Ridiculous Clave - Silver King Edition - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ridiculous Clave - Silver King Edition

Alright I need some co-conspirators...

Having been bitten bad by the tarpon bug, I am looking for a few good men to go where the wild things live for a weekend of exploration and chance in pursuit of tarpon. A weekend warrior jaunt into tarpon country, and quickly before the stripers arrive.

After witnessing the relationship between tropical lagoons and tarpon populations, having jumped 11 tarpon and a snook in less than two hours recently, I am hooked and started searching for locations where quick sorties would be possible. Preferably US but not limited to, something requiring no vacation days (I am fresh out of 'em).

I came up with Puerto Rico, San Juan to be specific. The area is thick with lagoons, and there are tarpon. In fact a 158 pound fish was caught in the airport lagoon at San Juan. The surrounding area within easy shot of a rental car is also rich with lagoons, some of them in wildlife preserves.

Ameneties abound in this metropolitan area, so it would accomodate such a sortie in terms of conveniences like groceries, cheap hotels, major car rental firms, etc.

The flights are running about $258 round trip non-stop on American Airlines right now (fees and taxes applied to about $300 and change).

With four in the midsize car and splitting a place to tie flies between days this could be the cheapest trip for tarpon in the history of man (excluding residents). Or it could be a total bust, but then so can a trip to the local farm pond.

I am currently researching skiff rental which would keep us right in the San Juan lagoon system. Other options include a search of the areas lagoons within driving distance.

Any one as wild and crazy as I am want to join me?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Just located 16ft Carolina Skiff rentals for $150 / day within proximity of mangrove creeks and bonefish flats, large bonefish photos on the website... but this is a tarpon hunt.

They also have 18ft deep vees etc.

Kayak rentals are much easier to find, many come free with lodging.

Last edited by juro; 04-08-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 AM

Thumbs up Good choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Just located 16ft Carolina Skiff rentals for $150 / day within proximity of mangrove creeks and bonefish flats, large bonefish photos on the website... but this is a tarpon hunt.

They also have 18ft deep vees etc.
Hey Juro,

Puerto Rico is excellent, specially Laguna Verde, it is the tourist district of PR, where all the large hotels and resorts are located. Conditions are the same as the one I described earlier (Early Morning & Late Afternoon + Rainy/Cloudy days as long as it is not too windy.

I would have come with you guys for a week end (been fishing there already), but since the US Passport thing applied in october, we, the french guys living in the caribbean, have to wait untill july to get new passport and enter USA.

I have been once on the NorthEastern coast of PR, Where 2 rivers are flowing into the ocean, and had a good time fishing between murky and clearwater, jumped more than 20, broke off 4 or 5 times, but these are not babies.

If you are going to try Laguna Verde or any other lagoon, try to chose your fish, I am not kidding, depending on the tides, you have some VERY LARGE fish mixed up with babies. Anyway, it will be great fun 4 u. No doubt.

If needed I will provide you guys, with a few pictures of flies that have worked for me in the caribbean lagoons, and a few tips about areas in PR. (a PR friend is living here in st martin)

Regards

Jean Marc
Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 AM

Jean Marc -

Now my already hot blood is BOILING!

How about places without a skiff? Can we find plenty of stake-outs on foot by just renting a car and exploring the various lagoons?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:21 AM

Cool DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Jean Marc -

Now my already hot blood is BOILING!

How about places without a skiff? Can we find plenty of stake-outs on foot by just renting a car and exploring the various lagoons?
Well, I know there are, but beleive me, renting a skiff is best option.

Detailed information following this link :

fishinginpuertorico.com/flyfishpuertorico.htm

The lagoons they are talking about are around San Juan.

See ya

Jean Marc

Last edited by juro; 04-08-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:19 AM

Sorry Jean Marc,

direct hyperlinks etc.

Thanks for the reply. I will always love the "Tom Sawyer / Huck Finn" DIY on your own two feet nature of wade fishing but in this case I hear your advice on the skiff.

I found two rental firms, one on Culebra that sounds great and the other on the main island has no website so I might call them with hopes they speak 'merican.

If I don't raise any co-conspirators I might just do a recon mission on my own.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:56 PM

Just saw this for the first time. I think I could probably swing it, date dependent, if your still looking for a partner ............
Old 04-09-2006, 02:09 AM

I am in! It appears that the Rooster Clave has died so I am doing that one this week on my own. Baby Tarpon on the fly have always been at the top of my "to do" list.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:48 AM

AWESOME

Dave - You are da man!

Tin pusher - the rooster clave has not died but on the Baja side it's reputed to be a June venture and we'd have to go to Costa Rica to get off season shots at roosters. It's much harder to research the logistics down there because of lack of people who have done what we are planning whereas Baja has a lot of previous wingnut explorers like us.

Are you going this week? Did you find some good info we could not dig up on early roosters in Mex?

Details:

Flight to San Juan Friday PM after a reasonable work day (from BOS under $300 r/t non-stop)

first arrival gets rental car
hotel close by (TBD)

Option #1 -
Skiff in San Juan Lagoon area
* still trying to nail down the one on the main island vs. Culebra
* intensive coverage of one area
* catching focused rather than recon focused

Option #2 -
Explore by car
* Hit a number of lagoons in a planned route
* hit the Laguna Verde outlet where webstain hooked a lot
* recon focused rather than catching focused

Option #3 -
Hightail it to Culebra Island
* $150 / day skiff rental
* bonefish flats as well
* not sure about lagoons (?)

Sunday night flight back

Personal notes:

My preference is to assess the potential for a quick, cheap US tarpon destination for claves to come. I want to locate a lot of tarpon, but jumping a few would be extra credit and landing one would be gravy.

If your objective is to hook as many as possible on the first visit then let me know I am not stubborn, also you might consider jumping on a skiff with Omar or an area guide and letting me explore and document the island's lagoons with the rental car.

Thoughts?

The tarpon are there year-round with the peak of the baitfish surface activity in the fall so what we determine now can be applied to curing future tarpon jones which are inevitable with a cheap airfare and a small amount of time invested (weekend).
Old 04-16-2006, 10:00 PM

I went Juro but as I do not speak Spanish finding out info was impossible. Had fun fishing with my son though. See "La Paz Guide recomendations" for the details.

I will be flying from Seattle so I am all for staying a little longer, like maybe 7-10 days. That goes for both the Rooster and Tarpon Cave. As I have never hooked a Tarpon my goals are clear.
#1 Land one
#2 Jump a bunch
#3 Don't become the mosquitos latest blood bank

I will worry about size another trip, for now i just want one on the end of my rod.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:53 PM

Still itchin!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Baby Tarpon

After having luck on Antigua and St. Maarten, I could be talked into a baby Tarpon trip...

Always wanted to explore Puerto Rico....

Keep me in the loop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.