Fly Fishing Forum banner

fly line to backing question

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  doug 
#1 ·
Should I re-tie my fly line to the backing at the beginning of each season? Been meaning to ask that for weeks....among a few other things...oh yeah, I forget how to tie a nail knot. Any place "on line" show how it's done?
Thanks.
Doug B.

#3 ·
Sully,
In response to "how many times did I see my backing"...does it count if I was just cleaning my line? :)
Seeing how my largest fish on the fly rod last season was only a 23" striper....no fish ever put me into the backing...I have yet to experience that thrill. I cannot even fathom an "albie on" from shore...I would expect to get "spooled".
Doug

#4 ·
Hi guys, back from the wild northwest. The knot for backing to running line is an albright, similar to a nail knot but the running line is doubled and the backing lays on the outside of the wraps (vs. inside like a nail knot). I'll do a video clip of it, great idea.

This knot doesn't need to be replaced each year per se, but it doesn't hurt to check it because sometimes the moisture on the inside of the backing and/or the coating on the running line weakens and cracks, etc. Should be no problem, I have albrights that are several years old.

Looking forward to seeing our backing knots a lot this season!

Juro

#5 ·
Juro,
How's everything going?!
I guess I started some confusion here. I know that there is a "different" knot...as in not a nail knot, as far as the backing goes. I should have separated my questions better.
I DO, HOWEVER, NEED TO TIE A NEW PIECE OF LEADER ONTO THE END OF MY FLY LINE...sorry about the caps...I'm running out the door! I know Bob D. tied a short piece of mono on with a loop knot to the end of my fly line. Just need to tie a new piece on.
Thanks.
Doug

#6 ·
Guess it's me who misunderstood! For line to leader LOOP, there are three ways to go...

a) nail knotted butt with perfection loop

Here's a nice pic of a nail knot done w/ a tube instead
of a nail (better)<!--http--><a href="http://www.algonet.se/~sjostran/images/nailknut.gif" target="_blank"> HERE </a><!--url-->

The perfection loop can be substituted with a surgeon's
loop but the perfection is preferred due to small size.
It's the loop for the rest of the leader...
<!--http--><a href="http://www.flyfishingjacksonhole.com/fishinglibrary/looptoloop.htm" target="_blank"> Perfection Loop on this site </a><!--url-->

b) braided loop

Braided are the loops you buy (or make from braided
nylon). If you use 'em, make sure you re-inforce the
attachment with a nail knot or aquaseal or both. The
shrink wrap won't cut it around here!

c) epoxy splice

Strip 1/2 of core from end of flyline using acetone
dip. Shave to sharpen end of butt material w/ razor
blade (sounds hard, but it's a pc of cake!). Insert the
pointy butt into the core, keep going until 1/2 inside
the coated line. Apply a drop of zap-a-gap onto the
exposed core, presto! Not even a bump thru the guides.

OR you can nail knot, or epoxy splice the whole leader and omit the loop if you like.

G
#7 ·
Regarding the method of attaching a piece of butt section to the end of your line, tying a perfection loop in it and then looping your leader onto that:

I've used this approach on occasions when i've bought a new line and don't have time to wrap a good loop onto the end of it, and advise against it unless it is the difference between fishing and not fishing :)
On more than one occasion, while trying to break off a snag, i've had the mono at the loop-to-loop junction break. This is pretty remarkable to me, since the mono there was many times stronger than the tippet. My guess is that a braided mono loop on the end of the line is a better thing to loop to, since it is softer and not likely to stress the leader's loop.

Also, if you choose to go with the braided loops that you can buy in a package from cortland/orvis, don't rely on the heat shrink tubing to maintain the "chinese finger cuff" attachment. The heat shrink tubing works well to cover over the frayed end of the braided loop, and the braided loop will seem to be ready for a bluefin tuna. However, a little pressure in the wrong direction of the whole thing from your rod guides will cause it to slip off.
There are a couple of ways to deal with this, one is to coat the braided loop, especially including the heat shrink tubing, with aquaseal. I suggest dilute the aquaseal with cotoul (sp?) so that it can be smoothed out better, and work it into the braid with a business card or something, then smooth it off well so that it isn't too stiff or heavy when it dries.
For even more insurance, what i do is add a couple of lashings of 6lb mono, each approx. 3/8", right next to each other and right next to the heat shrink tubing, before coating the thing with aquaseal. I'm still waiting for a stray bluefin to come along and test the approach :)

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.