Big fish of the year - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 10:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Big fish of the year

Well, I tried out my second favorite local fishing hole for the second time this year, though the first time was a minimal trip at best. The first fish of the day was the one that got away. She was a monster bass and the only glimpse I got of her was her side as she surfaced after hitting my minnow imitation, then promptly threw it and disappeared. I switched to something different figuring that I'd only hooked her for a second and she might hit again, but she wasn't having it.

I kept fishing around the lake and got about 6 small bass in the 12" range, then was drifting through the same area again in the float tube where I lost the cow when I got another big thump on the minnow imitation. It hit at the start of the retrieve when I had a good amount of line out so I had a good fight on my hands. I could tell it was a big one again, especially after a spectacular jump not very far into the fight. It was timed perfectly for the guy on the bank to see it too and he gave a big hoot and a wave. Not too long after I brought to hand a bass that went a solid 19" and probably weighed about 4 lbs.

I started out last year around this time with a 5.5 lb fish and I was hoping to top the 6 lb mark this year, but if this is my big bass of the year, I'll take a 4 lb'er.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 PM

Very cool Scott,

What fly did you get it on?

Charlie.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:17 PM

I got her on a fly of my own design, not sure exactly what to call it. It's basically a shallow running bucktail design in white and grey with some flash. It's almost a diver but I trim the head down far enough that it has neutral or very slightly positive buoyancy.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:48 AM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
. . . I brought to hand a bass that went a solid 19" and probably weighed about 4 lbs. . . .
Nice! I tried one of my favorite early season bass spots on Thursday evening. I saw several bass, up to a couple of pounds or so, but couldn't get them to hit anything I showed them. They would follow and look at the flies, and sometimes even "sniff" at them, but wouldn't quite eat. Because of the brush along the shore I had to get very close to the fish to get the fly to them, so I'm not sure if they were just spooked or my leader was too heavy or I didn't show them the right fly. It was still nice to see some bass in the shallows.

Q
Old 04-24-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
It was still nice to see some bass in the shallows.
I still haven't really seen many bass in the shallows, they tend to hang a bit deeper. I don't know what the water temps are at my local holes but they seem to be a few degrees below spawning temps still.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.