Late UK fishing reporrrrrrt (brrrrrrrrrr!) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Flats Rat

Late UK fishing reporrrrrrt (brrrrrrrrrr!)

Better late than never I guess

This past week-end I hooked up with Steveo and Jamie at one of their South Coast spots. A very "fishy" place too, with loads of structure but, alas on this day. no fish. Another few weeks and it'll be a different story.

Steveo working one of the edges ....

And Jamie catching a few waves ...

The weather was forecast to be Westerly fresh but it decided to blow from the North and it was very cold.

We gave it a good few hours before reparing to a local hostelry for sustenance. One of the beers on tap that day was called "FFF" (triple F) which I thought was pretty cool. It tasted good too!

Great to catch up with the lads from the old country and looking forward to reports as their season warms up.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Adrian, Using only letters to label beer must be an English thing....the best beer that I ever had in my life was in Australia....it was triple X (XXX)...of course I had it in Cairns and when we went to Sidney, I asked for it at the local pub and almost got killed.....comment from the bartender was....."That's northern beer, they call it XXX because they can't spell up there, because they are all stupid, we sell Victoria Bitter".....being fairly smart, I ordered what they had and said that it was better!! Whew!!!!
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 06:03 PM
_

Adrian, thanks for the report. I don't know much about the fishing over there so I'd be interested to hear some details about the types & sizes of fish that can be caught in that area and the flies and tactics that you use for them.

Q
Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Middle Aged Member

Looks just like Chat Ham.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Fondly remember my days in London, drinking Castlemaines (XXX) at the Globe on Marlyebone Road and the Old Rising Sun on Paddington Street, now some sort of art deco club.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to jamie Send a message via Skype™ to jamie
Good too meet up

Adrian, It was great to meet up. As you say in another few weeks once we get rid of the consistent northerlies we should start seeing fish.

I took a few pics and will try and get around to taking them off the camera and posting them.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:28 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Guys - the beers name is Castlemaine XXXX. I am pretty sure you can buy the cans in the US.

Quentin - as to flies and tactics, i think myself, Jamie and Stevo will be honest enough to admit that we shamelessly steal them from you guys !

we use exactly the same lines, flies and tactics although we have to work much harder for our fish as there is much less of them due to commercial overfishing. the fish are also generally smaller - a 5lber is a good fish, 8lber is a speciemen and a 10lber is a fish of a lifetime.

the sport here is in its infancy with only 4 or 5 SWFF guides covering the whole country, but the sport is growing rapidly and we are developing our own flies like the Fag Ash Lil and the Cockatoo Clouser so we are adding a little to the knowledge base.

but no or very little sightfishing here

Mark.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:02 AM

Mark....my apologies on XXX....it should have been XXXX.......this Yank can't spell
I have looked for the beer in the U.S...and to date haven't found it....will certainly inquire again.....darn good beer and potent!!!!
Ron
Old 04-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Squire animal

Here are a couple more photos of that day, this time with Adrian in them... You can just make him out (he's the dot on the far left)

Here he is again fishing a little more sedately!

The pub & grub after the fishing was worth the wait! Still abit early in our season yet.

Great to see you again Adrian.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:55 PM

Boy that last pic loks just like as Fred says Chat Ham light on a big flood tide.

Is it stripers your after over there? Do you have some fish pictures. What saltwater game fish do you guys fish for off the shore? Looks like beautiful water are you fishing near Weymouth, England.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Squire animal

Not quite

OC

We were fishing a beach on the borders of West Sussex and Hampshire. Weymouth is a great place for SWFF and is in the most beautiful of all English counties (IMO)... Dorset.

Game fish... In England... I wish!

We have the European bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) which is a stripeless Striper really, only smaller. Here's a picture of me with a decent sized specimen for the U.K

Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the pic Steveo. I can't decide if it is a good looking fish or not but it does look plenty hardy and a puller. Those big eyes makes me think she is a night feeder.
How do they taste baked or better yet baked in milk? Mnnnn they look good.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC
How do they taste baked or better yet baked in milk?

I have only ever tasted one and that was nearly ten years ago. It was OK - but I prefer Mackerel, freshly smoked, an hour after capture on my own fish smoker with a touch of oak dust... Mmmmmm!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:04 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC
I can't decide if it is a good looking fish or not .
i think they generally are good looking fish - Stevo's is just ugly

the darker ones like Steves fish tend to live over rocks and the more silvery ones over sand.

Mark.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:03 PM

Where do these bass go in Winter? Do they migrate south along the coast of France down to Spain or Africa? Are they found as far north as the Baltics?

One more question about your SW fishing, I find it interesting and it must be fun to have found new places to fly fish. Has anyone there gone off shore looking for Tuna? I can't remember how far out the stream is I think you guys call it the N. Atlantic current.

And what about Atlantic Salmon in the salt? I loved reading Salar the Salmon especially about his trip home and his journey along the coast, feeding to the moonlight watching for ever present danger. They must feed on top from time to time. Would you be allowed to C&R for them?

Ok it is a nice looking fish but I think you guys need to start looking for the 20 pounders!

Last edited by OC; 04-14-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.