SAND WALKERS - boot foot wader question... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

SAND WALKERS - boot foot wader question...

I have a fairly new pair of simms guide waders but am considering investing in another pair of high end goretex BOOT foot this striper season. I have a very good system for sand prevention in the boot but am starting to think that having a pair of stocking waders dedicated to sweetwater would be nice, and so would not putting on gaitors.

However I am concerned that the boots are designed for sweetwater and either have felt or frankenstein feet not suitable for sand walking.

I will walk over 10 miles in a day on hot sand, and when I last shopped around I didn't find anything suitable for death marches on the beach.

Has anything new developed? Are boot foot waders available now that can compare to the beach ninja feet I have over the stocking feet waders?

Thanks in advance for your testimonials and no direct links to non-sponsors please.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Middle Aged Member

I had the lace up orvis bootfoot for four or five years. First pair lasted into the fourth season before they started leaking in the crotch. Orvis replaced with a pair of "value engineered" waders of the same model. Leaked around the boot attachment almost immediately. I asked for my money back or a gift cert and got the gift cert. Threw in another $115 and got the new Tailwaters. After one season I'm impressed. Nice integrated wading shoe and the waders have some features like the beefed up knees and seat and the conversion to waist highs. They look rugged, maybe a bit heavy. We shall see.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:59 PM

I got a pair of Proline waders from Goose Hummock . Cleats not felt. Had to return them after of year because of cracking in the boot. However, got a new pair at no charge. I'm happy with them . They are not at all a high end Boot. One thing to consider, is to have a custom made pair of boots to your inseam when you do find the right boot. Goose Hummock told me that it was their best selling waders, so I took a chance on them and they work for me.

LL Bean West Branch Integrated Boot-Foot Waders, Aqua Stealth sole . Juro I think this would work better. Disclaimer. I do not own these but they will be my next pair of bootfoot waders.
You know how good Bean is on returns. I don't think you could go wrong with these. Hope this helps. FishHawk

Last edited by FishHawk; 04-15-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:31 PM

Juro.....I know of the desires and problems that you talk about...I'm not sure that there is a perfect solution. But here is my experience and adaptations:
1. Boot foot....can't beat for no sand in the boots and ease of putting them on....but, after 2 years on walking multiple miles of SB per time....the boot cracked repeatedly on the top above the base joints of the toes. I really don't believe that any boot foot will stand up to the constant walking most of us do....plus, you really don't get the right foot support which makes one tire easier...I got rid of them;
2. I have avoided the integrated boot/waders because of what has already been reported...leaks where the sock attaches to the boot....I've heard many complaints.
3. Next pair were LLBean West Branch Stocking Foot Waders....loved them and the fit, as well as integrated belt and front pocket......multiple sizes, not just S/M/L/XL as well as multiple foot size options.....2 years ago I paired them with a light weight Patagonia boot, which is incredible and durable....those, I'm totally pleased with and would buy again....light, but great arch and side support and very well padded on the tongue and around the ankle, durable...great boots but pricy but comfy! The waders lasted 2 seasons until I developed frequent leaks in the neoprene sock part....that wasn't due to poor quality, it was due to high mileage ...wear and tear of neoprene rubbing on the inside of the boot when walking long distances frequentlly as you do as well. So...I returned the waders to LL Bean and they gladly gave me a replacement pair for no cost.
Adaptation....What I decided to do was to realize and accept that waders of any brand are not designed to walk 6 to 10 miles per outing and to compensate Ive purchaced a pair of fleece lined neoprene socks to put over my stocking foot to protect it. I got the fleece lined ones for ease of putting them on (neoprene on neoprene is not a good idea....tried various sizes till I could do it without getting a hernia :-) I really think that this last one is the best route to go......of course, I will have to get to the lot 10 earlier to be able to put on my extra sock so as not to miss the shuttle
Ron
PS: Juro, I inquired about the goretex waders....but LL's waders have a goretex foot...the saleperson said that in no way would that sock, with it's lack of structure, hold up to the type of walking I do......how's that for honesty, given that they were 100 bucks more......that's why I will return!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Flats Rat

I had a similar experience to Fred and now wear the same tailwater brand. A few more weeks and we'll see how they hold up to the South Beach death march.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

Tailwater shoes look like a good option... far from the conventional frankenstein boot.

