need a rod - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 09:42 AM

need a rod

hey, i want to buy a good quality fly rod and reel setup that i can use in salt water, for tiger fish, catfish, and also for some big bass...

what weights/actions/lengths etc do you guys recomend, and what reels and line will match?

i'm really new at this, but have a 5 weight, and have learnt and caught a bit on that...

any help will be appreciated greatly, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 04:54 PM

Thumbs up

In my opinion you would be best served by an 8 to 9 weight, medium-fast to fast action, 9 ft fly rod. You don't mention how much you want to spend. I'd go with something you won't "grow out of" too quickly. There are a lot of choices... a few manufacturers to look at are St. Croix, Sage, G. Loomis, Orvis, Temple Fork Outfitters, etc. For nice rods that won't break the bank, I'd recommend St Croix and Temple Fork. Others will undoubtedly give you other recommendations as well. An 8 wt rod will give you plenty of use for in the salt for light to medium duty and in freshwater for big bass. I'd go to the 9 wt if the fish are really big and strong. I haven't personally fly fished for catfish (or Tiger Fish for that matter!), but I'm sure it can be done and an 8 to 9 wt would probably be just the ticket. A fast action rod will allow you to get your fly out there on those windy days. PS, how big are Tiger Fish? I've seen pictures of them with their Barracuda-like teeth, but don't really know much about them. To me they look like a Striper with a mouth full of fangs!

As for reels, that's ALWAYS a topic of hot debate! Everyone has their preferences, and there are many issues for reels when used in saltwater. One of the most debated is the issue of whether an open cork based drag or the sealed drag is the best way to go. I won't take sides there. Here is one area where you definitely get what you pay for. Suffice it to say a nice, saltwater approved (anodized with stainless steel parts) model that will hold an 8 wt line and at least 150 yds (or more) of 20lb to 30 lb backing. Some moderately priced models to consider (if using in the salt) would be the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor, the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor and the Redington Breakwater. These are not the top recommendations, but fair to OK for light duty salt. The top reels for the salt can be quite expensive. Tibor, Danielsson (the maker of Loop reels), Abel, Bauer, Ross 'Canyon' Big Game, Orvis 'Vortex', Old Florida (especially the 'Nautilus' reels) are a few of the higher end models that will give top duty in the salt. They aren't cheap, but are worth the cost of admission if they will be used a lot in saltwater. If salt is not an issue, its a different story and many other models would be worthy of your consideration.

There are a lot of lines on the market for saltwater use. If it were me, I'd take a long look at Scientific Anglers, they seem to have that market pretty well covered. Too many models to list, but look for one suited to the water conditions and temperatures you plan to fish. Many of the lines designed for coldwater use will turn to mush and not cast well in the heat. By the same token, stiff core tropics lines are not well suited to coldwater...you get the idea. If its possible, go to a fly shop to get the advice you require for your specific conditions that will allow you to make an educated purchase. Scientific Angler's website also gives very good descriptions of their lines.

Hope this helps a bit. Like I said, others will probably give their opinions as well.

Don

Zugbugz - Arizona

Last edited by zugbugz; 04-16-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to D3Smartie
the one thing i must have when buying a rod is a 100% guarantee. For that reason almost all of my rods are Sage (that and they build them like 2 minutes from my house). Depending on how much you want to spend everyone is probably going to point you in a different direction. I do not like TFO rods but there is a strong group of people here that love 'em. Winston and Sage are the two companies that IMO have the best rods made. Others make some nice rods but when fished side by side it is very easy to feel the difference in the rods.
Let us know how much you want to spend and i think you will get better advice. or atleast more focused.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
That's a VERY open question. You'll get as many opinions as there are countries in the world. Do you have any fly shops near you where you can test out some rods?

btw, Welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.