Fly Fishing Forum banner

clear int. lines

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking about getting a clear line. can anyone give me recomendations on the best,worst, etc... Thanks, Tom D

#2 ·
I haven't tried all of them but went with the 444 Cortland clear line because it takes a nail knot unlike some. Although it's not a major deal to use a loop, I prefer the nail knot because it goes thru the guides easier, is harder to see on the flats than a loop (which is why we use a clear line in the first place) and is an easy field repair. It casts very comfortably and is durable. Although I haven't been the biggest fan of another Cortland line (QD) the clear intermediate really performed well and I expect more seasons out of it.

#3 ·
I have the Sci Angler. It is pretty good though it gets a little limp in shallow water in the summer. I have heard really good things about the Air flow too. My favority is the semi clear Rio Striper Int. It is a light grey to clear line. Casts much better then any clear I've ever used.

#4 ·
Tom,
I have the Cortland 440SL clear. I think the first time I used was that day we were over on Monomoy. Took a little getting used to after using the Saltwater 444SL - more false casting (keep in mind I'm new to this stuff). The clear is the rocket taper as opposed to the more aggressive saltwater taper. I believe I saw somewhere that the clear 444SL is now available in the saltwater taper.

Anyhow, I like the line, but would probably prefer the sh2o taper.

Regards,
Fred A.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.