How big is big enough....? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 07:37 PM

Talking How big is big enough....?

Hi guys,

Here are 2 pictures of a fish caught last year, in july, along the beach, with spinning outfit and Super Spook lure.

Fight over 45 minutes on 60lbs. dynemaa.

Fish that size are roaming the big Simpson Bay Lagoon year round and are mostly fished at night.

So for those who asked me before, THEY DO GET THAT BIG around here.

For information, my friend is 187cm high and weights 110 Kg (ex-rugbyman)

THE FISH COULD NOT BE REVIVED AFTER TRYING FOR 25 MINUTES For those concerned with conservation, as I am.

Enjoy it guys

Tight Lines

Jean Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	5605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	5606  

Last edited by webstain; 04-05-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 09:17 AM

WOW, That would have been amazing to catch from shore.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wow that will make you late for work
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Hey Web,

Is that super spook lure a top water bait? I think it be AWESOME to see a big ole tarpon but a bait or popper on top water.

Not sure if a tarpon would bust a popper, never really read about it. Should have tried a popper in St. Kitts that could have been REALLY fun.

Juro,

Did you see any snook or lady fish in St. Kitts? I busted off a smaller snook some how on the first day (bad knot?) did catch 2 or maybe 3 lady fish. Lady fish was a surprise for sure. But fought hard for the size.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:10 PM

I pulled the hook on a snook (no pun intended) along with the 11 jumped poons. It was rather anti-climatic after the silver torpedos and the way they hit, ran and jumped. I got a good look at it and am sure it was one.

I got the impression the tarpon would take a popper early before the sun came over the water.

Last edited by juro; 04-05-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:29 PM

Cool Tarpon and popper.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I pulled the hook on a snook (no pun intended) along with the 11 jumped poons. It was rather anti-climatic after the silver torpedos and the way they hit, ran and jumped. I got a good look at it and am sure it was one.

I got the impression the tarpon would take a popper early before the sun came over the water.
I agree with Juro on the early morning thing, and tarpons do bite on surface bait, I already caught babies at 6.30 in the morning on Green/Yellow poppers (forget about reusing it after a tarpon chew it for 5 minutes ) with one condition thoug : RETREIVE IT SLOW AND TAKE LONG PAUSES IN BETWEEN (2 to 3 Seconds): 99% of the time the tarpon hits on the slightest pull after a pause. Apparently they can watch your lure for a while, before striking hard, and they do it just before it reaches shore, so leave it in the water untill the last second. The surface tarpon attacks are rageous and even scarry sometimes .

Tight lines

PS: Bonefish session tomorrow morning early, you will get full report before noon .

Jean Marc
Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock... Noons a coming..
Old 04-06-2006, 05:03 PM

Unhappy Well....

Bonefish Report:

Wind gust up to 20knts, clouds, water a bit murky = Recipe for a disaster.

Found tailing fish on the grass as soon as arrived, goofy cast, ended on their backs= Big fuss and water explosion. I tought they were three, but when I spook these 3, I discovered they were more than I could count on a 100 sq metre .

Finally got I a good position, wind in my back, and waited for them to pass by the Channel they use, to go from one flat to the other. Got a chance at 2 nice fish, but saw them at the last second, because of clouds and water colour.

I have chosen the worst day to go bonefishing, my friend who went for tarpon in the lagoon, went 4 for 15 , and thanks to the clouds, was able to fish untill 10am.

That's it guys. Will probably go for tarpon saturday morning, I will get you more pictures.

Tight lines.

Jean Marc
Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 PM

Jean Marc -

Sounds like weather was not on your side today - however you got shots at a lot of bones and you can go tarpon fishing to make up for it... two things I CAN NOT DO

hehe

well thanks for the report just the same and keep them coming!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 PM

Well at least I know your mortal. For second there I thought you caught em everytime!! Thats why its called fishing not catching. Also helps to make us want to go sooo much the next time. Thanks for the report! I plan on steelheading this weekend. I'll give a report here even though this is a salt area.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Smile Honesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBoneguy
Well at least I know your mortal. For second there I thought you caught em everytime!! Thats why its called fishing not catching. Also helps to make us want to go sooo much the next time. Thanks for the report! I plan on steelheading this weekend. I'll give a report here even though this is a salt area.

well, I started fishing when I was 10 and I have the chance of living in a place where fish is abundant, but I have nothing to prove to anybody, and everything to prove to myself. This is why I am trying to share with others and be honest.

The best fishing session, is not the one where you catch big and plenty, but the one that you share with friends and/or family. Fishing alone is quite depressive sometimes. Good moments are meant to be shared.

Tight lines to you, and remembering the pleasures of Stream trout fishing, you are a lucky guy too.

Jean Marc
Old 04-07-2006, 04:05 PM

Jean,

Well said! Have a great weekend! I'm a little concerned my rivers maybe over flowing from recent rain, chance for snow this evening. Still keeping my fingers crossed. Itching for round 2 w/ steelhead. Take care everyone and fish your rears off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.