Albright - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Jonesin...

Albright

Do you tie your albright knots with a lock? I always start with one but after a few pulls on the standing part of the line the lock pulls away from the albright and eventually comes undone. Now, with that said I haven't had an albright come undone even without the lock but don't want to lose the fish of a lifetime when it happens for the first time. I'm only looking to use this knot on clear intermediate lines where I don't want the bulk or coloring of other connections.

Thanks,

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 08:06 AM

I've never had a problem with an Albright coming loose on my Airflo line. I'm careful in tying it and check it after I do it. FishHawk
Old 04-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I use the extra reverse clinch if that's what you mean by the lock. Not sure it plays an operative role.

Sean since looking at the slim beauty knot I don't know if I will use an albright anymore.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to Skilly Send a message via Yahoo to Skilly
Slim Beauty knot

Juro

Where would I find how to tie a Slim Beauty knot ???

Thanks

Skilly
Old 04-09-2006, 10:12 AM
LBFF Mojo

Sean I just coat mine with loon uv knot sense. which will keep it from unraveling. It also protects the knots and makes them slide through the guides nicer.

-sean
Old 04-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Jonesin...

Juro,

You will use a slim beauty knot to connect a leader butt to a fly line? I played around with the Slim Beauty this winter for shock tippet but can't see wrapping the much thicker fly line around the leader butt. Maybe I'm missing something and will take another look at the knot.

Sean,

I always seat and test the knot before I add any adhesives. I guess in this case I should go a little easier with the tests and apply the knot sense.

Skilly,

I just googled "Slim Beauty Knot" and the first entry should have everything you need including video instruction.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 04-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Hell no, I just re-tied a GSP backing knot on my 6/nine bonefish reel with it and like the knot. You didn't mention leader to flyline (or at least I didn't see it)

Let me turn your question around... would you tie an albright to attach a leader to a fly line? I never do over a well tied nail knot, which I use even on slime lines and never have pull offs.

In fact the most pull offs I've ever experienced have been with sinking lines because of the coating being a little brittle with the impregnated tungsten and that only after a really hard snag on a rock, never on a fish or snag with any kind of give to it.

The compression that a well tied nail knot can achieve by pulling on opposite ends (one tightens the opposite end) is significant and I have had no problems with nail knots to attach butt to line.

The use of the double eyed needle allows you to tighten and arrange your wraps before you tighten (unlike the wide-gap knot tyer tool) so you can bite down hard on both ends.

(Edit notes: I renegged on the "inferior" statement - the albright is of course very strong just stating my preference to knot have a bulky knot that never seems completely finished off to attach my leader)

Last edited by juro; 04-09-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:37 AM

Skilly -

I just put a picture sequence into lines loops and leaders section.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.