Steelhead Fly of the week Sol Duc Spey - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies Spey flies to mixed wings, new innovations

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 09:12 AM

Steelhead Fly of the week Sol Duc Spey

Syd Glasso is considered by many to be the father of the steelhead spey fly. His flies were beautiful and elegant yet simple in there construction. This one he created for fishing, of course, the Sul Duc River.

While this is a relatively simple fly to tie, the wing can be a bit tricky. The hackle tips used in its construction should be tented over the body. Flattening the stems of the hackles at the tie in point, and slightly twisting them with a pair of flat nosed pliers or tweezers before tying them in can achieve this.

Hook: Up eye salmon hook.
Tag: Flat silver tinsel.
Rib: Oval silver tinsel.
Body: Rear 2/3: hot orange floss; front 1/3: hot orange goat dubbing.
Body hackle: Yellow saddle hackle, long and webby.
Throat: Black heron substitute.
Wing: Four hot orange hackle tips.
Head: Red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolDucSpey.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	5595  
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2006, 09:19 AM

I have to comment, this tie is gorgeous. I would guess that Syd himself would be proud of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to beau purvis
solduc

Nice Job.One of my favorite flies.Hooked a couple of big fresh Atlantics on a Solduc last June!Beau
Old 04-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Pullin' Thread

Charlie,

This is a fly I always have with me when fishing for winter steelhead. Glasso's Orange Heron is the spey fly I use most often in winter; but the Sol Duc Spey is one I turn to when fishing early morning or when the river is rising with rain. In fact, I carry the Orange Heron, Brown Heron, Gold Heron, Sol Duc Spey, Sol Duc, Sol Duck Dark, and Glasso's Polar Shrimp in winter and his Grey Heron and Black Heron in summer.

This fairly easy to tie pattern (as are all of the Glasso speys) really only has the wing as the tricky part and once a person learns how to do Glasso tented hackle point wings, they become easy as well.

I wrote a discription on how to tie Glasso speys a while ago, do a search for the Orange Heron and you will find it.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:42 AM

A beginners question. What does a spey fly like this represent to the steelhead? Are the colors and the patterns of the colors critical? Do these work well on GL tribs? I agree, a beautiful fly.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Steelhead don't eat for subsistence once they enter the river, or at least not in a meaningful way like before. They react.

So all of the successful flies are the ones that elicit a response from a fish in the moment of encounter, which I feel is a deep instinctive response from some half-memory as a smolt, or a frenzy at sea - or even in spawning as the urge to protect or pick up loose eggs, etc.

Therein lies the most complicated part of steelhead fishing - eliciting a response. The rest is really kind of simple.

For those who persist in researching and mastering that aspect of the steelhead's response system that comes to a fly (rather than reacts to a fly that comes to it) these types of flies are not just beautiful but very practical.

The design of the Spey fly lends itself to presentation as well as visual attraction. From the loop eye / double turle to the length of the shank to the bend and the point, everything is by design. The dressing alludes to life without bulk, the body suggests a structure not unlike things the fish may have encountered with good results in the past, and the wing is no less important to the fly as a sail to a ship.

You can tap into many dimensions of a steelhead psyche. You can fool it with dripping roe. You can break down it's resistance with repeated nymph drifts. Or you can move the fish to the swung fly like a man.

This fly, and many others, are designed for that task.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-05-2006, 09:15 AM

Well done, Charlie,...bloody well done.

Some people may opine that Glasso's flies are "fairly easy to to tie", but it takes an extremely gifted tyer to dress any Glasso Spey with the same soul, spirit, and character as an original Glasso fly.

Glasso's genius is easy to talk about - but almost impossible to replicate.

Igor
Old 04-06-2006, 06:27 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Charlie,

Your flies are simply wonderful. I really appreciate your taking the time to show we mere mortals what is possible with feathers and fur. Do you ever tie one that is not perfect?

Thanks again.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.