best hook style for tarpon (flies not bait) - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

best hook style for tarpon (flies not bait)

I've read that some linelining captains have gone to circle hooks for giant tarpon. I don't think that fly anglers will have the same opportunities to let the fish take the bait deep and pull it past the lips as a circle hook requires.

My experience is that you try to get as many hookups as possible and if you get lucky the hook will find a soft spot in that prehistoric bone maw.

Has anyone unlocked any secrets to fly hook designs that lead to a higher percentage of landed tarpon? Or is the hook design a constant with other factors like hook setting technique being the deciding factors?

I am interested in your opinions.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 04:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
I donŽt know of my info might be handy, it is not the type of hook youŽd be expecting, but there is a dutchman who developped a hook for fishing on pike that looks like the ideal tarponhook to me.
The hook is called:
Partridge Ad Swier Absolute Pike Hook (google on it)
Not having much experience with tarpon, but knowing a lot of the sea and beeing very interested in tarpon (and other tropical fishing) because of my folks still living back home, in Aruba i would suggest youŽd try these hooks.

Last fall it resulted in less misses on pike for me, especially the big hooks, I now use 8/0 and even hook pike (looks like musky) of 40cm with it. 8/0 of the regular hooks.
The advantages are it is very sharp and has a wide curve (is that how you call the bend in the hook), there is no barb on it so it really penetrates easily and deeper into even the thougher harder jaws and mouths of fish. it is allready known that there have been people experimenting the smaller versions on permit and bones and the rumour has it the results are very good.
the regular ones are the Ad Swier Pike Hook and they even come up to 8/0

maybe you can find some pictures of these hooks on the net, if you can not get them in the us, we can in holland and I could help you getting them. Look at pictures of them and I think youŽll see what I see in them.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM

Not sure if I see how they apply to tarpon mouths... but here is the picture... tell me more!

Old 04-09-2006, 04:42 PM
LBFF Mojo

Thanks for sharing that hook. I can see lots of salty uses for it around here.

-sean
Old 04-09-2006, 04:42 PM
In moderation

In my experience the best tarpon hooks are Tiemco 600SP. They are a sort of circle hook.

Pete
Old 04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
I don't suppose that...

the Signature Series "Tarpon" by Mustad might be a contender?!

sharp/strong/durable
Old 04-09-2006, 04:46 PM

Maybe... here it is...

Mustad Signature Series "Tarpon"

Doesn't look too different from anything I had on the other day. Also if it's the popular hook, and conventional wisdom is to hook a lot of fish to keep one on the line, then there might be more discussion worth having on the topic.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar
In my experience the best tarpon hooks are Tiemco 600SP. They are a sort of circle hook.

Pete

Pete -

That looks like a very good hook... but hardly a circle hook:

TMC 600sp
Old 04-09-2006, 04:51 PM
LBFF Mojo

Juro were you fishing barbless?

I know for giants in the keys most of the guides I talked with fish with a barb on the hook. Reason from the guide I fished with was with those mouths you need all the help you can get to stay hooked up and since the mouths are so boney minimal damage is incurred as opposed to barbs and softer mouthed species.

I have a bunch of those signature tarpon hooks (acutally use them for the deep eel) if you want to use some for testing. Also fish the 600sp alot and it comes the closest to a circle in the conventional hooks you will find. Expensive but has a low profile cutting point on it and really holds well.

-sean

Last edited by sean; 04-09-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:58 PM

As always, I started out barbless... I went for my winter creeper as a shrimp fly which are used for PNW native steelhead and always barbless. But as I approached the 11th jumped fish (and twice that many fish hitting the fly) I was digging for anything with a barb on it in my flybox!

I think the main thing (with conventional hooks) is to get the point into a soft spot somehow. This is not typical for me to say but since the acrobatics are so ridiculous with these fish I have to agree that a barbed hook is the way to go.

In the skull shot I posted the largest spots were in the corner of the mouth under that HONKIN upper mandible. Webstain's comments about the pause reminded me of the centuries old greased line method of letting the salmon hook itself in the corner of the mouth. It's very good advice.

However I actually did try that in St.Kitts and just as often as a solid hookup would result the fish would spit before the fly could corner itself. I need to increase the sample size to get a better scientific picture of this

It's a research project dear
Old 04-09-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar

Pete
Hey Pete what other hooks have you tried? I know a coupla guys that use the 600SP that like them a lot but curious as to how the compare to some of the others like Owner and Gamakatsu.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 AM

From what I've read on some other sites the Owner aki seems to be the hook of choice, at least for the big boys. It's not sharpened to a needle point but more of a knife edge. The point won't roll as easily and it's supposed to be a very strong hook. It looks very similar in shape to the 600sp.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:00 AM

amost like Guinness . . .

Gamakatsu SC-15's lead the pack, in my opinion, for all hard-jawed fish - including the King. 1/0 for babies (under 40 #s), 2/0 for big fish, and probably 3/0 for Homosassa. They come in extra-strong models, too. It's like every time a new stout hits the market - I always hear bartenders say " Really good . . . almost like Guinness." which kinda says something. But the TMC 600SP looks really good, too . . . probably almost like an SC-15
Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Thanks Alan -

Yeah they look SWEET!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2006, 07:19 PM

The captain I fish with uses the Gammi SC-15 2/0 (NOT the heavy duty one shown in th pick). We fish oceanside (super clar water) and I think that it is important for the fly to land softly, sink slowly (usually) and the thin gauge really seems to penitrait. It is unbelievable how strong thos hooks are. I've straightened out only a couple (we have landed fish up to 130#). The point does roll at times, so we check it on every bite. What an amazing hook!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.