Flourocarbon - how far up do you go? - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2001, 10:08 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Flourocarbon - how far up do you go?

I use flouro for SW flats work, trout, inshore tuna and for summer steelhead... but usually just the tippet (90%), sometimes the taper and tippet (10%).

Anyone go further up than the tippet or taper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2001, 10:09 PM

RE:Flourocarbon - how far up do you go?

Also, did anyone else notice that although the leader material does appear less visible, the blood knots look really white and obvious w/ flouro?
Old 02-22-2001, 08:21 PM
Middle Aged Member

Up to my butt. Ha. Being a rookie I tend to listen and learn on such threads but I'll add my .02. I started out using the tapered Big Game leaders with a loop to the tippit. First time to wet a line last April my cast was collapsing, unlike what it had been doing in the backyard. Decided to try something different to compensate for my casting deficencies. I had picked up the Kreh/Sosin knots book and figured I'd try thier recommendation - butt looped to tippet with bimini. I used 30# Rio hard mono for the butt - figured it would lever the fly over. Used 12 or 16# floro for the tippet. Seemed like kind of a waste tying a bimini with floro but being a knot knitwit I was/am paranoid about knotting the floro to mono. This worked out ok. One day during week of the fourth I stood on a bayside flat surrounded by stripers for about an hour with little more than cursory inspection of my fly. Again, to compensate for my incompetence I experimented some more with the leader. Increased the length to 10 or 11 feet and tapered down to 10 # floro. I also changed the butt - 2 1/2 feet of 30#, 1 1/2 feet of 24#, both the Rio hard mono then loop to 16# floro (bimini) 12# then 10#. I tied the floro sections together with an Orvis knot (read about that in Taboury's book) - compact and sound. This combo was something of a revelation for me. My casting improved and I went two days without a casting knot. Typical for me was a casting knot about every 10 to 20 casts. I think what really happened was, I was able to fish on consecutive days and the practice helped plus concerns about having to remove casting knots from the 10# floro forced a little discipline in my casting.

I used that configuration the rest of the season, shortening up with the sinker. I'd like to get rid of the loops - guess its about time to practice some knots.

Regards,
Fred A
Old 02-22-2001, 09:00 PM

Well Fred, having seen you with the flyrod bent all season I'd have to say you were doing something right!

Personally, I don't use any loops at all. It's a bit of a pain but I carry enough maxima pocket spools to tie anything I need right there on the water. The butt comes loose just about never, the taper is replaced occasionally but the tippet is undergoing continual surgery. I just use blood knots for everything after the nail knot or epoxy splice to the fly line. If I could figure out how to get rid of the bumps from blood knots, I'd get rid of them too.

Store bought leaders solve that problem but I like the ability to design my own not to mention the fact that tying one's own offers significant savings. Actually, when it comes to trout leaders I usually just buy.

Everyone has their preference for these things I guess.

Hey Fred, I don't know the Orvis knot and couldn't find it in "Tabory's Inshore FF" - are you looking at another book?
Old 02-22-2001, 09:33 PM
Middle Aged Member

"Stripers On The Fly" Sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.