Great report Eric, thanks for sharing

Early season in the Bahamas can be "iffy" on the weather front but the cooler water on the flats seems to attract the bigger bonefish. Some of the biggest bones of the year are caught during the colder months.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Juro,
The lodge was quite nice and about 6 years old. It is 2 seperate 2 story buildings. on the bottom floor of one is the dining room, kitchen and bar. above that are four rooms, 2 of them on the water. our rooms were clean and bright. there were 2 f/q beds in each, dresser, small table with chairs and a full bath. the other building has 4 rooms on each floor, 4 on the water. There is a balcony/wrap around porch on each floor allowing for outside sitting/viewing. The food was good. our package included 3 meals a day so we didn't sample any of the local spots. the dining area has a tv/vcr/dvd with cable so you can stay in touch with the outside world if you desire. no broadband internet connection. didn't try dial up. it has a nice pool in the back.
my wife (didn't go) is into dogs (agility) i tried to get her into flyfishing but it didn't last long. my fishing partner is a friend who gets to fish 100+ days a year.
here is a link to some of the pictures http://www.cardigan-corgis.com/Eric%20in%20Bahamas.htm
it can be booked through bucaneer travel but we found out a better deal can be scored booking direct with the lodge. Dwyane and Samantha Knowles bonefishdwayne@msn.com lodge number is 242.337.6278
Eric

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.