Andros cancer rates - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 07:32 AM

Andros cancer rates

This link: http://www.jonesbahamas.com/?c=128&a=8413 points to an increased cancer rate on Andros island. I've been hearing 'anecdotal evidence' of this for years. Has anyone else seen any credible info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 05:21 PM
resigned

I'm not sure of her email addy but Donna McQueen has an office in the Ministry Building on Fresh Creek near Lighthouse. She expressed some concern a good seven years ago when I asked her about the health of Androsians in that area. Cancer rates where on the up and up and no one could understand why? The strandings have been happening off the coast of Washington State during ship to shore battleship sonar tests as evidenced by news reports I read while there in March of 2005.

Phil
Old 04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The recent multi-species stranding during a naval sonar test exercise in South Carolina seems to make the correlation of other strandings to sonar tests stronger. Multi-species strandings are rare and had to be from some influence that did not have to do with pod disorientation, disease etc.

The site is designated for a 660 sq mile sonar naval exercise area for training purposes. I have a gut feeling the sonar is in fact to blame for many, if not most whale strandings.

Can you imagine being that tuned into the subtle sounds of the sea and experiencing the ping of a nuclear submarine? Yikes. Tough one, we need stealth under the sea but I wonder if there is an opportunity to develop newer technologies to serve this role.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-17-2006, 06:15 PM
llewellyn

Andros cancer rates

The association of undewater testing and whale death is a well known fact, some years ago pathologists discovered massive damage to the auditory apparatus and other neural tissue of whales following an underwater test of some kind. This topic was also on another web site that I follow but was removed following the comments of one of its members. The jist of the message was that the American sailors were at war and that they were justified in practicing where-ever they wanted and it seemed at any cost. Thankfully a retired marine officer corrected the members opinion, before the thread was removed.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:20 PM

I think there's little doubt that Navy sonar is lethal to marine mammals in its' proximity. Unfortunately, it's the only way we know of keeping an aircraft carrier 'safe' when we send one to some potentially nasty, remote place on the globe. I do wish there was another technology to do that, I really do.
But the thing that got me is the increased incidence of cancer amongst the inhyabitants for Andros, and wondering whether the AUTEC base migght have something to do with it.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM

Collateral Damage: whales, civil rights, the environment, Pat Tillman, Bahamians...
Old 04-18-2006, 06:11 AM
llewellyn

Andros cancer rates

"War, what is it good for, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING" to quote a famous song, and unfortunately the innocent inhabitants of Andros are "collateral damage"? The research that is going on at Autec is obviously classified and nothing will be admitted. The research obviously will involve wave forms of all sorts, sound and others. In the cold war microwaves were aimed at targets to induce lymphoid tumors, it would be epidemiologically interesting to classify the neoplasia that is occuring to see if there is a clustering of a specific type. This would then possibly indicate an environmental source, another possibility is the deliberate use of something on a small population of "insignificant fisherman", unfortunately we will never know.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:12 AM

Unfortunately, there are many by-products of our current saber-rattling policy. I'm afraid we'll be sorting them out for decades to come.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:43 AM

Well, after a bit of asking around on tghe island and a 1/2 day visit to the health center in Fresh Creek, it would appear that the 'cancer' referred to is primarily in fact HIV/AIDS, which is at epidemic levels on Andros. While I'm no medical expert, it would seem a stretch to plame that on the AUTEC base.
I can certainly understand how a population confonted with such a diffivcult problem would want to find someone to blame.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:03 AM

I found another source of the AUTEC ancer rumor: Some time after 911, an alert AUTEC base commander noted that, in principle, Al Quaeda could come out of the ocean, put poison in the base marina ice machine, and disappear again. So, not to be negligent, they put up signs that ice in ice machines is not safe for human consumption. To be extra-safe, they put up these signs on all base ice machines. While most Americans shrugged this off, some Bahamians employed on the base somehow though the base water plant would be a much more plausible source of poison in the ice, and thet got to believe that the water plant is putting poison in the water supply. Cancer-causing poison, no less.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.