Waders? Throw up your advice. Patagonia vs. Simms vs. Dan Baileys vs. Cabelas. - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Puma
Waders? Throw up your advice. Patagonia vs. Simms vs. Dan Baileys vs. Cabelas.

OK.

So i'm in the market for a new set of waders. I'm giving my old waders to my g/f and buying myself a pair of nice new ones. So my question is which pair should I get? Anyone have some advice, etc? I def need a pair with built in gravel guards. I wear my waders A LOT so I'm not afraid to spend my money on these. I was looking at the highest priced models for all of these manufacturers. Simms price still seems a little unreasonable for their G3.

Some of these manufacturers also have a deluxe version and a lightweight version. Is it worth spendingt he extra for deluxe? I thought some use the same material but just don't reinforce the knee area, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Unfortunately they will all spring a leak sooner or later if you are putting in a lot of days. There's a good article about breathables in the latest American Angler.

You might want to look at the LLBean Wickedtough and the new Cloudveils while you're at it.

I have settled on buying cheap ones and replacing them every couple years. The prices on the top-end waders are ridiculous.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:54 AM
LBFF Mojo

The simms g3s are very comfortable but are unfortunately called swims by any hardcore angler. They leak and much earlier than they should at that price. Great while they last though.

Ryan at kmans hs been raving about his new cloudveils. I will be getting a pair soon to replace my G3s.

The price bump usually comes from goretex being used which if you fish in hot environs it is a must. Cheaper waders just do not breathe like gore tex and you will defintely feel the difference on a hot day if you are doing a lot of walking.

That being said for beach fishing and such I have started using the simms travel wader. They are cheap and fit in a tiny stuff sack. I find when I am prowling the monomy beaches I do not need waders all the time and it is nice to just lash them to my fishing pack and put them on as needed.

-sean
Old 04-12-2006, 11:31 AM

cloudveil waders huh? i must be out of the loop. this is the first time i'm hearing about these. what really bums me out about waders is that i'm just about 6' with a regular build (not overweight) and have a size 13 foot. this forces me to get a XL wader. my Simms are huge on me which isn't necessarily bad but i seriously don't need all that material!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

cloudveil is more money than simms and is a new product for them ill wait a bit
Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 PM
LBFF Mojo

I see cloudveil is at the same price as simms according to both websites.

The only reason I have some confidence in them is Ryan is very hard on his gear and has already spent 50 days in them. Simms would last him 5.

To hear the cloudveils are still holding up is all I needed to hear. Have some other friends getting them soon and we will see how they report them to be as well.

I am hoping they are the wader I have been looking for...

-sean
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM

"could you post a link to the cloudveil you're referring to? i can't seem to find them on their website. thanks"

nevermind. just found them on someone else's website.

Last edited by Chris Puma; 04-12-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Chris,

I have owned a pair Patagonia SST+ waders for about five years. They do not get as much use as I would like them to, but when called upon to perform -- in cold weather or in warm -- they are up to the task. No leaking so far and a very comfortable fit. The difference between the Patagonia breathables and my olf neoprene waders is night and day. I am not saying there is not another breathable wader out there as good as the Patagonia wader, but next pair of waders I will buy will be the Patagonia.

CK
Old 04-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've had great luck with the Simms guide weights - avg 4 years per pair, used all four seasons with beach shoes and felt sole boots. I also have a pair of the lightweights but as expected they have a couple more aquaseal spots than the guide weights.

The alchohol trick is a real plus for those days when the wire fence was a little higher than the weary legs could lift.

Cloudveil has my interest, knowing Ryan. He is a good person to throw gear on to see how it fares.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-14-2006, 01:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
I love my G3s... have yet to wear a better pair of waders. Patagonia, orvis and the like have not been able to hold up near as well as my G3s. I guided and fished from sept-dec in my G3s as well as duck hunted through the end of January. And then on into winter steelheading out on the o.p. These were 2 yr old waders and they are going strong.
I also just got a pair of Redington CPS waders and at half the price of the major brands they seem to be a much better value. they also come with a 2yr warranty.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:51 PM

I've got the Cloudveil 8X waders and love them so far. I've only worn them about a dozen times so far so I can't speak to their longevity but I will say that they are well thought out. Don't forget that Cloudveil has been around for a number of years in the outdoor clothing industry. They are by no means an upstart company.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:26 PM

Simms has gone downhill in terms of service and quality. I think they're now manufacturing their waders overseas (China probably). My G3s have not been durable at all. My older guide models were. Their original guide models were great but they've gone downhill too.

I hear real good things about Dan Bailey's waders. Everyone I know with them likes them. Most of these users have switched from Simms.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:31 AM

what i really need is a pair of large waders with a 13 foot stockingfoot. simms is the only manufacturer i've found that makes that particular combination. they have the G3 in L (12,13) i believe. anyone know another wader manufacturer has a similar size?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
I have size 14 feet and the redingtons fit me just fine.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Jim Buffalo Outfitters

pescaphile Simms waders are made in the usa in bozeman not china and as far as service they are about as good as it gets. i have had my guide weights for 5 years now and no problems at all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.