Hole in the Water - Fly Fishing Forum
Propwash A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour... good times!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 01:08 PM
CantAnchorUs

Hole in the Water

...is right. It never stops! After last weeks initial trip, all of a mile both ways, the batteries were fully charged. When I dropped the boat in at the ramp at dawn this morning, stowed gear, doned rain gear,put the coffee in the holder and turned the key, nada, zilch! both batteries completely drained. They were in the boat when I bought it so I have no idea how old they were but they won`t hold a charge more than a day or two. $70 later I have one brand new, 1000 amp battery, maybe next week I`ll change the other. Still need to get some electrical wiring straightened out, ya gotta have a bilge pump! And get the new mapping GPS hooked into the elec. but at least I can get out in the river.How so much can go bad on one little boat is beyond me.
Slinger
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 AM

And the bigger the boat gets the bigger that hole in the water becomes!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Jonesin...

Launched for the first time yesterday. Motored out past the no wake zone and went to lower the trim tabs for the hole shot. Heard them lowering for a second and then nothing. Back to the dock and realize the fuze is blown. Not having any on the boat (I know I should have had extra fuses and do now) I made a quick trip to West Marine and back to the ramp. Put in the new fuse and the starboard tab lowered no problem. Try the port tab and no go. Hopefully this won't be a large expense since the tabs are only a year old and under warranty but it just goes to show even a new boat can have issues. Called Lenco today and need to put some direct current straight to the ram motor. They will send a new one if it is bad.

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 12:03 PM

We also launched for the first time on Thursday. After 4 months on the hard our Mason 44 felt really happy to be back in the water. All day Thursday and friday she had up to 8 people working on her. Riggers up the mast completing all the stuff they missed. Marine mechanic completing the new Yanmar 56 hp diesel work. Friday we took her out for sea trials with the mehcanic and she ran so well, I was expecting Murphy's law to take place. Even on sea trials we had riggers on board and up the mast. Friday afternoon the sail makers were on board puting on the altered new main sail and all was great for both Hannah, Tracy and myself. About 5pm reality took place as all these folks waited in line to get paid. Oh I forgot the boat yard and what we owed them for 4 months storage and work. Yes we were in shock! Tracy got real quiet for the rest of the day. Saturday the rigger was still on board doing the final touch to some Halyards, I had the new engine running and wanted to take Hannah home to where she belongs. Finally got the rigger off the vessel and off we went. We were very happy to leave Port Townsend, WA. to say the least. The trip home was 7 hours and we fought a gale of 30 to 35 knots and lousy 6 foot seas but all that time and effort payed off as Hannah didn't even flinch. We were so happy we put the stereo on full blast of rock&roll turned on the cockpit speakers and pushed the boats forward. Spray over the bow with each wave and we stayed dry though we both loved going up on deck in our foul weather gear, safety harness and tether and checking out what it feels like to be wet in rough weather. We made it home to our marina docked her and for the first time I was actually able to sit back on the settee and enjoy what Hannah looked like on the inside without all these tools and parts siting on every available space. For the first time we cooked a beautiful meal aboard, fresh Salmon, greens and a bottle of wine. We still have lots of work to get her ready for the big world cruise/uncharted atoll flyfish/surfing expeditions next year but like for everyone that loves being aboard a boat and the lure of the ocean all the hassels and expenses are worth it. A boat is labor of love even when one has to go to West Marine for parts. Who cares if we all end up in the poor house we got a boat to enjoy our sacred time away from the stresses of regular life. Just smile when you are the cash register of some boat store and remember how sweet it is to be out there doing what you love most.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.