Dry Fly Salmon - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 06:12 AM

Question Dry Fly Salmon

I need a new rod for Salmon this year and I was wondering what rod and line combo most people are using to get them on dry flies.
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 AM

I think people will need to know where you plan to use it. I use everything from a 7 weight to a 9 weight depending upon whether I'm throwing a #6 White Wulff on the Little Southwest Miramichi or a bomber the size of a sparrow on the Grand Cascapedia. Nine foot to ten foot rods in those line weights seem to work. Mine are Thomas & Thomas, but anything not abnormally stiff will do fine. Dry fly work is about the only place I don't use a double-handed rod these days, except for waters best classified as creeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
Ben- The Sage SLT is my favorite rod for atlantic salmon mainly because i love to fish dries. I have 3 890s and 1 790. This rod is much more sensitive than almost any other rod i have tried and still has enough back bone to fight a large fish.
I use rio lines because they are what we have in the fly shop. I also like the sage performance taper.
good luck.
david
Old 04-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I like a 9'6" progressive non-stiff / non-soft 8wt for this task. You don't want anything too stiff because presentation is most important and you want to get the line energized without having to whack it. There are many good choices out there for this config. Mine is an RPL.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-20-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR SPEY
I think people will need to know where you plan to use it. I use everything from a 7 weight to a 9 weight depending upon whether I'm throwing a #6 White Wulff on the Little Southwest Miramichi or a bomber the size of a sparrow on the Grand Cascapedia. Nine foot to ten foot rods in those line weights seem to work. Mine are Thomas & Thomas, but anything not abnormally stiff will do fine. Dry fly work is about the only place I don't use a double-handed rod these days, except for waters best classified as creeks.
You should get Rio's modern spey casting dvd, and see him show you how to dry fly with a 2 hander. Nothing really special, just interesting to see him false casting sideways to dry out the fly then do a snake roll.

I am wondering how do you catch a salmon on a dry? I knew you could catch a atlantic salmon, but a pacific salmon? And certainly not on the american or rogue etc??????
Old 04-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Atlantic Salmon Guide

Thumbs up Atlantic salmon gear for dries...the pin-ultimate

Hi Ben;

I know little about what size rivers or conditions you are tackling atlantic with dries in but here's a few thoughts...

Unless you are a casting champion in regards to shooting dries, dry flying them requires a lot of false casts while changing direction and getting the fly out to the correct drift line....sometimes long ones.

You want the fly drag free drifted between the fished eyes for maximum number and quality of hook-ups. Sure you'll catch them skating a dry, but you'll have to trust me (and I catch nearly all my Atlantics on dries); you need to dead drift the fly once it is in line with the fish.

Big dries or long casts require heavy weight forward lines for distance even though you'll likely be casting in little or no wind. Little dries or short casts can be used effectively using lighter WF lines.

I use a very fast action 9.5 or 10 foot - even in a boat. This is because on short to medium length casts (40 up to 70 feet) I use an underhand/sidearm/crescent shaped swing on the rod on the forward cast to give the fly a gentle parachute landing. Its a short snapped swing type cast and the long fast rod helps with the power needed, mending to keep it dead float, and setting the hook fast enough on grilse...all key when dry flying atlantics.

Just some thoughts

Cheers, from a Newfie Bomber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.