best hook style for tarpon (flies not bait) - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 09:04 PM

In the recent magazine featuring the toad, it shows Andy Mill and toad hook where the hook was pulled open some. So he must favor the more thin wire as well to provide better action w/ the toad fly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 08:38 AM

From Andy's statements, he likes the thinner hooks not for better action on the toad but for better penetration - it's easier to penetrate a concrete like mouth (on a tarpon) if you're only trying to make a little hole rather than the bigger penetration required by a thicker gauge wire. He likens it to a hypodermic needle...of course the downside is that you are going to bend more hooks and even break some on bigger fish.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:04 PM

I tie my own tarpon flies and use the Gamakatsu SC15 2H. It has been a very good hook (3/0) for medium and large tarpon. I have had more secure hook sets and fish landed with this hook then with others I have used. I found the points on the TMC 600SP's to roll all too often (I should note that I use a heavy class tippet 25lbs and am putting tremendous pressure, down and dirty, to facilitate quick capture and release). One other thing I noticed is the wide cutting point on the 600SP bores a big hole if not in a soft spot and more of these hooks tend to come out well into the fight if I goof up than the narrow profile of the Gama's point. The Gama's I can sharpen as well, making a very effcient narrow profile point that really digs in. I tried TMC 800S hooks but too many have broken on big fish. The Gama SC15 is too light a wire for big tarpon and will bend with heavy class tippet. I haven't used Owners yet, but by most counts it is one of the best and look forward to trying them. One thing I've noticed for sure, is setting the hook to soon after the take results in more thrown hooks and and poor hook sets. I am by no means an expert. My 2 cents worth.

best fishes, Paul P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.