However I am not a big fan of the bib design having owned one and why the stark contrast in color from the wader to the shoe? Not my favorite look on a flat... who cares about people, I mean that's what the fish see.

Fishhawk -

I've never seen a breathable Proline - something new? Last I heard the Goose was flying the coop on flyfishing stuff... any updates? (might save me a drive this spring)
Old 04-15-2006, 10:55 PM

Ron -

Do you find the addition of the lined neoprene sock adds to the heating up of the feet on warm days?

The ultimate feet for warm weather waders is the OS Systems rubber sock. It is sooo comfortable and durable as could be. Unfortunately their waders don't breathe.

Since the feet leak on my oldest goretex I just might try to bond the two together - the OS Systems feet are available separately.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:15 AM

Juro they have them just give them a call . They cater more to the surf fishermen. At least they had them last year. FishHawk
Old 04-16-2006, 07:41 AM

Fishhawk -

I appreciate the reply, however does your lug boot look like this? This is the only photo of the bootfoot I could find. Also found out it's insulated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bootfoot.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	5663  
Old 04-16-2006, 08:53 AM

Juro.....I'm sure that the extra layer of neoprene will result in hotter feet...but not when in the water. The other option is to reinforce with the tape (patch repair stuff) all the seams on the stocking foot....it was the seams that began to part and leak...not the neoprene stocking...if you do this option, I would also reinforce the back of the heal. It's not sand that did in my socks, it was the rubbing of the inside of the shoe on the seams. I also wear a quickdry thin sock which takes away the moisture from the feet. Hot, but dry.
Ron
PS: if you find something better, please share!
Old 04-16-2006, 04:14 PM
LBFF Mojo

Dude I told you what to do

Get the simms travel waders and a pair of the Bite Primal Flats Shoe. The waders have a fabric bootie so they are not hot and you do not need to upsize the shoe to fit the neoprene booties in them.

The waders fit in a small stuff sack so you can slip them off and do the death march down south beach and then put them back on once you get to the point where you are going to start fishing.

The waders are about $125 and you can pick up the boots for ~$80. Pretty cheap and I really liked how it worked out for me last year.

-sean
Old 04-16-2006, 08:25 PM

My stocking foot solution is pretty good already, and I am looking for a boot foot option - but I like the stuff sack idea. How do you dry and clean off to get into them? Bring a towel too?

For stocking foots, my boots are a unique thin neoprene slipover boot with a sneaker sole and tightening straps, they rarely come off my stocking foots except for an occasional cleaning sometimes weeks apart. I call them my ninja boots, hard to find no longer available but the two pairs I have won't last forever.

BUT because I am wearing the simms guide wader the shoes are upsized, so wearing them without the waders is not a good option to your point - the goretex feet would allow me to choose shoes the actual size as you say. It would be nice to have the same size boot with/without.

This is why I am going to contact OS systems to buy their latex "sock" which are the feet for their dry suits and travel wader.

I have tried goretex feet waders before and they leaked really bad in the feet. I trust Simms though and think I will give your approach a try if I can not find a good bootfoot option.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Sean -

I just looked up the waders, the nylon fabric stocking feet sound pretty solid. Not going to give up on the search for the ease of boot foot just yet but if I don't succeed I will definitely go with these - good find!

Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

However I am not a big fan of the bib design having owned one and why the stark contrast in color from the wader to the shoe?
My guess is its to emphasize that these are more like separate
boots than integrated boot foots.

I bought a pair of these last spring, before hitting the Cape. I
have some arthritis so I have problems if my feet/ankles don't
have good support. These seem to, tho I walk only a fraction
of the distance you do: my longest was on the order of 6 miles
last year.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:00 AM

Juro the boot foot does look like that . The boots are not insulated that much. The search continues. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.