SA clear intermediate striper line. - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2000, 11:53 AM

SA clear intermediate striper line.

I got the SA clear intermediate striper line in june this summer and i've fished it reasonably hard. I always fish with a stripping basket, mostly from shore.

I was on MV this weekend chasing tuniods and the coating on the running line started to crack and seperate from the core. this made stripping painful on the fingers and shooting line nearly impossible. I ended up replacing the line with a Rio clear intermediate, which i like, but we'll have to see how it holds up. Has anyone else had this problem with the SA line? I don't stretch my line, so that's not the problem either.

I'm just happy that i bought the SA line at LL Bean, it's worth the extra cash in situations like this.

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2000, 04:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:SA clear intermediate striper line.

Matt -

Not what you needed when there are tunoids around... zzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz OW!

Bean's always been good to customers.

I've had great luck with the 444 clear intermediate and it takes a nail knot perfectly well. I beat the snot out of it and it's been great.

The Rio non-clear intermediate striper line is kinda-semi-clear-ish but very stealthy and a good line. I got a prototype before they released it, fished it for stripers on the east coast and coho salmon on the west. My friend Brian fishes it for salter salmon out there, in fact this time of year. Jeff Roop told me he likes it too, claiming "it's ribbed for my fishing pleasure".

The line has a slight (very slight) ribbed texture that gives it a lot of substance in the hands when stripping line, etc.

The Rio clear is another good line. I also fish the new Deep Sea, which although it doesn't have the no-brianer easy cast feel of a 444 QD, I am confident that the joint between running line and head will not disintegrate in a few months. It's caught a ton of big fish this season and I think if they figure out the taper and grain distribution a little better it will be best choice for the sinking head type lines.
Old 10-02-2000, 05:07 PM

I also use S/A intermediate clear line, I had one crack also. I sent it back, they replaced it with a clear intermediate, but a cold water line. I also use a Cortland 444 cameo which I realluy like. If I get a year out of a line I am happy.
Old 10-10-2000, 01:58 PM

After having fished it hard for afull season now, i can officially fully endorse the Airflo coldwater clear intermediate--worked great in hot and cold water and weather, tangle free, requires no stretching, and is one of the nicest casting lines I have thrown. Too bad I have to fish lead core lines 70% of the time, because I have come to love this line...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.