best 6-7wt. reel in this price range? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 PM

best 6-7wt. reel in this price range?

for my 6 weight, maybe with a 7 weight

uses: mainly for bigger alaskan trout, but maybe for smaller steelhead and bones

my ideas:
ross rythym 3 or 3.5
lamson velocity 2 or 3
ross evolution 3

ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I would hold off on the bones... the WW reels have proven to have serious vulnerability to saltwater use. Although they have recently awakened on this issue I would hold off to see if the fix is going to work.

Freshwater use should be ok but I would probably still remove the spools between uses to prevent locked in moisture from eating the spindles and mating hardware.

Have you looked at the Danielsson 6/nine for this application? I am thoroughly satisfied with mine and recommend it highly.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

i would also take a look at bauer jm and the old florida reels for those price points. all of the lamson reels #3 and up now have stainless clutches to combat the saltwater issues, this happened last season so anything new now likely has the ss parts. lamson, bauer, old florida and danielson all overshadow ross's build quality, compare them side by side in hand.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:53 AM

Good call Nick, my bauers have been flawless and are lightweight as well as smooooth. Good looking too.

I like the Ross reels overall but for saltwater the BG series has a problem with corrosion within the chamber inside the drag adjustment which makes it impossible to reduce the drag beyond a certain point (relative to the amount of corrosion). It will not stop you from landing a fish but if you swab a qtip with oil on it into the chamber it will come up rusty red and there is no way for owners to service that. They know about it, I've had a long discussion with them as have others here. It's still a usable reel and I have not sent mine in yet although I should.

I hope the changes on the WW reels make them what we all hoped - machined reel w/ super smooth drag, lightweight large arbor at a working man's price.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM

Tibor Light Backcountry would be perfect for that setup. I put 35#GSP on mine and it fit a 7wt bonefish line nicely. Plenty of smooth drag and few parts to corrode.

I will also put in a vote for Bauer - but I would spend a little more for the McKenzie Superlite.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:55 AM

bauer reels

the bauer mckenzie SL seems like a great reel, but is the spool side drag knob a problem? I often tighten the drag while the fish is running, but if the drag were spool side you risk getting your fingers knocked off when you adjust the drag. the bauer xtreme has the traditional frame side drag, but is much more expensive. Anyone have a problem with this on their bauer SL?

i think the ross evolution 3 fits my situation the best. A lightweight big trout, and occasional light steelhead/bonefish reel (I have a ross BG4 on my 8wt that is for the big fish). the ross doesn't have the saltwater problems that the WW reels have had either. thanks for the advice all!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM

The SL does have the drag on the spool side but you can easily adjust the drag with one finger while the fish is running. I have used mine on Albies, big Bass, Bonefish and Permit and it has always performed flawlessly. I'm not a beleiver in fiddling around with your drag while fighting a fish anyway. More importantly the drag is smooth reliable cork and the reel is very easy to maintain.

The Ross evolution IMHO is not an appropriate SW reel and even the BG's have a reputation for corroding in the SW. Check the archives of this forum and you will see what I mean.

I would definitely not consider Lamson/WW if you are doing any serious amount of saltwater fishing.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Nick Pionessa OOFS

since we seem to be blowing the budget anyway look at the Bauer MZ. it has the same clutches and drag as the rest but in a sealed cartridge. it also has the drag knob on the back of the reel.
Big Dave- i couldn't agree more about the ross, nice enough reels but compared side by side they are not in the same class.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:47 AM

at the risk of being called a Danielsson bigot the 6/nine comes in at like $295 and is heads and shoulder above anything else in this price range

Of course there are many great reels on the market and I want to own many different brands but I can't say enough about my evotecs.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to baldmountain
If your budget is in the $300 range why not buy 2 Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor reels?

I have trouble understanding why people spend so much on reels. I have to admit I don't do much saltwater fly fishing but I see enough pictures of saltwater guides with big fish and reels like the the Orvis Mid-Arbor. These guys fish all the time so you'd assume they would choose something that works?

http://www.nfaa-archery.org <-----<< My other passion.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:24 AM

Are you looking in the Orvis catalog

(I hope for a better reel when I pay a guide to tell the truth)
Old 04-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Hi Geoff -

From my perspective, I think of a reel as an investment that is worthy of some cash outlay - depending on purpose.

For instance, someday I want a reel to put into a wooden box where the leather pouch took more effort to sew than some cheap reels took to slap together in an assembly line. I don't have that now, but I can see it. How out there is that?

For providing to my clients, I want them to think "nice reel I've heard of these" instead of "hmmm my reel is better". But I don't have $1000 or more to spend on the reels (plural) I need to buy for clients use. Now no matter what I buy they might have a better reel, they might even fish with the reel in the wooden box for all I know.

For myself, I prefer the balance of price / performance where the design, durability, aesthetics and reliability meets or exceeds the price. You can see where I am going with this, it's a simple fact.

And yes, saltwater is the proving ground as are large fish like salmon, stripers, tarpon - or very fast fish like bonefish, inshore tuna, etc. I agree for freshwater fishing one does not need to spend a lot of money, and there are many great reels for $100-200 out there for streams and ponds.

(BTW we are starting to plan out the Forum Nor'easter Spey Clave if you are interested)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmountain
I have trouble understanding why people spend so much on reels. I have to admit I don't do much saltwater fly fishing but I see enough pictures of saltwater guides with big fish and reels like the the Orvis Mid-Arbor. These guys fish all the time so you'd assume they would choose something that works?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Pencil me in.....

I use a Tibor Back Country Wide on a six weight for the salt . It has been a great performer..However, now that I am also a Danielsson owner for a ten weight, I would opt for the Danielsson if I made the choice today.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:46 AM

JF -

How is the backcountry drag when wet? I heard it freespools.

I have a bunch of old Lamson LP's that if I fit with a bigger caliper would still be the meat-and-potatoes battle axe reel of the century but with that microscopic pad (despite a full disc) they freespool when wet.

I love my Danielsson reels too (as you know).
Old 04-07-2006, 08:48 AM
President of CAC

Not to give you sticker shock...but you can not beat an Abel.... and if you go on e-bay they are have great sales on certain models in the range you are looking at and, even in a tight bidding atleast 50% off the retail which puts them at or below some of these other real prices.... these are all New unused reels, with warrentiees... Never had any issues on drag with those....JMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.