2006 Cherry Blossom Update - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

2006 Cherry Blossom Update

Well the Magnolias and Apples have done their deed, and as usual the cultured weeping cherries have started to bloom but the old cherry trees are holding out still although they look like they are about to burst.

With surface water temps warming but still cool it might be an off year for the cherry blossom indicator, but who knows they have been surprisingly accurate.

Either way when they pop I will be looking for the big girls (herring eaters) on the south side and migrants on the outer beaches. Won't be long now!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Fishing the Cape's website is reporting schoolies filling up The Tub. I'm planning on heading to the Refuge over the weekend with the Atlantis...will post pics...
Flydoc
Old 04-21-2006, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Puma
Do you believe it's worth taking a trip down to Chatham this weekend from central MA? I'm thinking about bringing my g/f and want her to catch fish. If she travels down there with me and we don't see anything then there will be hell to pay for me.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Flats Rat

Chris, Bro, all you 'gotta do is to take her to the Cape for a nice Candle lit dinner. Christians in Chatham is very nice, especially this time of year.

During the day, you plan a romantic walk along the Chatham sands (South, it must be South) and, of course, you take your flyrod on the off-chance there might be something"magical" happening that your Girlfriend would enjoy.......

It's really all about positioning - a.k.a. "sales and marketing"
Old 04-21-2006, 02:13 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Puma- I'd wait for my report- hope to get over there before the sun goes down tonight to try the waters. Fishing the Cape's site did report schoolies, but no mention of keepers. Has been a bit cooler the last couple of days, so we will see. I should have a report posted by 9 PM at the latest.
Flydoc
Old 04-21-2006, 02:44 PM

If they did come in, which I believe then the cooler it gets the more they will stay there.

Go at low tide, and fish to the left (east) of the bar that divides the basin from Outermost Harbor, or else go inside outermost and hit the terminus of the cove at high.

Better yet try the basin at the Dennis Yacht club at Bass River, park at the rotary and walk just west until it opens up just past the boat docks. There will be more fish there, but it's very mucky and you won't want to bring the girlfriend.

Adrian has the best solution
Old 04-21-2006, 06:46 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Fished the beach at the foot of the refuge steps (ie Rip Ryder pick up spot) for nearly two hours before sunset- windy, cool, and incoming (nearly high) tide- no luck. Will try either the other side of the basin (per Juro's rec) or the mouth of the Bass River in the morning. Wind is supposed to be brisk and from the east, so will want the wind at my back.
Flydoc
Old 04-22-2006, 07:14 AM

Base of the steps is a transitional area, in other words the fish don't hang there unless there is bait there. The tide you got would have been good in a month but the odds are in favor of accumulating fish over the warmest dark bottomed areas or fish traps like the top of the tub, which is also warmer. You should see early bait there and at the rotary at West Dennis Beach by now. Mid day lows this weekend.

Waitin' on the big girls
Old 04-22-2006, 10:43 AM

Schoolies in Oyster Pond Chatham

Some of the hold overs are feeding off the beach at Oyster Pond. Saw a couple of the local fly guides working in there this morning 4/22. I heard the tub is also starting to fill in with the twinkies. I watched some guys working the jetties at Red River yesterday, bud didn't see any hook ups.
This NE wind is not helping in the water warming process at all. Hard pressed to get into the mid 50s for air temp this past week.

Last I heard the southway dredged itself open a bit more than a month ago. Might actually have water over the bar there 2 hours before high now. Could change once we start getting the SW wind. Long tail of sand hanging of the tip of South beach just waiting to be blown into the enterance. Hoping to get out mid week and do the moorings. I will stick my nose down there and see whats happening. Keep you posted.

Capt. Keith
Old 04-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Pencil me in.....

Non Fish report

FishHawk and I were out and about this morning (Sat) and found the fishing a lot tougher than Wednesday...when you see the sprinklers working the bogs at the Middleside in the morning it is best to just say it had been a cold night and head for the nearest restaurant to have breakfast NE wind doesn't seem to be helping either.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:55 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

No luck again today. Back to the trout ponds until it warms up some more.
Flydoc
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 AM

It's all about the wind and temperature. Saltwater flyfishing is a lot like deer hunting, a lot of scouting before you hit the jackpot. The skunk stinks even more with the current gas prices. My next car will most certainly be a Toyota Hybrid.
FishHawk
Old 04-25-2006, 09:23 PM

Thumbs up squid and some medium size girls

I found a couple of mid 30 inch size striped girls on the incoming of a Falmouth salt pond predawn this morning,cream and amber shaded squid flies with orange and yellow krystal flash,roughly 10 inches in length.Felt great to feel the tug of resistance again.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Hmmmm...

that got the wheels turning! Won't be long before I get some breathing room and will head down to the far side meeself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.