Slim Beauty Knot - Fly Fishing Forum
Lines, Loops and Leaders Line / Leader Recipes, Loops, Splices, etc.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Slim Beauty Knot

OK thanks to JFBasser I have just retied a gelspun to flyline attachment using the Slim Beauty knot (first try). I like the knot better than an albright and trust that it is much stronger than a loop connection.

I will still use a double surgeon's loop to kevlar loop connector on my Spey reels where I swap lines a lot, since I doubt it will ever break there - but for lines that I do not swap I will replace albrights with this knot for sure.

Here is how to tie it:

Step one...

tie a double overhand knot in the end of the fly line...

Pull slowly and evenly until a figure-eight forms from the tension...

Double over the backing and thread it thru both halves of the figure eight as if they were fly rod guides...

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Then wrap the doubled backing over the flyline several times and tuck it under itself like a clinch knot...

Gradually tighten everything up so the fly line knot comes tight like a little barrel and the backing pulls tight over the flyline like a snell of sorts...

My first try, neither too slim nor very beautiful but you get the gist. I am sure I will get smooth with it over time and also am thinking of alternatives to the clinch wrap on the line side. I will let you know if I come up with anything more like a snell on an old eagle claw bait hook.

Thanks JF!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 03:15 PM

You might want to test the strength. A couple years ago when I tried the same thing it seemed to break easily on the back end of a 9wt SA floater. I only tested it by twice and gave up on it after the second failure. I never liked the albright either. Of course, different fly line types will probably have different results.

OTOH. I've never had a properly installed braided loop fail on any type of fly line. Same with a nail knotted or served fly line loop.

I also didn't like the knot because the resulting diameter is about 3x the original line diameter at the "figure eight" end. Since I could use this knot on bigger lines that are likely to be pulled through the guides, the extra bump did not appeal to me.

But, I've been a huge fan of this knot for some time. It is a fabulous knot for attaching mono bite tipped to the leader. The same holds true for attaching bite tippets to mono and mono to gsp on conventional gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.